Question on Merc Weapon (Unique Yari - 3 sockets)

RobbyD

Jun 16, 2009
Question on Merc Weapon (Unique Yari - 3 sockets)

I am trying to beat 1.09 SP with a Frenzy Barb (A1H now) with an Act 2 HF Merc - he's getting toasted pretty often in Hell due to the resistance penalty, but as soon as I find another Lum rune, I'll get him into my Smoke Russet Armor and I'll Smoke up a Mage Plate I found (or a new 2-socket armor if I find a better one) - hopefully he won't be such a drain on finances to revive then.

Anyway, it's been fun having an interest in polearms to arm him with, and last night a unique Yari dropped. This particular unique comes complete with 3 sockets, so I seek advice on how to fill those sockets. I assume an Eth rune is an automatic, given the target defense calculation bug, but what else would be good? I have a +13 all resistances jewel - would this be a good investment into one of the sockets? I'm not necessarily going MF, but a good Unique Battle Hammer (Earthshaker) from NM Meph is the stick getting me through Hell, so would a pTopaz be the best 3rd socket filler? I basically have runes through Hel and, of course, a collection of gems.

Has anybody had this particular situation happen? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Question on Merc Weapon (Unique Yari - 3 sockets)

How about Amn & Shael for one frame faster attack speed and life leech? (Or 2x Amn)

Resistances will get up eventually when your merc gains levels, and in my opinion, faster attack speed and life leech would have greater benefits.

Last edited:

As stated above, Amn, Amn, Shael is normal for the Hone Sundan. It's one of the premier 1.09 merc weapons in my opinion.

As stated above, Amn, Amn, Shael is normal for the Hone Sundan. It's one of the premier 1.09 merc weapons in my opinion.

Ooooh - YES, that IS a nice combo! I was very excited when I saw that, and I figured there would be those who had this as a merc weapon and would have advice. I have some Amns, but I want to make sure to have "Honor" ready with I FINALLY find a Zweihander for my NM Larzic reward (I've seen maybe half a dozen normal Executioner Swords drop with only ONE magic - i.e. useless for runewording - Zweihander sighting). I might have to go NM Countess running (ALL NM runs are FUN now, especially Baal, as my Frenzy Barb is essentially a weedeater there) just in case. At this rate, though, I might hold out for a Scourge to rune up for "Honor" and, until then, rune up a Jagged Star for "Black" as soon as I mine a Io rune from the Countess.

... I might hold out for a Scourge to rune up for "Honor"...

If I recall correctly, you may have a tough time finding a Scourge that early in Hell. I don't have a drop calc readily available right now, but I don't know if I've seen many that early(sparing The Pits, of course).

The Pits didn't drop high TCs in 1.09 (neither did Ancient Tunnels, Mausoleum, etc.), so I don't think you'll find a scourge until at least Act 3 Hell, probably beyond. Best bet would be Hell Cows, but that would require getting Pat. :\

The Pits didn't drop high TCs in 1.09 (neither did Ancient Tunnels, Mausoleum, etc.), so I don't think you'll find a scourge until at least Act 3 Hell, probably beyond. Best bet would be Hell Cows, but that would require getting Pat. :\

Thanks. Getting Pat untwinked in 1.09 is my goal here, since I never acheived that when I played years ago. After that, who knows, maybe 1.13 will be out.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High