probably a REALLY bad question

facerolla

Jul 24, 2009
probably a REALLY bad question

Im running vista as my OS and Ive been wanting to get back into the beat of Diablo before I hit up the good ol' diablo 3. Im just curious (you know, BEFORE I shell out 50 bones for an english version of diablo 2) does diablo 2 run on vista?

Re: probably a REALLY bad question

Thank you. That is not the term that is usually applied to me.

BEFORE I shell out 50 bones for an english version of diablo

Btw, if you buy the French version for 20 bucks, you can always download an English patch somewhere. All text will become English, only the spoken dialogue will remain French.

That's what I did :p

Just buy the cd keys and get burned discs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "buy the cd keys", since no one sells legitimate cd keys that require burned discs. Also, using someone else's burned discs violates the EULA*, and is not a method to be promoted here.

I think that that's terrible advice.

* It might be okay if those burned discs are the legal backup that the original licensee made, and you are getting the same cd keys that came with the originals that the burned copy was made from.

Facerolla: I don't recall having any trouble running D2 in Vista. :dontknow: My laptop's video card is not the best (actually it's the video driver that is lame), but other than that, no problems, iirc.

Edit: actually, I did record iso images onto my hard disk, but I don't recall if that was needed to get 1.12 working in vista (leaning toward no). I think that I only made iso images because I wanted to try to get 1.07 working without using discs (laptop has no optical drive).

Last edited:

Just buy the cd keys and get burned discs.

There's two problems with this

a) the cd-keys you buy could be used by 10,000 other people, and could be banned or something on battle.net
b) the burned cd's (unless made by you) could contain god knows what, including key loggers or trojans.

As mentioned by SnickerSnack, it's pretty bad advice. Just buy the game from Blizzard.

If you have a legitimate CD key, whatever the source, you can download the game directly from Blizzard (make a new account on Battle.net) and play with no CDs at all.

Of course, it is very hard to know whether your CD key is legitimate or not without getting it directly from Blizzard–the sites that claim to sell legit CD keys all look pretty sketchy to me, and it would suck to have your account deleted suddenly down the road if somehow Blizzard got wise.

The better shops actually provide working keys and will replace them if they don't. With the keys you can then download the game from Blizzard

If you have a legitimate CD key, whatever the source, you can download the game directly from Blizzard (make a new account on Battle.net) and play with no CDs at all.

Of course, it is very hard to know whether your CD key is legitimate or not without getting it directly from Blizzard–the sites that claim to sell legit CD keys all look pretty sketchy to me

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to find that most of them weren't totally honest.

So, is the "no CDs at all" part of the download service, or simply because of the 1.12 no-cd patch? Hmmm.

The better shops actually provide working keys and will replace them if they don't. With the keys you can then download the game from Blizzard

I think it's perfectly legal to transfer (sell) cd keys, but I believe you're suposed to transfer all discs at the same time too (maybe it's not required if you destroy the cds first). I'd be curious to know if such sites are following all of the rules (I wouldn't buy them since I have 2 sets of keys already, but still, curious). I'd imagine that it's okay to sell/buy the keys without discs, but you then violate copyright law by using burned discs obtained another way (also the whole spy/malware thing).

So, is the "no CDs at all" part of the download service, or simply because of the 1.12 no-cd patch? Hmmm.
Both? I think most of the comments about burned CDs are irrelevant, because Blizzard has put a good amount of effort into making sure we don't need the CDs to play at all.

The scenario I'm most concerned about is if some purveyor of CD keys is somehow generating them illegitimately and has a way to check that they haven't been claimed yet. (giving the illusion of legitimacy) Then they are effectively selling a key that Blizzard may have sold to somebody else, and this is potentially problematic for everybody involved. If all they're doing is selling keys they found in (non-stolen) boxes, I highly doubt Blizzard cares one iota, whether it's against the EULA or not.

If it's part of the download service, then I'm in. I want to play 1.07 without the cds, but I suspect that the download is already patched to 1.12.

I'm quite sure that it's only patch 1.12a that doesn't need cds.

As I said, I'm sure it's legal (and honest) to resell cd-keys (so even if blizz didn't like it, there's isn't anything they could do about it), but I suspect that some purveyors are not honest. If I was in the market for some cd-keys and I found an ebayer that was selling only one set (not a batch of 50 or 50 separate auctions or something), then it might look legitimate. But, I wouldn't buy them from a site that does that as a regular thing. I'm not sure why, but it seems more likely that that would include illegitimate cd-keys. I don't think there's anyway to find out without wasting a lot of Lincolns. (I hear it's 5 bucks per cdkey set, and it takes a lot to be statistically significant.)

Edit: I agree that Blizz doesn't care about people reselling cd-keys. That right is expressly given to the licensee in the EULA.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High