Trying to start anew

Deryn

Jul 9, 2009
Trying to start anew

Right, i managed to get a lvl 80 sorc and 50 werewolf druid a few months back. But i quit and returned last week, but i deleted the characters as they were expired.

since i returned i have tried numerous classes but cannot seem to level them. I got a Holy shock/zeal paladin to Level 40 but gave that up and deleted it ( Always delete a character i dont use :S ) and a Ranger paladin that uses Holyshock.

I just dont know what class to use, bear in mind i have no other classes so i cannot use fancy gear and rune words.

Also leveling seems to annoy me, i try Trist runs and tomb runs but fail miserably. They bore me to hell.

What classes do you guys recommend that works with only starting gear and gear i get from mobs. And should i level by myself instead of trying and failing with others?

Re: Trying to start anew

well i would say a barbarian..but they get boring to build too... pretty easy... maybe a necro would be more fun??

As for the lvling part i would say.. you could lvl by urself but once u hit that lvl 25 its alot easier to do norm baal runs and lvl up to 40..then get rushed and to hell chaos after.. best way to lvl i would say.. you will find ur own stuf along the way

Necros aint for me. Unless its bone/poison but i only played them with a friend but he has since quit.

I may try out paladin again and see how that works out for me.

Sorc's can solo hell almost as well as necromancers can in no gear, and with some decent gear found in runs they can blaze through it pretty fast. I use a metorb sorc for mfing, and you can pick up a tal's set for an HR or two when you get some wealth.

Yeye boy, that hot bitty with dem spells be off da chain for the gamin'. Blue sphere liquid troubles be hurtin' for da homescrew, but can be fillin' dat noise up right true easy what? Be pickin' up dem pots, nahm sayn?
Levelin' be true when you pick up a brusef to be shootin' da noise with, yah? I be chillin' wit my homeskillet, I be sportin' dem spells, he be shootin' dem arrows, whassup. Be tots chill, we rollin', we bankin'. G-slam it whassup, don't need to be lazin', nahm meen?

You don't need to level, instead just quest normally with a group and you'll be fine levelwise. If you can't quest with a group (using Player Matchup forum) then yes you might need to do a tad of leveling, but a few Baal runs is all you'll need.

For a character item independent characters sound like what you are looking for. To that end I'd suggest a few Amazon builds.

Frost Maiden: Used Cold enhanced arrows as main weapon. Just get the fastest bow you can as the damage of the bow means nothing. As a backup you can have either Lightning Fury or Charged Strike. CS is a better boss killer and that's what I'd actually suggest.

Plague Javelin / Lightning Fury Javazon: Again here javelin damage means nothing, all of the damage is from elemental enhancements.

Magezon: Uses Immolation arrow and Freezing Arrow to damage enemies, again bow damage itself is meaningless.

All these builds have two different elemental sources of damage. Couple that with the damage done by your mercenary and maybe Valkyrie if you get one and you should be able to deal with any monster you encounter. All can be played untwinkled and solo through the end of Hell if desired.

I hate to tell you this, but if the characters are still visible, joining a game with them will un-expire them. They don't actually get deleted when they expire, it just makes them a candidate for deletion. I had four characters that I hadn't used for about a year, but when I logged in next, there they sat, all with an expired label. A minute later they were all unexpired and good to go.

To answer your question, most caster builds work fine with found gear. All manner of Sorceresses, summon Necromancers, and windy Druids can play through Hell. Good gear makes it easier and faster, but is not required.

I'd try to move away from Paladin if you're planning to go untwinked (self-found gear only). Any class that relies on weapon damage is going to be really weak if you cant trade for decent endgame gear.

Any class that relies on skill damage, conversely, will do OK on its own untwinked, and can get better should you find good gear. Like people have been saying:

Sorcs of all ilk
Necros, both summon and PnB, though PnB is a little underpowered without certain pieces of gear
LF and FA zons
Wind druids, though same caveat as PnB necs
Trapsins (which, untwinked, are basically Fishymancers with one badass minion)

Paladins and Barbs generally all rely on gear, so untwinked, you're going to suffer with them eventually.

Also, a lot of these builds listed above are built around L24 or L30 skills, so you're pretty much going to have to suck it up and get rushed in Trist and Tombs and Cows and Baal till you're L24 or L30 and get access to your "main" skill and can start to be viable on your own.

All in all, and barring summon necro, I'd say your best bet is a classic ol' Meteorb sorc. She gets skills early on, she's versatile, she's got TP, and she scales well from scrubby gear up to high-end endgame stuff, which isnt that hard to acquire for a Meteorber.

...{good points made]
Trapsins (which, untwinked, are basically Fishymancers with one badass minion)
I have to second the advice that a Lightning Trapper is a viable option untwinked. Aim for 20 FBlast (untwinked/semi-solo, you will need an LI attack), 20 LSentry, 1 in all Shadow skills except Venom, Shadow Master cast at slvl 17, at least 1 in DSentry, rest in LSentry synergies. Me, I like 20 in DSentry for the range, others like to synergize with CBSentry and SWeb so you can run bosses with CBSentry. Check the Assy forum stickies for the debates on this. And all the LSentry synergies also synergize FBlast to the same extent.

The nice thing is, if you go dual claws, you can shop +skill tree claws from Anya (+2 in NM (maybe Norm), +3 in Hell). I never bother to try for +3 tree +Xskills - those claws are very rare and they require too much Str/Dex (my most recent Guardian Trapper has 55 str/dex, rest in vit). The quick thing about shopping Anya is you can duck into the Nihilly portal to reset her wares. Aim for 2x+3 traps on main, 2x+3 Shadow on switch for SMaster (best minion in the game, IMHO) and Fade. You can also keep +Shadow circlets and ammys in the stash.

Basic strategy I use is to get close to a group, CoS (right mouse button) to slow them down, drop 4 LSentries, FBlast (Left mouse button), DSentry when you get a few dead, re-CoS/LSentry as needed. The art comes in running up to a group, get them to follow in a line, and drop LSentries to pierce through their line up.

I also almost always drop the LSentries in the same spot, so they target the same monster, rather than spreading the damage around. This means that the number of possible attackers diminishes more quickly.

Also, a lot of these builds listed above are built around L24 or L30 skills, so you're pretty much going to have to suck it up and get rushed in Trist and Tombs and Cows and Baal till you're L24 or L30 and get access to your "main" skill and can start to be viable on your own.
Yeah, you are going to have to tough it out until you get the good skills/gear. Insight is a great merc weapon (go HFreeze when you hit NM A2), but until you can get that, you will have to be judicious with the trap dropping and rely heavily on the pots. Trapsins aren't the best boss runners, but are nice area runners if push comes to shove. Oh, and they are cheap and simple and easy to do no/low twink.

Good luck,
TehSpud

you dont need to get rushed trhough tristram/tombs with a trap sin, i just built one with no low gear, just picked up cracked boots and what not as i played. she did fine until i needed to start doing baal runs, she couldnt handle listor, but somehow was able to kill cows just fine.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High