Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Re: Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Meet the One chosen to wield the Sword of Destiny. I'll try going with whirlwind, never had one of those barbs before.

Code:
Name         Character       Class      Area         Level  Current Sword
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     Claymore/2 ch skull
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     Lut Gholein  19     2-H/ch skull/topaz/emrld
sveinbjorn   Fafhrd (RIP)    Barbarian  Cathedral    19     2-Hand/2 ch emrld
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Catacombs 2  18     2-hand/Beryl Jewel of Envy
bcoe         Walter (RIP)    Paladin    Catacombs 3  17     2-H/JofEnvy
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  Black Marsh  14     2-H/ch emrld/topaz
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Dark Woods   14     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph
DemonOfWrath Sardinath       Barbarian  Stony Field  12     2-H/ch saph/skull
FurobinS     TheBlackKnight  Paladin    Rogue Camp   1      Short Sword
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Rogue Camp   1      Start wand
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Rogue Camp   1      N/A

Out of curiosity, why no one handed swords? No shield would be allowed, but limiting us to two handers doesn't make sense to me. Of course it's your tournament, but I like seeing justifications for tournament rules. :D

Well, you're right in that I wanted to limit the shields. But honestly, the inspiration for this tournament stems mostly from the fact that I seem to find big rare or unique two-hand swords often, both on bnet and single player, and never, ever use them. So I thought I'd try it out tournament style.

Got through act 2 and part of act 3 now. Much easier then act 1 where i had several NDE's. It helps to have a merc that tanks and thus takes some of the heat off your own toon.
Only one to give me some trouble was Duriel. Several trips back to town and killed my merc once. Decoy proved it's value there.
Still no jewelry whatsoever. I'm just hoping something will drop. Anything is better then the empty slots i have now. Also found the dragon chang. Very glad that isn't a 2-handed sword or i would be in big trouble for the rest of the game.
And as you can see i'm still wielding my very first 2-hander. Tried a claymore, but it was to slow for my taste. In act 3 there's some other nice swords that can drop, but none has so far. So as you can imagine the merc is taking credit for most kills atm.

And i hope you guys don't mind, but i've divided the table in two parts. The ones still running and the fallen heros.

[highlight]Running[/highlight]
Code:
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     FlayerJungle 27     2-H/ch skull/topaz/emrld
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Catacombs 2  18     2-hand/Beryl Jewel of Envy
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Dark Woods   14     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

[highlight]Fallen heros[/highlight]
Code:
sveinbjorn   Fafhrd          Barbarian  Cathedral    19     2-Hand/2 ch emrld
bcoe         Walter          Paladin    Catacombs 3  17     2-H/JofEnvy

Leona passed away, having lived longer than I expected. She was done in by Blight Fester the Unholy and his band of bony archers as she stepped into the Monastery. I see no one has tried an assassin or a druid yet...my next attempt will be a druid.

Code:
[b]Running[/b]

Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     FlayerJungle 27     2-H/ch skull/topaz/emrld
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Rogue Camp   1      Starter Club

[b]Fallen heros[/b]

JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Monastery    16     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

Having fun so far, still swing my first 2 hander but added another emerald to it. Had some close calls and was gaining way to much exp to fast so I dropped from players 8 to 3. Just dropped Andy, but alas nothing of use even armor wise :(

Code:
[b]Running[/b]

Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  Lut Gholein  18     2-H/2 ch emrld/topaz

[b]Fallen heros[/b]

JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Monastery    16     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

Well, so far, so good with my melee necro. One NDE so far with Pitspawn Fouldog and his merry little band. I'm using mostly Amp right now, with DV for ranged attackers. Works like a champ! (so far) Found a nice rare bow with +15 poison damage for my assistant, so she is dealing out some decent damage. I'm ready to head down into the Catacombs.

Svein

Code:
[b]Running[/b]

Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  Lut Gholein  18     2-H/2 ch emrld/topaz
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Rogue Camp   18     2-H/2ch emrld/skull

[b]Fallen heros[/b]

Hinamori (Phoenix Striker) made her way through Act 1 encountering a good deal of danger (considering it was only Act 1). Upon reaching the Rogue Encampment Hinamori disposed of her starting weapons (she seeks only the sword of destiny) and ventured out into the Blood Moor with nothing but her fists. At players 7 the zombies were pretty tough so she ended up settling for the players 5 setting. Hinamori quickly learned a great deal about Martial Arts including the deadly Tiger Strike (unfortunately 300% of 1-2 damage still really isn’t good for anything except style points)! Heading into the Cold Plains it was becoming clear that she would need something more than her fists . . . so she enlisted the help of Flavie . . . who seemed less than enthusiastic about being forced to help but really didn’t have much of a choice. Hinamori hit level six next to Flavie and put a skill point in Fists of Fire (as a prerequisite to Phoenix Strike) and discovered that despite the skills description, she could use Fists of Fire with her fists! . . and so she did. Before the battle with Blood Raven, Hinamori was able to scrounge up enough strength and dexterity to equip a two handed sword and the battle plan for the rest of Act 1 became clear. Punch, punch, punch, with fists (of fire . . . for the charge up) and then switch to the sword and unleash destruction through the swords normal attack! . . ah the things you learn in tournaments.

So that was general battle plan for the rest of Act 1 . . . but that doesn’t mean it was easy. Punching groups on monsters (at least three times) certainly seemed a bit dangerous for a character that really had no equipment except for some none too special rare gloves and armor. The biggest problem though was probably that the charge up from Fists of Fire would disappear after a short time so Hinamori was always feeling the pressure to charge forward and attack! attack! attack! . . which sometimes got Hinamori into more trouble than she had bargained for . . .

There were no good drops in Act 1 including at Andariel . . . and the Sword Destiny is yet to reveal itself (which I’m thinking is a really good thing).

Here were Hinamori’s stats at the end of Act 1.

Code:
[b]Running[/b]

Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin   Lut Gholein  18     2-H/ch ruby
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Catacombs    18     2-H/2ch emrld/skull

[b]Fallen heros[/b]

Last edited:

Chosen One made it to Lut Gholein. He had one NDE fighting Fouldog because I was accidentally spamming shout instead of howl while being grouped by his gang. No jewelry so far and armor is a white ring mail, all other spots are taken by rares. The nice but useless drops so far are Arctic Furs, Biggin's Bonnet and Hsarus' Buckler.

Code:
[b]Running[/b]

Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2xch skull,1xch ruby

[b]Fallen heros[/b]

Howell is doing much better than Leona did at this point. Blood Raven was a cinch, and now he's running with the rogue Amplisa, his pet Wolf, and Oak Sage. At 8th level his stats were high enough for a 2-H sword, which (like Leona) he loaded with topaz, skull, and sapphire chips. The topaz went in first, so the sword glows yellow even through all the blood. Also he can swing it faster than Leona, probably because it isn't bigger than he is. Currently searching the Cave for Coldcrow. No NDEs yet, and the only rares are some unamazing boots and sash.

Code:
Running

Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2xch skull,1xch ruby
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Cold Plains  10     2-H/ch topaz/skull/sapph

Fallen heros

Ok. I'm in.

Enter Judith the not-a-FishySin currently standing around the Rogue Encampment waiting to have her turn (I'm also currently in the GwE tourney).

Edit: Jeez: I should read rules more carefully. I'll have a skill plan for Judith ready soonish.

Code:
[B][I]Running[/I][/B]

JayeM        Howell          Druid      Cold Plains  10     2-H/ch topaz/skull/sapph
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin   Rogue Camp   1      Start Katar

[B][I]Fallen heros[/I][/B]

Good Luck Everyone!

Jaye: Sorry to hear about Leona. Actually, though, I think you've chosen the hardest character of all to hit guardian with. I just can't see a druid dealing enough damage swinging a sword to make it all the way, but I hope you do!

Han: I love the description--"she seeks only the sword of destiny"--and wow, literally fists of Fire! That's one character I've never played, so I look forward to your progress.

Stormblade is beginning to come into his own a little and has slain Andy--who dropped a pretty useless rare light belt as well as the even more useless (for this tourney anyway) Gorefoots. One of radament's goons left a rare ring mail which was a major upgrade to my armor, and I nabbed some rare gloves with fire resist in the Rocky Waste. I shopped a Claymore and stuck the Ral the countess dropped in it.

Vengeance is still eating mana like crazy, but I was extremely pleased to swap my Holy Freeze (a holdover aura until Conviction) with Resist Lightning when facing lightning-spitting beetles. My merc and I just waded in with that aura humming and made short work of them with charged bolts flying everywhere. I'd never thought about actually using those auras, but wow is it nice to have 79% resist to any of the three elements with a single hotkey punch.

I have a boatload of gems to cube. On my way to the halls of the dead!

Code:
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Dry Hills    21     Claymore/Ral rune

[B][I]Fallen heros[/I][/B]

Last edited:

@Sixstringer:
Actually, though, I think you've chosen the hardest character of all to hit guardian with. I just can't see a druid dealing enough damage swinging a sword to make it all the way, but I hope you do!

Not to worry, I thought I'd try the 2 classes that no one else had first. I already have my 3rd character in mind, a barbarian named Groo. :)

I thought about personalizing as a way to make your Sword of Destiny, just in case a 400%ED rare drops before you get a S/U.

Howell is still having few problems on /p5, though he plans to drop to /p3 for the Monastery. He just finished the Tower, so that's up next. Rares are now skull cap, gloves, boots, and 2 rings. He's saved a couple of things for his next sword: a full-fledged skull (courtesy of 2 gem shrines) and Jewel of Envy...waiting to see what Andariel drops, assuming he lives that long.

Code:
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Black Marsh  16     2-H/ch topaz/skull/sapph

Fallen heros

Well, I had a bit of time to play this morning, so Judith cleared out the Blood Moor and Den of Evil. She had some pretty nice finds (2x chipped sapphire; chipped skull/ruby/emerald; and rare quilted armor (+2 Life, ED, 5% Poison/Lightning Resist, ATD, self repair), shopped a 3os two-handed sword (though it remains empty at the present), and had no NDEs whatsoever. Good times.

Code:
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Black Marsh  16     2-H/ch topaz/skull/sapph
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin   Cold Plains  6      2-H/3os

Fallen heros

Good Luck Everyone!

[highlight]Judith, A1N Cold Plains. Up next: Blood Raven and the Cain rescue.[/highlight]

I thought about personalizing as a way to make your Sword of Destiny, just in case a 400%ED rare drops before you get a S/U.

This idea gave me an idea :crazyeyes:
how about that after finding sword of destiny, one could use personalizing quest on any other 2H sword and can use it on switch? I think that way we'll have better chances of killing PI's in hell (or whoever).

This idea gave me an idea :crazyeyes:
how about that after finding sword of destiny, one could use personalizing quest on any other 2H sword and can use it on switch? I think that way we'll have better chances of killing PI's in hell (or whoever).

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about personalization, but the spirit of the tournament is one sword at a time. You'll have to work around/compensate for the weaknesses of whatever sword drops. My problem as an avenger won't be PIs, it'll be EVERYTHING if a low damage sword drops as Vengeance is dependent on the physical damage of the item.

Save your runes, too, as creating a runeword sword might be your way around a sword that doesn't fit your build.

EDIT: Rule clarification.

If your Sword of Destiny has charges or +skills of a non-melee skill, you CAN use it. For instance, Todesfaelle Flamme has charges of Firewall and Enchant, and Flambellow gives you +to Inferno. It's your Sword of Destiny; use the powers the gods have given you. Good luck finding one!

On a related note, do synergies work with items that have charges? I mean, does a sorc's fire mastery work to improve the lvl 10 firewall on Todesfaelle Flamme?

Or maybe personalizing something will be a reward to use a piece of equipment you wouldn't otherwise be able to wear. For example on a set, magical, or unique armor.

I for one like the rules pretty much as they are. While it would be nice to personalize some badazz green/gold or something, I like the idea of keeping fingers crossed for nice rares: so many pop up, but in my other play I tend to focus on greens/golds.

If the rules are changed, I'll happily go along, but it might also be helpful (if rules are changed) to require personalization quests to be used before taking on the Ancients in every Act (or something like that).

Just my 2cents

And Judith took out Blood Raven and cleared the Cold Plains. She intended to move on and rescue Cain, but 1) the Stony Field waypoint was mere steps from the entrance; and 2) tonight is $2.75/pint night at the pub-of-1000-beers, so she took a pause.

I've never used TS with a two hander before, and it ROX, even without anything in the sockets. . . Also, Liene the Cold Rogue has a nice Rare Hunter's Bow with IAS/ED/LR and some poison damage, so she's dispatching baddies at quite a clip as well. Good times.

Not really worth a table update yet, though.

[Highlight]Judith the TSer and Liene the Cold Rogue, Stony Field A1N. Up next: the Cain Rescue.[/highlight]

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High