Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"? <

Re: Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"?

Also haven't found a single orb yet. Don't know if that's a Classic issue or just my bad luck.

As in the weapon type? Class specific items only spawn in expansion, so you should be finding any.

Since apparently orbs don't drop in Classic I've had Mirax running around with a staff. Previously she had shopped a +3 to Fire bolt one in the beginning. Now that Fire ball has taken over she was able to find a staff with a +3 mod to that skill.

This of course means she runs out of mana faster than ever before. She starts out each trip from town with an inventory basically full of mana pots, and rarely gets through an area before needed to restock. That's all right, since the monsters are just getting mowed down regardless.

Mirax didn't really run into any real problems. The merc does an adequate job of tanking for her. Holds the monsters in place for a few fire balls to level the mob. Granted if he gets poisoned then it's a quick TP back to town to heal since I can't actually feed him an antidote potion. A raging, egotistical, testosterone amped pointy stick wielder who doesn't drink? And here I thought that was a myth.

The summoner was a bit of a different type of battle. He was placing enough firewalls on the walkway and there were enough monster packs between Mirax and him that walking was going to be tough. Teleporting over blindly was out of the question, this is hardcore mind you. So Mirax cheated, she just cast her level one Blizzard on the summoner's platform and waited for him to freeze to death. I know, cheap, but very effective and Mirax just neglects to mention that tactic to her bar buddies.

Code:
Version 1.12
Forum name      Character Name    Class         Level     Location
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     25      Canyon of the Magi
newco           Louie             Hammerdin       22      Far Oasis
nubikoen        Death             Poisonmancer    18      Dry Hills
SiTro           of_Spades         Amazon          11      Outer Cloister
Nagisa          Riinfosu          Orb/TS          11      Stony Field
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb       9      Stony Field
Thyiad          SickTrout         Fishy            7      Cold Plains
EmperorMoo      GudrunII          Amazon           1      Rogue Encampment

Mirax decided to brave the far desert in search of Duriel. Oddly enough finding her wasn't too hard as she was in the first tomb located. She ended up putting up quite a fight, which was purely due to my own incompetance. For some reason my brain reversed which mouse button was for fire ball and which was for normal attack. Mind you these haven't changed since I started playing the character.

The mercenary lasted a few seconds initially, just enough for Mirax to get close and static field Duriel quite a bit. Then she TPed out, resurrected the merc and went back in. That's when things go hairy. She kept trying to melee Duriel to death, not the best of ideas when she is only sporting 20% cold resistance. As a result she found herself merc-less and trying to stay away from Duriel long enough to cast a TP to escape. We repeated this process at least three times before I smartened up and used the right skill to fire ball Duriel to oblivion.

Which of course lead to Act III and the fun swarms of Flayers. Actually, they worry me quite a bit considering I can't bring a tank with me and have to use one of the Iron Wolves instead. This means Mirax was leading and the first target for any Flayer packs. As a result her progress was very slow and she made sure to have at least a half mana bulb full at all times, so that she doesn't run out in a critical moment. Thankfully the Flayers did fall quickly due to low base health.

Still their evil cousins, the undead flayers, gave Mirax a few dangerous moments in the Flayer dungeon. To have them suddenly come sprinting around a corner is unnerving, expecially since my first reaction is to throw a fire ball their way, which could potentially one-hit kill them. As such I was straining my ears for that distinctive pitter-patter of their boney little feet.

Mirax survived the little time bombs and was able to get to the Kurast Baazar without encountering another stressful situation.

Code:
Version 1.12
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     28      Kurast Baazar
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb       9      Stony Field

Ceto is plugging along and rescued Cain and ran Tristram a few times to improve gear.

Code:
Version 1.12
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     28      Kurast Baazar
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      15      Dark Wood

Oh good, for a second I feared this would turn into a personal update thread. :wink:

I've found that the cold Iron Wolves are extremely good tanks after all, at least in Normal as there aren't any cold immunes. He's doing a better job of keeping monsters off of Mirax than the desert mercenary did. Imagine that.

Mirax went off in search of the council. They of course cast out the obligatory mass of hydras that almost killed the merc. Not being able to equip him makes him quite fragile indeed. Thankfully Mirax was feeling kind and teleported away to allow him to heal rather than suicide him, since that's my plan for Mephisto and I need extras for that.

Mirax drew the council members out of their tower one by one. She'd cast Blizzard on top of them to keep them chilled then Fire ball them to death. With them chilled Mirax could stay out of melee range, she has no desire to stand toe-to-toe with any of them. This became key when she got cursed partway through the fight. But she prevailed, and kept the merc alive to boot.

Onward to the Durance. As expected the first boss pack encountered on both level 1 and 2 was a doll pack, one stone skin and the other cursed. However Mirax was creeping slowly through the Durance and heard them coming with plenty of time jump behind the merc, who froze the pack, before dealing with them.

Dropped the player settings down to 3 for Mephisto, which ended up being a good idea. Normally I'd get close and static field Mephisto down to a sliver while the merc tanks, but Iron Wolves don't tank and there is no way I'm standing next to Mephisto naked.

So instead the merc was quickly dispatched by Mephisto and then he and Mirax danced around the columns fire spells at each other. Mirax with her single point Blizzard and nearly maxed Fireball against Mephisto and his Charged Bolt and Ice Ball of Death. It was actually quite the entertaining fight, and a bit scary at one point when Mephisto hit Mirax with a string of three straight IBoDs. Thankfully she had drank 10 thawing potions before engaging so survived the ordeal. Mephisto did not though, as he eventually fell to a hail of Fire balls.

Apparently I'm going to have to sink a few more points into Static Field. Tried to SF Mephisto but apparently couldn't get close enough without getting in serious harm's way. Even tried to SF him from the opposite side of a wall, to no avail.

Code:
Version 1.12
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     29      Pandemonium Fort
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      15      Dark Wood

Nicely done Mursilis! Mercs are very fragile in Classic, between not being able to feed them potions and them not having gear, it's a rough life being a Classic merc. Popping back to a healer is the only option (or perhaps building a Cleric.) Since you can't resurrect mercs, you get new ones each time and they can almost run out them. It's happened to me in longer play sessions. When it gets down to zero available, though, they call in a new round of recruits and you get a good choice again... (That's I believe one of the improvements from Classic 1.10 to Classic 1.11.)

A large radius Static is the core of my build (since it works at full strength in NM and Hell, assuming I get there!) and it's been great so far.

Ceto is doing well and has been running many times Andy for solid gear. Thankfully, the Andarial quest bug is alive and well in Classic, and though I've yet to get the one item I really want from her (Bloodfist) I've completed the full Hsarus' set, nice jewelry, and more Crushflanges than anyone could use. Charsi may be getting sick of buying Cleglaw's shield and other repeats from Ceto.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      20      Lut Golein

Ceto is doing well. I'm planning to run Trav for quite a while in hopes of getting Angelic jewelry for better MF, and hopefully to get to level 30 for Frozen Orb before Meph. It would be great to get Sigon's Shield- it's probably end-game gear and I'll try running Meph to get it. Current gear is about the same as from Andarial's Closeout Set, Unique and Rare Market with a few little upgrades: Hsarus' set, weak rare hat, Crushflange, rare FCR rings, Bloodfist. The blocking on Hsarus shield is terrible (20%) so it would be good to improve on that with either Sigon's or a 3PD Tower, but of course there isn't much stash space for accumulating things.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      28      Durrance 2

I had no idea Static Field was full effect in NM/Hell. That will help tremendously. :thumbup:

Mirax ventured forth to duel Diablo. Wandering through the River of Flame to get there wasn't too much of a hassle as there weren't any ranged characters to threaten Mirax as she froze the melee ones with Glacial Spike/Blizzard. Not so for the Chaos Sanctuary. Those Oblivion Knights pack enough of a punch that a pack of them is very dangerous. Mirax found herself using Glacial Spike liberally to keep the pesky Doom Knights and Venom Lords stationary while Blizzard inflicted damage. Slowly but surely she cleared out the entire Cs.

She did however run into some issues against the Venom Lorder seal pack. Mirax was lucky that the map spawned with the U-shaped corner there. She planned on standing on one side and simply Blizzarding the pack to death. Unfortunately they didn't spawn where I expected, by the other seal, but instead in the upper corner out of reach from my hiding spot. Drat. This required Mirax to move out of cover step by step casting Blizzards as she went. One by one she lured the minions towards her, froze them with Glacial Spike and defeated them with constant Blizzard casts. Each minion required 3-4 mana potions, expensive. Thankfully Mirax was able to trap the boss in a favorable position and simply Blizzard him to death.

This left only Diablo to contend with. Started off simply keeping a constant Blizzard cast over Diablo's head and running around him in circles avoiding the lightning hose. This was fairly slow so Mirax attempted a different tactic. The next time Diablo ran towards her she chilled him with a Glacial Spike then got very close to Static Field him. Unfortunately she mistimed Diablo's running animation and caught a Lightning Hose in the face for her trouble. Mirax was able to scamper away with a few quick potion gulps, but didn't intend to try that tactic a second time. Instead she went back to keeping Diablo surrounded by a Blizzard with the occasional Fire ball thrown in. Slow, but steadily dealt big D damage. Eventually he fell, and while his loot was decent it was useless to Mirax.

Oddly enough Big D threw a couple of Sorceress firewalls my way. Must be a purely Classic thing as that never happens in LoD.

Haven't rerun any areas yet. Going to see how tough Act I in Nightmare is first before I decide if I want to do that, or just keep questing.

Code:
Version 1.12
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     33      NM Rogue Camp
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      28      Durrance 2

Ceto is doing fine and is now in A4 normal. She ran Travicanal so much the council had to run a DNA class check to make sure she wasn't in fact an MF barb. As usual, what I was hoping for (Angelic Amulet) did not drop- but Tancred's amulet, Irathra's amulet and the Eye of Elitch did! And there were long stretches with few amulets/rings and those were mostly blue, of course. The council just plain was dropping lots of blues- getting some real MF would be great. I did get a great rare wand that will probably be useful for quite a while, a good rare shield, and I finally got enough good gear to sell off the completed Hsarus' set with a rare bone shield, rare boots and a (2-row) rare belt. About 5 runs after selling of Hsarus' full set, the belt dropped again, of course! One other nice council drop was Wall of the Eyeless, which I haven't used but it's worth using up stash space as at some point it may be good to get to another FCR breakpoint. Right now I'm at 20 (wand) + 20 (rings) =40 > 37 for the 10-frame static. The next FCR breakpoint is 63 and I'll need FCR from an amulet for WoE to make sense, and I don't have any good amulets yet. I foresee gambling for boots and amulets if income continues to outstrip expenses.

What I would like is a compact set of MF gear to switch to for rerunning earlier areas, and I had in mind the Angelic rings + amulet + sword (only of which the sword and one ring has dropped.) Stash space is limited. Now that I've got Tancred's amulet, I considered going for the boots for decent MF relatively compactly, and my best route for the boots is gambling. I did overflow the bank and gamble boots but I found OK rare boots, not Tancred's boots yet.

Code:
Ghoul Song
Bone Wand
One Hand Damage: 3 - 7
Durability: 15 of 15
Required Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0xa74a1c3d
Item Level: 28
Version: UNKNOWN
Properties: 
+15 to Attack Rating
Fire Resist +36%
Lightning Resist +35%
4% Mana stolen per hit
+1 to Light Radius
20% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to Blood Golem (Necromancer Only)
Hit Causes Monster to Flee

Ghoul Tower
Bone Shield
Defense: 20
Chance to Block: 40
Durability: 40 of 40
Required Level: 13
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0x77916655
Item Level: 28
Version: UNKNOWN
Properties: 
+1 to Strength
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
Damage Reduced by 1
Fire Resist +28%
Cold Resist +11%
30% Faster Block Rate

I haven't run Meph yet and I'm torn between running him seriously and waiting for NM Andarial to run, as the quest drop bug will be much better than looking at more long sequences of blues.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      33      City of the Damned

Apologies for the lack of updates.

Death had been left halfway through act 2. Time to get going.

Poison Dagger and Poison Explosion, when used properly, are some very potent skills.
Basic strategy is to throw gumby near a group of monsters (placing him between myself and the monsters), wait till he gets mobbed, run up close and stab a monster, wait till it drops dead then use poison explosion which kills of the rest of the group.

When feeling frisky I'd just run around and stab left and right, and when enough monsters're on my tail, I'd stop and throw a gumby nearby to take the heat off me. Poison explosion. Rinse, repeat.

This was a piece of cake in acts 1 and 2 since their monsters tend to meele. Act 3 jungles were hell though.
Flayers and their little blowdarts had me pulling my hair on more than one occasion. It meant a good deal of cursing - Dim Vision made them harmless, still it was a LOT of stabbing and running. One monster at a time.

Also, without any FHR I was very carefull to not get hit since getting hit meant I had time for a small nap before the hit recovery animation was over. Still, I played without much trouble - no NDEs at all.

Moving through the spider cavern to get Khalim's eye I got ambushed.
I was carefully clearing out spiders and maggots when I spotted Szzark and friends. I retreated a little to make sure I didn't have any stragglers left behind. I took them on and got Szzark killed real fast, unfortunately... a mob of spiders came rushing out of a sidecorridor I had missed, and squeezed me flat.
I took a lot of hits, good thing I had 8 rejuvs and 4 healthpots. I used all the juvies and still, before I could get away I took 3 or 4 hits, emptying my red bubble.

Deeds sucks! I didn't even get to play with Poison Nova :(

Death died at 22, he was wearing his best finds too, 2 nagelrings - a 29% and a 27%.

Good luck Mursilis and purplelocust, you seem to be the only ones left.

Sorry to hear about your loss, nubikoen! Not much FHR means you can go from cruising to dead quite quickly, ouch. What players setting were you on?

Update: Ceto managed A4 normal and is working through A1 NM at /players 8. Things are going well as her orb kills well, particularly after static bursts. Still the only source of +skills I've seen is the Eye of Elitch, which I'm forgoing for a rare resists amulet.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      38      NM Dark Wood

Last edited:

Sorry to hear about your loss, nubikoen! Not much FHR means you can go from cruising to dead quite quickly, ouch. What players setting were you on?
I was on /p3 at the time. I had alternated between /p1, /p3 and /p5.
Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      38      NM Dark Wood
Code:
Their deeds remembered
nubikoen        Death             Poisonmancer    22      Spider Cavern (RIP)
EmperorMoo      Bors              Concbarb        21      Lost City (RIP)
JayeM           Celia             Bowazon         15      The Tower (RIP)
EmperorMoo      Gudrun            Amazon           7      Dark Wood (RIP)
TLOD            Breadfan          CLSorc           6      The Cave (RIP)
Here are the updated tables.

Lots and lots of NM Andarial runs meant a steady upgrade of equipment and a decent level boost. I was planning to run her for lots of likely items like Sigon's shield, the Angelic amulet for MF, etc. Sigon's shield dropped in Jail 1 and Andy never dropped any set amulets. But she did drop a lot of useful gear, now crammed into the tiny stash. The best was Tarnhelm, which is a rare source of +skill and also my best source of MF. I haven't invested the strength for the Sigon shield and now I'm wondering what route to take there. Multiple Venom Wards dropped, which Ceto wore whilst running Andy, and some good rare boots and belt and a decent rare breast plate. Ceto is about to sell off her Venom Ward and say goodbye to Andarial...

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      48      NM Lut Golein
Code:
Their deeds remembered

been a while since my last update (shame on me). All I can say is ... sometimes it is fun to play a cookie-cutter :smug:. Even if a clasic hammerdin is not as powerful as his LoD cousin (no insught, spirit, holy freeze merc) he is still a cookie-cutter. After level 30 and redemption things improved even more.

notable finds I kept and use:
- rusthandle (found 2 of those)
- duskkeep
- venom ward (quite nice when dealing with mummies and spiders)

Code:
Version 1.12
newco           Louie             Hammerdin       56      NM Kurast Bazar 
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      48      NM Lut Golein
Code:
Their deeds remembered

Act 2 NM went well, although there were some warning signs when I ran into a few cold immune/lightning immune bosses. There will be more of them in the future and pretty much I'll just teleport by them. I'm switching between /players 8 and /players 3 depending upon whether I'm wanting to race through or level some. I did find Magefist and though I don't have the strength for it, I'm hanging on to them as a possible FCR boost. I'll probably end up selling them off though as space is tight and if I get a decent amulet, WoE will be a better FCR solution. Static benefits from FCR but not Orb, of course. I also found Goblin Toe- boots that I longed after for many of my earlier Classic zealots! Those, along with several Goldwraps, were sold off.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      50      NM Kurast Docks
Code:
Their deeds remembered

Ceto is doing fine, but cold immunes are an obvious looming issue. The council went smoothly at /players 8 so I anticipate running the council for a while in hopes of some gear upgrades or at least money and saleables for some potential gambling. I'm wondering if the next skill investment should be fire wall as I'll be mercless in A4 and have no means of harming CI/LI and no way of finishing off CI monsters.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      54      NM Durrance 2
Code:
Their deeds remembered

Signing up!

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      54      NM Durrance 2
asdfgah	         eggiWEEG          Hammerdin       20      Rocky Waste
Code:
Their deeds remembered

Ceto did fine at /players 8 with many council runs (not much useful dropping) and Mephisto. I did invest in a one-point Fire Wall and one in Fire Mastery, and that works well with CI monsters. In A4, I went down to players 3 for most of the act but did the Chaos Santuary at /players 8. One problem is finishing off Cold/Fire immunes, as the only lightning damage is static and Telekinesis. I couldn't kill off an FI/CI OK boss with TK (I think since he was mana burn, he actually regnerated somewhat from his attacks), so I was worried when DeSeis was CI/FI but I was able to finish him off via many many TKs after slivering him. Diablo was no problem and now I'll tread carefully, starting Hell. Hopefully Hell Andarial is safe enough to rerun for items, as much of my gear has come from running her in NM and normal.
Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      60      Hell Rogue Camp
asdfgah	        eggiWEEG          Hammerdin       20      Rocky Waste
Code:
Their deeds remembered

Ceto is doing OK and has made it to Lut Golein.

Act 1 went pretty well although she teleported through a lot of it. It's all been at /players 1 and the problems are
1) immunes require care
2) the mercs die regularly, making it hard to not get swarmed and making it hard to be at the "sweet spot" range for orb
3) monsters hit hard

Resists aren't quite maxed, even with thawing and antidote potions active, but I am hoping for some more gear improvements by running Andarial.

She's already been running Andarial some, but quite gingerly at this point. Andy was nice enough to drop a Venom Ward after a few dozen runs, which was a help as the other Venom Wards from NM Andy's Ye Old Equipment Shoppe were sold long ago for stash space. I've been running Andy on /players 1, as it's just a little too dangerous still for running her at higher player counts when there are bosspacks in her room. If I don't rehire mercs on those runs, she gets a decent income stream for gambling and is working on getting better gear that way.

I'm still at basically base strength and I've been agonizing over whether or not to invest in enough to use Sigon's Shield. The +1 skill and great blocking would be instead of good resists and OK blocking. She's got a good bone shield at 60% blocking and that's pretty much the only shield type that she has the strength for currently that can have decent blocking. I gambled a bunch of bone shields (which takes forever, since they aren't often listed) and got only a couple of rares, both of which are inferior to what I have (didn't have "of deflection".) Realistically, the only opportunities for +skills are:

head: +1 Tarnhelm, got that
amulet: +1, got that in a very nice amulet from Hell Andy with 19 prismatic resists (a +2 amulet would require a 90+ level gamble or a great drop from Hell Diablo, so cross those off as possibilities!)
body: +1 Silks of the Victor, very unlikely to find and no resists and requires 100 str
shield: +1 Sigon's Shield, good blocking but no resists and requires 75 strength
weapon: +1 Culwen's point, not easy to find and won't come close to the usefullness of my current wands' FCR and resists (it does have some FHR)
rings: SoJ, not likely to find although Hell Andarial is the best source, she's stingy with those. I've had 4 unique rings from Hell Andy so far, 3 Nagels and a Manald.

So I'm currently at +2 skills (Tarn + amulet) and switching to Sigon's shield would give +3 and better blocking at the cost of some resists, and indirectly life from putting points strength not in vitality. Having the strength for a tower shield also opens up the 3 PDiamond tower option. So I'm waffling on what route to take. Sigon's would give 64% blocking, versus the 60% blocking on a bone shield with "deflecting" and I'm not likely to switch to Twitchthroe, which hasn't dropped anyway, as I need the resists from the body armor slot.

Staves are a good source of +2 sorc skills as well as individual skills, with possibly resists and FCR on a rare, but I can't imagine giving up shield for that.

So I plan to run Andy for a while, gamble boots and belts and rings and see if that gear points to Sigon's shield or keeping with the current bone shield strategy.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      63      Hell Lut Golein
asdfgah	        eggiWEEG          Hammerdin       20      Rocky Waste
Code:
Their deeds remembered

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High