Do I have gear (merc too) to beat 1.09 Hell Guardians? ifr

RobbyD

Jun 16, 2009
Do I have gear (merc too) to beat 1.09 Hell Guardians?

At least on person has said they find my posts/questions interesting, and I have gotten some good advice from experienced people, so I'll keep at it.

I have been running Mephisto for a couple of days now, and decided to sit back and take inventory and try out a few things.

Here are the current notable drops from Meph:

Code:
Ginther's Rift
Dimensional Blade
One-Hand Damage: 29 to 76
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Dexterity: 60
Required Strength: 85
Required Level: 37
Sword Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x8ac0aec6
+112% Enhanced Damage
Magic Damage Reduced by 9
Adds 50-120 magic damage
+40 Maximum Durability
30% Increased Attack Speed
Repairs 1 durability in 5 seconds

Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest
Death Mask
Defense: 120
Durability: 15 of 20
Required Strength: 55
Required Level: 66
Fingerprint: 0xca85171d
+60 to Life
+30 to Mana
+45 Defense
All Resistances +15
10% Life stolen per hit
10% Mana stolen per hit

Sureshrill Frost
Flanged Mace
One-Hand Damage: 49 to 76
Durability: 33 of 60
Required Strength: 61
Required Level: 39
Mace Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x7f53e63b
+177% Enhanced Damage
+5 to Minimum Damage
+10 to Maximum Damage
Adds 63-112 cold damage over 5 seconds
150% Damage to Undead
Freezes Target
Cannot Be Frozen
Level 9 Frozen Orb (27/50 Charges)

Shadow Song
Legend Sword
One-Hand Damage: 50 to 125
Two-Hand Damage: 111 to 207
Durability: 23 of 23
Required Dexterity: 90
Required Strength: 165
Required Level: 44
Sword Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xf73c1060
+45% Enhanced Damage
+150 to Attack Rating
+1 to Minimum Damage
+2 to Maximum Damage
Cold Resist +14%
Knockback
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Hellslayer
Decapitator
Two-Hand Damage: 100 to 276
Durability: 38 of 40
Required Dexterity: 33
Required Strength: 189
Required Level: 66
Axe Class - Slow Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x68a0d15a
+25 to Life
+100% Enhanced Damage
Adds 150-250 fire damage
10% Chance to cast Level 19 Fire Ball on attack
+3% to Maximum Damage (3 per Character Level)
+0 to Strength (0.5 per Character Level)
+0 to Vitality (0.5 per Character Level)

Fleshrender
Barbed Club
One-Hand Damage: 71 to 117
Durability: 56 of 56
Required Strength: 30
Required Level: 38
Fingerprint: 0xef378c00
+158% Enhanced Damage
+35 to Minimum Damage
+50 to Maximum Damage
+20 Maximum Durability
Prevent Monster Heal
150% Damage to Undead
25% Chance of Open Wounds
20% Chance of Crushing Blow
20% Deadly Strike
+1 to Druid Skill Levels
+2  to Shape-Shifting Skills (Druid Only)

Ferocious Reinforced Mace
One-Hand Damage: 103 to 123
Durability: 39 of 60
Required Dexterity: 46
Required Strength: 145
Required Level: 47
Item Level: 75
Fingerprint: 0xb2c248d3
+146% Enhanced Damage
150% Damage to Undead

Todesfaelle Flamme
Zweihander
One-Hand Damage: 46 to 83
Two-Hand Damage: 69 to 128
Durability: 32 of 50
Required Dexterity: 94
Required Strength: 125
Required Level: 46
Sword Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xaf05197d
+133% Enhanced Damage
Fire Resist +40%
Adds 50-200 fire damage
+10 Fire Absorb
10% Chance to cast Level 6 Fire Ball on attack
Level 10 Enchant (32/45 Charges)
Level 10 Fire Wall (5/20 Charges)

Blood Razor
Ettin Axe
One-Hand Damage: 83 to 164
Durability: 8 of 24
Required Dexterity: 45
Required Strength: 145
Required Level: 52
Axe Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x1f25a642
+9 to Strength
+145% Enhanced Damage
+243 to Attack Rating
+21 poison damage over 4 seconds
40% Increased Attack Speed

I had been using The Minotaur (with a sweet roll) to run Meph, but I levelled up and invested a little in Strength to give the Hellslayer a try... WOW - it kills FAST - no Slows Target or CB, but the sheer output of damage takes Meph down fast!

Still no Doombringer or Dangoon's Teaching, but I'm pretty sure the Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest will be an item I'll be wearing (the +life and dual leech trump the +2 Barb skills on my rare Rage Mask, I think - plus the 15 resists allow for some resist charms to be replaced with damage charms).

Am I right about this? I have a +1 Barb skill ammy I gambled (can't gamble a +2 at my level - 77).

Anyway, I was surprised at all the perks on the Fleshrender and the Frozen Orb charges on the Shureshrill Frost and the speed on the Ginther's Rift and that rare Blood Razor Ettin Axe - does anybody have any thougts on outfitting Glinter's Rift or Blood Razor on the primary attack slot and the Fleshrender or Shureshrill Frost on the off-weapon hand with Frenzy? Will the Frozen Orb charges and "Freezes Target" on Shureshrill Frost be useful against the Guardians, or will the CB/PMH/OW on the Fleshrender help more?

Or... should I just give in and keep on the Concentrate 2H with the Hellslayer against these guys? I also get a nice bump to life/vitality from that weapon along with the big damage - and it looks like the biggest drop I've gotten.

Or... keep running Mephisto for my Baranar's Star and/or Dangoon's Teaching?

About my Merc (NM Act 2 HF) - he's been sporting a Hone Sundan with AmnAmnShael, but I found some interesting Polearms/Spears I'd like to submit for your thoughts:

Code:
Woestave
Halberd
Two-Hand Damage: 17 to 63
Durability: 53 of 55
Required Dexterity: 47
Required Strength: 75
Required Level: 28
Polearm Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 75
Fingerprint: 0x699c2d45
+37% Enhanced Damage
-3 to Light Radius
Hit Blinds Target +3
Prevent Monster Heal
-50 to Monster Defense Per Hit
Freezes Target
50% Chance of Open Wounds
Slows Target by 50%

The Meat Scraper
Lochaber Axe
Two-Hand Damage: 18 to 159
Durability: 47 of 50
Required Strength: 80
Required Level: 41
Polearm Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x8de5400a
+171% Enhanced Damage
10% Life stolen per hit
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
30% Increased Attack Speed
50% Chance of Open Wounds
+3  to Masteries Skills (Barbarian Only)

The Impaler
War Spear
Two-Hand Damage: 28 to 98
Durability: 29 of 30
Required Dexterity: 25
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 31
Spear Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xba3d7d7b
+160% Enhanced Damage
+150 to Attack Rating
20% Increased Attack Speed
+5 to Impale (Amazon Only)
+3 to Power Strike (Amazon Only)
Ignore Target Defense
Prevent Monster Heal
40% Chance of Open Wounds

Beast Branch
Stygian Pike
Two-Hand Damage: 42 to 189
Durability: 63 of 105
Required Dexterity: 97
Required Strength: 168
Required Level: 49
Spear Class - Normal Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x7655c7df
+28% Enhanced Damage
+34 to Attack Rating
+4 to Minimum Damage
+4 to Maximum Damage
255% Damage to Undead
+266 to Attack Rating against Undead
5% Chance to cast Level 1 Amplify Damage on striking

All of these have attributes that makes me consider replacing the Hone - change to cast AD, OW, Slow Target, PMH, ITD, Freezes Target, etc. Does anybody have any thoughts on whether any of these poles/spears will help my merc survive and help me with the Guardians?

Any input would be appreciated, as has been the advice I've already received from Forum members that has helped me get this far.

-----------
Addendum-

Other options continue to be to run the tunnels under Pindle and Frozen River, etc. for a white Colossus Sword or Scourge for my Larzuk reward to runeword for "Honor" or go back to farming Act1 Normal for chippies for the Colossus Sword I bought - a question would be whether these are likely to get me what I need ("Honor" or Cruel) more effeciently than running Meph or using what I've already obtained.

Last edited:
Re: Do I have gear (merc too) to beat 1.09 Hell Guardians?

Before I say anything, don't take my words very far, as I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

I think that the Meat Scraper seems like it could be good for your merc. If you equipped it along with the Tal's Mask, your merc would probably never die as long as he is in combat. I know the damage is low, but 20% life leech is so godly that I think it might be worth it. You can also look forward to the open wounds (can't hurt can it?), and desert mercs seem to have a noticeable difference in attack speed between slow and fast items.

I also think that with some kind of leech item (such as a ring) on yourself, the Hellslayer's high physical damage should be able to keep you alive. I don't know how much life you need to leech, but if you were able to go with some kind of leech that lets your merc have the mask, you guys could make for a good team.

That's all I can think of. Hopefully someone with good knowledge of the game will come by and point out the many mistakes I don't know I made. :crazyeyes:

P.S. Don't worry about my previous comments about getting 1.09 to run, as I have found a no-CD loader that beats the Vista blues :D

Before I say anything, don't take my words very far, as I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

I think that the Meat Scraper seems like it could be good for your merc. If you equipped it along with the Tal's Mask, your merc would probably never die as long as he is in combat. I know the damage is low, but 20% life leech is so godly that I think it might be worth it. You can also look forward to the open wounds (can't hurt can it?), and desert mercs seem to have a noticeable difference in attack speed between slow and fast items.

I also think that with some kind of leech item (such as a ring) on yourself, the Hellslayer's high physical damage should be able to keep you alive. I don't know how much life you need to leech, but if you were able to go with some kind of leech that lets your merc have the mask, you guys could make for a good team.

That's all I can think of. Hopefully someone with good knowledge of the game will come by and point out the many mistakes I don't know I made. :crazyeyes:

P.S. Don't worry about my previous comments about getting 1.09 to run, as I have found a no-CD loader that beats the Vista blues :D

I do already have a rare with 6% life leech on a ring, and it IS noticable when I hit on Meph runs - so the Tal Rasha's is not ABSOLUTELY necessary (I have another rare with 7% LL ring as well if it's needed, but I'll have to make up the 30% LR with charms if I do that), so I guess I could put that Tal Rasha's on the Merc (especially since it replaced a +2 Barb Skiller Rage Mask on me). If that's the more effective arrangement, I'll set it up (I'll have to switch the IK boots with Natalya's Soul boots and give up that AR boost as well).

I see your point on the Meat Scraper, but I had not really put that on the top of the list due to the two Amns and the Shael on the Hone providing 14% life leech and breakpoint IAS combined with the 45% CB... with bigger damage than the Meat Scraper, so I checked the stats. Does the 30% IAS on base speed of 10 on the Meat Scraper make a faster weapon than the 20% IAS (from the Shael) on base speed of 0 on the Yari? I don't know the answer to that, but the Hone lists as "Fast Attack Speed" when equipped, and 1.09 CB>1.10 CB, while 1.09 OW<1.10 OW at high clvls (from what I understand).

I was more thinking that the best candidates were the Blind Target/Slow Target/Freeze Target/OW/-Targe defense of the Woestave or the chance to cast Amplify Damage on the rare Stygian Pike - maybe with Tal Rasha's mask for the leech, since these weapons don't provide for that?

I'm glad you got your drive issue cleared up, and it's nice to have some others rolling old-school 1.09 that I can chat with. What kind of character are you thinking of using? Maybe we can do some 1.09 trading at some point? Once I (hopefully) Pat this Barb, I might be looking to do some trading.

If you have any questions about my experience with this 1.09 run, please feel free to ask!

Does the 30% IAS on base speed of 10 on the Meat Scraper make a faster weapon than the 20% IAS (from the Shael) on base speed of 0 on the Yari?

I believe I can answer this - The weapons would both end up at -20.

Does the 30% IAS on base speed of 10 on the Meat Scraper make a faster weapon than the 20% IAS (from the Shael) on base speed of 0 on the Yari?

I believe I can answer this - The weapons would both end up at -20.

IAS follows a dimishing returns formula ( EIAS = 120*IAS/(120+IAS) ), so the weapos would end up at (assuming no other IAS) -14 and -17. To find out if there is an actual difference in attackspeed you need to check some attackspeed tables (or just use an attackspeed calculator)

IAS follows a dimishing returns formula ( EIAS = 120*IAS/(120+IAS) ), so the weapos would end up at (assuming no other IAS) -14 and -17. To find out if there is an actual difference in attackspeed you need to check some attackspeed tables (or just use an attackspeed calculator)

I thought the diminishing returns only applied to off-weapon IAS?

I'm glad you got your drive issue cleared up, and it's nice to have some others rolling old-school 1.09 that I can chat with. What kind of character are you thinking of using? Maybe we can do some 1.09 trading at some point? Once I (hopefully) Pat this Barb, I might be looking to do some trading.

If you have any questions about my experience with this 1.09 run, please feel free to ask!

Currently I've started a sorc that is destined for nova/FO/hydra, but I'm still not sure what would be the build for me. What build did you start out with?

I also wouldn't get too exited about 1.09 trading as well. I have horrible luck with finding items (the best I've gotten on my 142 mf necro from NM Mephisto would be a sol rune and a decent merc stick).

Although I do remember that back in 1.11 I used to find a lot more than I do now, so maybe 1.09 will be good for me (whereas 1.00 is just painful).

Diminishing returns apply for everything. For some attacks, off-hand IAS doesn't work at all or works separately for each weapon.

I thought the diminishing returns only applied to off-weapon IAS?

Well, this is clear as mud to me. Thanks for the help with the Merc weapon attack speed, but does anybody have advice for what frenzy weapons to use? I've worked out a setup that gives my merc the Tal Rasha's mask with 10% dual leech, so I think I'll go with the multi bonuses of the Woestave.

I've also worked out a way to don the +6 LL and +7 LL rings and keep my resistances maxed, so I'm considering going RH Earthshaker and LH Sureshrill Frost for the freezing and Orb charges, keeping the Hellslayer on switch if the Frenzy isn't making progress.

Does this sound like a viable plan?

considering the yari and lochaber axe:
Meat Scraper will jab at 3.33 attacks per seconds/10% ll/50% OW/80-96 avg dmg
Hone Sundan will jab at 3.57 attacks per seconds/14% ll/45% CB/144-162 avg dmg
imo the hone sundan wins hands down.

@sethyboy: I like barbs to start 1.09. They are good untwinked and can leap over the moat to run meph to equip other characters. Meph is leachable in 1.09, so Frenzy, Concetration, or Whirlwhind builds can all be good.

hone sundan is a strong merc weapon. I'd keep it. The CB will do a lot of damage if he lands a hit, but i would probably expect him to die to the ancients. My recent memories of them are all in 1.10, but they almost always kill the merc quick to very quick. Use attack speed calculator if you think you need every bit of help.

Orb charges won't do anything useful for you, since you would be better swinging the weapon than casting a spell from the charge.

Freezes Target and blinds targets don't work on bosses, ancients etc, so leave them out of your decision making.

Right now your Frenzy weapon options are all exceptional Uniques. I'd probably like to see one Elite unique/set/high damage magic/rare.

Hellslayer+concentration can probably get it done if you can hit the ancients consistently.

If you are itching to go with frenzy Ginther's Rift primary and Sureshrill Frost should put out good damage with your mixed masteries.

Some tricks that might put you over the top:
Frenzy up to max speed, then use Double swing its usually a frame or so faster. Frenzy every few seconds to keep its 'speed' charge.

For ancients: Respawn them with town portal if you see bad mods.
Litter the ground with Reds/blues potions just before the fight. Sometimes you'll use up your belt fighting all 3, but get 1-2 killed and just need a few more pots to finish the last guy. The potions will disappear after a while, so get to it once you lay them out.

You might also put your 50% slow weapon on switch and hit each ancient with that, then switch to your kill setup. At least for me, weapon switch has some glitches in 1.09, so make sure you are not attacking or being attacked when you switch. One or both of those actions seems to desync the game.

Shame you're not a WW barb. Hellslayer + Tals Mask would beat Hell Ancients on 1.09 without any other gear required (simply due to the massive life leeching that can be done in 1.09).

Maybe drop 1 point in WW and kill them that way anyway. With Tals you
should leech back your mana fully, and even the minus damage at level 1 still makes it better than concentration. Kill the thrower quickly while avoiding the Korlic's leaping hits and Talic's whirls, then kill Korlic, and then Talic.

So yeah, you should be fine as is. As mentioned, you can use other strategies to help guarantee success, like littering with pots (quite cheese though), and rerolling for easy mods (again, quite cheese), but I think you're already set for beating them on 1.09 at players 1.

IMO Hell Ancients are much more difficult post leech nerf.

As stated Hone Sundan wins hands down for merc weap. If he hits a CB shot before he dies then kudos, but don't bank on him to be a valuable force in the battle.

Shame you're not a WW barb. Hellslayer + Tals Mask would beat Hell Ancients on 1.09 without any other gear required (simply due to the massive life leeching that can be done in 1.09).

Maybe drop 1 point in WW and kill them that way anyway. With Tals you
should leech back your mana fully, and even the minus damage at level 1 still makes it better than concentration. Kill the thrower quickly while avoiding the Korlic's leaping hits and Talic's whirls, then kill Korlic, and then Talic.

So yeah, you should be fine as is. As mentioned, you can use other strategies to help guarantee success, like littering with pots (quite cheese though), and rerolling for easy mods (again, quite cheese), but I think you're already set for beating them on 1.09 at players 1.

IMO Hell Ancients are much more difficult post leech nerf.

As stated Hone Sundan wins hands down for merc weap. If he hits a CB shot before he dies then kudos, but don't bank on him to be a valuable force in the battle.

Hmmm - interesting idea. I have a +2 Barb Skills helm and a +1 barb Skills ammy, so a point in WW gets me to 4 (along with 13 life leech total in my rings already and 5 Mana leech in my "M'avina's Tenet" Belt, so I think I can keep my skiller Rage Mask!) - I was planning on leveling to 78 anyway before taking them on, and hopefully finding a socketable Colossus Sword (or Scourge in a pinch) along the way - so I may just give that a try!

Thanks.

I would definitely stick with the Tals Helm over the +2 skiller. All res, and the 10/10 leech is too good.

Get a couple of 5%+ LL rings, and you're set. 20% LL, 10% mana and you'll be gobbling back up your bulbs with every whirl.

Another strategy to boost you, is to socket that Hellslayer with a Shael rune. Doing so will take you from 12 frames WW attack to 8 frames (according to this: http://diablo3.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english). These are substantial gains.

Do player 8 Blood Runs to get your levelling done, and while you're doing those you can practice the WW strategy (as it should mow through the enemies there).

Still haven't found out what your mastery allocation is. Hopefully you don't hit AR problems with the Hellslayer. It's a shame you can't do two sockets and use the 1.09 ETH rune bug.

I would definitely stick with the Tals Helm over the +2 skiller. All res, and the 10/10 leech is too good.

Get a couple of 5%+ LL rings, and you're set. 20% LL, 10% mana and you'll be gobbling back up your bulbs with every whirl.

Another strategy to boost you, is to socket that Hellslayer with a Shael rune. Doing so will take you from 12 frames WW attack to 8 frames (according to this: http://diablo3.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english). These are substantial gains.

Do player 8 Blood Runs to get your levelling done, and while you're doing those you can practice the WW strategy (as it should mow through the enemies there).

Still haven't found out what your mastery allocation is. Hopefully you don't hit AR problems with the Hellslayer. It's a shame you can't do two sockets and use the 1.09 ETH rune bug.

I had a go at the Ancients... and FAIL! I'm not good at using WW (keeps just doing a regular attack), and my merc gets toasted almost immediately. I got one back to the statue once or twice, but they are so FAST! I didn't don Tal's, but stuck to that skiller - maybe that's my downfall. I have 13 LL and 5 ML without Tal's.

Masteries Allocation (before skillers) is 17 swords, 6 axe, 10 mace. 10 Iron Skin, 5 Nat Res as well.

Well, back to the drawing board.

Two problems with your suggestion - I only have one Larzuk reward, and I want to use that on a Colossus Sword to rune for "Honor" (haven't found a white CS yet though) and, secondly, I have only had one Sheal drop this whole game (it resides in my merc's Hone Sundan) - plenty of Sol, Dol, and Hel though (even a Fal dropped from Pindle).

I think an "Honor" Colossus Sword might just qualify as a Big Stick of Hurt.

Thanks for helping me out with this - this is the hurdle I just could not get past back in the day.

How'd you die last time? Was it anyone of the particular melee attacks (i.e. the leap, the WW, or the throwing)?

I still reckon Tals + Hellslayer + WW should see you through.

Like I said in the previous post, go back to the Blood Foothills and run that a few times on as high a player level you can handle. That way, you'll be able to sort your WW'ing to the point where you are doing nice tight and fast whirls, and, you'll level up a bit and have some more skill points to allocate, which could be handy in Battle Orders, Shout, or Iron Skin.

Watch a few PVP Barb duels on youtube and the nice tight whirlwinding they do.

Try opening with a leap attack to close the distance and cause some smack, before you follow up with a triangular whirl of death. Doing that up front should kill Mawdac.

Don't give up. Your skill allocation is far from ideal, but you should still be able to get past them as is.

Alternatively, continue farming Meph for other gear that may be of benefit.

How'd you die last time? Was it anyone of the particular melee attacks (i.e. the leap, the WW, or the throwing)?

I still reckon Tals + Hellslayer + WW should see you through.

Like I said in the previous post, go back to the Blood Foothills and run that a few times on as high a player level you can handle. That way, you'll be able to sort your WW'ing to the point where you are doing nice tight and fast whirls, and, you'll level up a bit and have some more skill points to allocate, which could be handy in Battle Orders, Shout, or Iron Skin.

Watch a few PVP Barb duels on youtube and the nice tight whirlwinding they do.

Try opening with a leap attack to close the distance and cause some smack, before you follow up with a triangular whirl of death. Doing that up front should kill Mawdac.

Don't give up. Your skill allocation is far from ideal, but you should still be able to get past them as is.

Alternatively, continue farming Meph for other gear that may be of benefit.

It tends to be the leaper, but, seriously, oftentimes I can't even tell - my life bulb empties so fast. But, to be fair, I have not really gotten comfortable with WW and haven't really practiced it elsewhere. I've been running Meph, who dropped me a Buriza (wish I was a Bowazon with GA now) and another Hellslayer, and got my cash built back up. I have such a sweet map for running Meph (and I can run him comfortably with nearly 250% MF - looking for an Ali Baba drop to bump that) that I still want to mine him for a Dangoon's Teaching (already got 2 Cuirasses from that set) and/or a Baranar's Star (even if I get my the Ancients, I still have Baal's Minions to deal with). Heck, I might even get stupid lucky and have a Doombringer drop.

So now, I will take your advice and run the Blood Foothills (and other Act V area) to practice, level, and look for a white Colossus Sword. I will put away that +2 skiller and don Tal's mask for the battle when it is time. I will watch YouTube to see how it is done. I will farm and horde rejuv's (as I have burned through my stash).

I will not give up. I will not give up. This is what stopped me back in the day - this battle is why I started playing again, why I'm doing 1.09 with a barb.

Thanks again for your help.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High