IKSC: What to put in the empty socket?

o1d_dude

Jun 22, 2003
www.old-dude.com
IKSC: What to put in the empty socket?

My Immortal King WW Barb has finally reached clvl 76 and is now wearing the full glowing IK suit.

I popped a couple of PTs in his hat, a pair of Shael's in his ugly stick, and now I'm pondering what to poke into the hole in his Soul Cage.

A few of the IK WW mat threads I read went with an Um but I'm looking for something better.

Any suggestions?

Re: IKSC: What to put in the empty socket?

%ED jewel. With the mediocre damage of the hammer, you need all the extra damage you can get.

EDIT: Never mind. I agree on ED jewels. I'd suggest getting a second hat (They're extremely abundant) and stuffing something on that nature into it as well. I have an extra hat with PRubys myself.

IIRC I went with a Shael to help reach another FHR breakpoint - or a PTopaz for MF - but I think I like the ED% jewel suggestion the best.

1. 40% ED j00l
2. PTopaz <- Can be substituted with charms (ie x/luck charms)
3. Sol <- iDR is always nice ;)
4. Um/Scintillating j00l <- Can be substituted with charms (ie res/x charms)
5. Shael <- If you have additional FHR charms to reach 86% breakpoint (You've already reached 48% with your 50% on the set (I'd just stick to small charms imo))

I'd just go with a PTopaz until you pop in that forty jewel.
Your res as it stands now without additional gear(Anya included) would be 48/20/51/30
You can easily fill up fire and lite res with ruby and amber charms and you'll want a decent attack rating, which is where angelics come in.

*Sigh* I want a Soul Cage too~

I'm liking the Shael suggestion for the 20% FHR. I put a Shael in my BlizzWaller's Ormus Robes as well. I play Max Block because I take the occasional blow to the dome and the extra FHR helped get her out of some tight spots.

I've got the 40% ED jewel, plus a 40% ED/10% Gold, a 38% ED/7% FHR. Isn't it the case that ED jewels tend to work better when plugged directly into the weapon rather than the armor or other gear? Maybe that's just an old wives tale. I was thinking about putting one of those 40%'ers into my Schaeferdin's Stormlash on switch for extra goodness. He's already got a 36% ED/15% IAS on the Schaefer's so it would make a nice matched set.

Also have an Argent Jewel of Truth (+93 AR/+7% FHR), too. I've heard AR is some good for an IK WW.

Decisions, decisions.

AR is very necessary. At least mine needs lots of it(missing the armor as you may have understood). I definitely need to use the angelic ammy + angelic 1 ring. I usually go with a ravenfrost on the other, but i hear you can hit more often when frozen so i might try that out later. And i have a lot less resists too so i have my inventory filled with the necessary res charms. If you go with a shael, you'll need 16 more to 86%.
Those jewels look nice though, so my vote goes to one of them.

I put an %ED jewel in mine, as well. Put an AR/+Max damage jewel in the hat along with a +max damage jewel (was very low on %ED jewels back then). Shael's not a bad idea, but I don't think 5 frames is a bad hit recovery rate for the IK char. PTopaz would work, but the IK build isn't very good at MFing, anyway. I'd say leave the PTopazes in the hat and put an %ED jewel in the armor to speed things up slightly. On-weapon %ED is a little more helpful, I think, yes, but off-weapon is plenty useful. And, since there's not a ton of +%ED from WW it'll make a difference.

AR will be quite helpful, if you're not getting a good bit from other gear/charms. I used Demon Limb on switch, which seemed to shore up my needs nicely. As for your %38ED/FHR jewel, I'd consider it a waste to put it in the IKSC, but if you don't have a more pressing need for it, I suppose it'll work. I just think having to make up all that FHR ends up being counterproductive. I'd just use the plain 40%, personally, saving the 40%/10%GF for some other use. If you plan on doing a good amount of running with this guy, though, it'd probably be worth it.

As I said, I'm liking the Shael because with my current gear and charms in inventory, I'm at 80% FHR. (Yes, I know, add another [fill in the blank] Large Charm of Balance to make 88% FHR.)

I've currently got a Sounding Grand of Balance (12% FHR) in inventory without which I'd be at 68% FHR.

The Shael would put me over the FHR breakpoint in either case (Sounding of Balance or not) and allow me some flexibility in my charm selection.

That's a persuasive argument in favor of the 40%ED jewel, maareek. I'm going to have to consider these choices.

Isn't it the case that ED jewels tend to work better when plugged directly into the weapon rather than the armor or other gear? ...

Without remembering the precise details, yes on-weapon ED% is better than off-weapon ED%... by quite a bit. That's not to say off-weapon should be discounted, but...

... as an example, I was looking at socketing a 40% jewel or an Eld rune into an Azurewrath (for running Pindle). The +75% Damage to Undead counts as off-weapon damage (even when socketed into the sword), and in the end the Eld would've provided less damage than the 40% Jewel.

For precise details (if anyone's interested), use the forums search tool and search for threads I've started in the statistics forum. There's only 2-3 to choose from, I believe, so it should be pretty easy to find, and someone (borje?) did a nice breakdown of on-weapon vs. off-weapon damage.

Back on topic, the best thing about the Shael is it's not really expensive to remove at a later time. If you eventually decide you'd rather have extra AR or damage socketed, it's only a Hel rune to remedy the problem. I'd feel guilty if I socketed a nice jewel and then later decided to remove it.

Actually, if you're that close to the 86% FHR breakpoint already, I'd go with the Shael, as well. Dropping from 5 frames to 4 is probably going to be more useful than using the %ED jewel over time, especially if it frees up room in the stash for more sharp/steel/etc. charms. My beef lies in not really wanting to have to load up on of Balance charms to get from 50 to 86 (because not everybody has Steel/Fine SCs of Balance and/or Sharp/Steel GCs of Balance).

I wouldn't waste a 40% ED jewel.

You have 232 strength minumum, with the maul this is 232*1.1 = 255 off weapon %ED.
You have a level 28 WW minimum = 166% %ED
You have a level 26 mastery minumum = 153% ED

This makes a total of 574% ED. The effect of the ruby jewel would be 40/(100+574) = 6% damage increase, and that's not counting that a significant portion of your damage is not physical.

Keep your Ruby jewels for weapons unless you are not attached to them.

I wouldn't stress on FHR with a WW barb.

Just a thought but if you're currently at 80 FHR then you might as well go with the ED/FHR jewel since that will push you over the 86% breakpoint as well as give you some added ED.

I wouldn't waste a 40% ED jewel.

You have 232 strength minumum, with the maul this is 232*1.1 = 255 off weapon %ED.
You have a level 28 WW minimum = 166% %ED
You have a level 26 mastery minumum = 153% ED

This makes a total of 574% ED. The effect of the ruby jewel would be 40/(100+574) = 6% damage increase, and that's not counting that a significant portion of your damage is not physical.

Keep your Ruby jewels for weapons unless you are not attached to them.

I wouldn't stress on FHR with a WW barb.

And somewhere between 180% to 220% "skill" ED from a Might merc as well, which makes the 40% Jewel even worse. 4.5% gain is what I'm getting as the gain if you include Might. If it were me, I'd put in either a resist jewel/rune if you need it, and if not then just a PTopaz - build up what is "worse" on the character.

(And the Ruby Jewel is still worse against Undead or Demons (aka, the vast majority of stuff you hit) as the specific bonus on the Maul is "skill ED" for those...)

Something like Um is probably still the best choice because of what stephan said.
I wouldn`t stress on FHR with ANY barb unless its some titan (or PvP) build - there are very few situations when I can imagine going into hit recovery with a barb...

Yeah, Um is probably the best. With a PRuby, you save 1.5 slot or so. With Shael, you save maybe 2 slots. But an Um would save 4.5 slots and a lot of wealth.

Yeah, Um is probably the best. With a PRuby, you save 1.5 slot or so. With Shael, you save maybe 2 slots. But an Um would save 4.5 slots and a lot of wealth.

Aren't you already at max resists (except cold) with the full set and a few points in NR?

And a shael would give 20% FHR, which would require 4 small charms, but I can't imagine a barb being put into hit recovery much and the set already gives 50%. Next breakpoint is 86%.

Aren't you already at max resists (except cold) with the full set and a few points in NR?

And a shael would give 20% FHR, which would require 4 small charms, but I can't imagine a barb being put into hit recovery much.

He's already got 80%, so two spaces.

About the resist, yes, but counting in the Resist Scroll Bug and possible +max resist, an Um will be a nice insurance.

If I wanted to stack resists, I would use an Ort. It would be more useful than Um against a surprise attack by conviction Gloams, which is one of the few reasons to stack resists in my opinion. Conviction Wave 2 is also extremely dangerous (but rare) and a Thul would help there. I doubt he plans to do any heavy Baal running though.

As for the %ED jewel, you're right Stephan in that it doesn't add much damage, but that is true for most things you add to a character. A single Fine charm doesn't add much damage either, but when you add them up, they make a significant difference. You can have enough resists, enough life and so on, but you can never have enough damage. Plain %ED jewels are fairly common, and probably rather cheap to trade for since there aren't many top weapons to put them in anymore with all the Runewords.

Ah right, i forgot to take in account of the +5 to masteries which grants 44 all resists(Lvl 6 NR). 92/64/95/74
I'd say his resists are fine.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High