Code:
Poison Dagger: 20/36
Poison Explosion: 20/36
Poison Nova: 20/36
Bone Wall and Bone Prison: 1/17
Glay Golem, Golem Mastery, Summon Resist: 1/10
All curses except Confuse and Attract: 1/10
All Prereqs: 1
13 Unspent - Possibly CE? Suggestions welcome.

Poison Nova Damage: 6770-7007

Merc:
Code:
Act 2 Holy Freeze - Level 79
Gear:
Obedience Cryptic Axe
Duress eth Kraken Shell
Vamp Gaze

Normal:
Like all my characters, there isn't much to say about all of Normal. I twinked the hell out of him with Envy gear, then at level 15, a 1.09 Ravenclaw.

Nightmare:
Up until Act 3 of Nightmare, I was thoroughly unimpressed by this build and actually was doubting his survivability in Hell. My plan in Nightmare was to wait until I could equip most of the Trang-Oul's set before putting any of it on. Right at the end of Act 2, I hit level 54 and equiped the Necro head, gloves, and armor. My poison damage jumped up by more than 1000 and he basically turned into a killing machine. The rest of Nightmare was a complete cakewalk. I didn't even use Lower Resist for most of it, other than on bosses and the Ancients. I also began using Bone Prison in Nightmare, which with only one point invested was surprisingly effective. It didn't hold up well with bosses, but it held up great against normal monsters and boss packs. I finished Nightmare at level 70, ran Baal until 72, then moved on to Hell. At this point, I had full Trang's equipped and my Poison Nova damage was around 6k.

Hell:
To begin Hell, I threw the Poison Facets into my gear and headed out. I steam rolled through Acts 1 and two with absolutely no resistance. By this point, I had reached the poison damage you see in the LCS. With full Trang's equipped and all of the Poison and Bone skillers, the one point investment into Bone Prison was wonderful. Both Andariel and Duriel remained trapped inside bone prison for the entire battle with no need to refresh.
Acts 3 and 4 were slightly more difficult, but that was simply because of some poison immunities. Lower Resist broke all of them up to this point except for Stygan Dolls in the Durance of Hate. As with Andariel and Duriel, Mephisto and Big D remained trapped in Bone Prison with no problems.
Act 5 started out the same as Acts 3 and 4. A few immunities here and there and a few were unbreakable. It really wasn't a problem since with full Trang's you move so quickly. I got to the Ancient's and they went down very quickly. Up to this point, I had no deaths with this character, which was a first. I figured that I'd probably finish without any deaths on this character, which would have been quite an achievement in my book. Level one of the WSK was easy. No unbreakable immunities, no Souls, ect. Went down to level 2 and found the waypoint at the end of the first path I took. I went back to the entrance of level 2 and turned down another hall way. There I was greeted with two boss packs of Souls and died instantly. Thinking I could recover my body, I went back in and quickly got killed. I S&Eed and then reloaded. The level spawned with the same monsters as before. So, I slowly made my way around the level using Dim Vision and by casting my Golem ahead of me. After fighting off 4 boss packs of Souls, I made it to level 3. Level 3 was much easier and I found the throne room in no time. The throne was covered in Burning Souls, which are unbreakable PIs. In order to deal with this, I cast Dim Vision nonstop until my merc cleared the entire room. After that, everything was a cake walk. To deal with the Venom Lord wave, I once again cast Dim Vision until my merc took everything out. Baal went down pretty easily, but it took much longer than the other Prime Evils.

Thoughts:
My original plan for this build was to wait until I found a Death's Web because I thought that was the only way Poisonmancers were really effective. Since I got sick of waiting for Pindle to drop one, I decided to give it a try anyways. I'm very glad Once I had full Trang's equipped, I quickly saw that DWeb is by no means a requirement for this build. Now, I understand my gear isn't exactly cheap, but even without a HotO or all the Poison and Bone skillers this build would have been Hell viable.

Things I enjoyed about this build:
Insane FRW
Walking and running is the same speed in Vampire form
Insane poison damage
Killing packs of monsters take the same amount of time as killing one monster
Insane mana pool

Things I didn't enjoy about this build:
Merc always disappears because of insane FRW
Vampire form is ugly.
Fire skills granted by full Trang's are pretty much useless(at least I feel they are)
Lower FCR in Vampire form causes you to get locked in hit recovery

The only negative side of the build that made a difference was the lower FCR. If you got surrounded by monsters, you can't get Poison Nova off before getting hit. However, the high FRW makes it easy to get out of a pack of monsters and reposition yourself.

Future:
I want to get 1 more Poison and Bone Skiller, a +2 skills ammy, a 2 Stones of Jordan on him. With that set up, I think I can hit 8k poison damage. I'd love to try a DWeb on him, but I doubt I'll even find one. I don't think I'm going to retire him yet, simply because he's so much fun to play. I can easily see him rivaling a sorceress in area running if you had an Enigma.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, the LCS Poison Nova damage is different than the final Poison Nova damage because I received a Poison and Bone skiller right after killing Baal. I'll probably update this again if I get him better gear to update his max damage.

Thanks for reading and a hope you enjoyed the write up!

Last edited:
Re: Patriarch Death - The Trang-Oul's Poisonmancer

congrats poison necros are fun:thumbsup:

did you play on players 1 in hell?

Great job! I'm considering a PN/Skelly hybrid once I can get the gear ready. I'd max PN/synergies first; it seems more fun than skellies.

Anyway, I know it's nice to block with Trang's because you can walk full speed, but do you recommend it given the huge amount of dex needed? Did you find the blocking too slow?

Also, I'm surprised you use melee attack on your left click. I also right click almost exclusively, but sometimes I misclick while moving and end up using the left click skill on a monster. I would have used fireball or something. :)

@lone_wolf
Yes, I played on /p1 in Hell, but if I redid this build, I would have done /p3 or /p5.

@essojay
For a poisonmancer, I highly recommend max block. The blocking is slow, but as I said in the write up, you can easily run out of those situations. The thing I liked most was that I could stand in the middle of a huge pack of slower monsters and wipe them all out without losing any health.
I tried setting Fireball to my left click, but it wasn't even worth it. Every once in a while I'd misclick and attack, but it wasn't a big deal.

Edit: I forgot to mention in the write up that I have 13 unspent skill points. I think I plan on putting them in CE.

a cheap rw is white in a 2 os +3 poison nova wand
congrats on your pat!

CE all the way. And run the pit like mad ;)

Of course the build really shines with Enigma+Dweb. But then, you will find you need more FCR (75), which makes Trang-Oul pieces useless. I've tried to use 3pieceTals (shield/belt/gloves) on mine to get the -25 EPR bonus. The losses in FCR (arach), resists and skills (homunculus) just make it less worthwhile.

You could try swapping the armor and the helm for something like Shako+Skullder's (add some MF charms in the mix) and MF a bit with him (I am not sure how your current stat allocation affects the possibility of this). Do not worry about resists going down, just keep the cold resist above 30 and you should do fine.

Congratulations. It's a fun build, and set-builds are always a treat.

@nebux: I considered making 'White', but I was too lazy to shop for a wand :p. I do plan on making one eventually though; even if it is only to see what the maximum amount of damage I can get out of him is.

@zerth: I am thinking about making him an MF character, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I might run him in the Pits as is for some levels, then I might wait until I have some better gear. I'm running LK now, so maybe in a few months I can have some epic gear for him. At the very least, I think I need a DWeb so he can still be effective since I'll have to lose some Poison and Bone skillers.

@zerth: I am thinking about making him an MF character, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I might run him in the Pits as is for some levels, then I might wait until I have some better gear. I'm running LK now, so maybe in a few months I can have some epic gear for him. At the very least, I think I need a DWeb so he can still be effective since I'll have to lose some Poison and Bone skillers.
Nice pat! :thumbup:

I'll echo what Zerth mentioned. Partial trangs + Skullders and Shako is awesome. And while leveling in the pits, some MF can't hurt, right? :)

Really nice to hear your thoughts about a full Trangs PNovamancer. I'm kinda jealous though of those P&B skillers though! I only have one atm... but then again, I'm the proud owner of a DWeb. I really should run LK more for more skillers.

What are your thoughts about the skellies? If you run that fast, don't they get behind easily? And if you start running he Pit, could you let me know if you find it annoying if they get behind? It's mainly because of that that I went with 1pt BA + BW synergy.

I also found that my Clay Golem got killed easily when facing hard hitting enemies (read: archers). That's why I invested some more points in him. Personally, I think my CE has a big enough radius. *IF* you would plan to pump Gumby as well, search for a thread of mine from a few weeks back about Golem HP optimization.

Have fun with him!

Nice pat! :thumbup:

I'll echo what Zerth mentioned. Partial trangs + Skullders and Shako is awesome. And while leveling in the pits, some MF can't hurt, right? :)

Really nice to hear your thoughts about a full Trangs PNovamancer. I'm kinda jealous though of those P&B skillers though! I only have one atm... but then again, I'm the proud owner of a DWeb. I really should run LK more for more skillers.

What are your thoughts about the skellies? If you run that fast, don't they get behind easily? And if you start running he Pit, could you let me know if you find it annoying if they get behind? It's mainly because of that that I went with 1pt BA + BW synergy.

I also found that my Clay Golem got killed easily when facing hard hitting enemies (read: archers). That's why I invested some more points in him. Personally, I think my CE has a big enough radius. *IF* you would plan to pump Gumby as well, search for a thread of mine from a few weeks back about Golem HP optimization.

Have fun with him!

I didn't have any skeletons, so I can't really give any advice there.

I found that my clay golem with a point in Golem Mastery and Summon Resist held up well. I never even had to resummon him while fighting Baal. I found that the Clay Golem stayed up to the same pace as I did MOST of the time, but in bigger areas he got left behind. The good thing about minions is that they always teleport back to you when they get too far away.

Smips,

I had a poison necro as well. He did quite well in the pits. I'm not sure what his damage was, as I stripped him. I'm pretty sure it was similar to yours. I put the rest of my points into RS. I've got that maxed, although Fred is level 87. Rest of my points will go into SM. Being that the poison kills things in about 2 seconds, I'm not sure if dumping points into CE is a good idea. Not to mention your 1 point in it will end up being somewhere around a level 15 after all your bonii. I played mine though as a full trangs necro, but decided to go partial and run the pits with him. Mayhaps I should be looking for a Dweb as well.

Smips,

I had a poison necro as well. He did quite well in the pits. I'm not sure what his damage was, as I stripped him. I'm pretty sure it was similar to yours. I put the rest of my points into RS. I've got that maxed, although Fred is level 87. Rest of my points will go into SM. Being that the poison kills things in about 2 seconds, I'm not sure if dumping points into CE is a good idea. Not to mention your 1 point in it will end up being somewhere around a level 15 after all your bonii. I played mine though as a full trangs necro, but decided to go partial and run the pits with him. Mayhaps I should be looking for a Dweb as well.

I checked yours out in the Mat/Pat compilation thread and I think he was doing ~7.7k poison damage(which I was striving to beat :wink: ). I'm still torn between CE and RS, but I think RS might be better. I don't think any PIs spawn in the Pits(correct me if I'm wrong), so I think the meat shields would add more to the survivalbilty than the CE will add to my kill speed(since Poison Nova hits most of the screen anyways).
I'm definitely going to have to strip of my full Trang's for MF though, which is disappointing. The gear is still good if I do so MP Baaling with him though :).

I don't remember how many skillers I used, and I'm too lazy to look. I was using a "white" wand though, and that offers some pretty decent +Skills. I don't think RS will steer you wrong. I don't recall there being any PIs in the pits. Nor are there any PoiIs. Certainly keep the trangs set around for MP. In fact, grab me on aim sometime and I'll run baal with my trangs necro with you.

I don't remember how many skillers I used, and I'm too lazy to look. I was using a "white" wand though, and that offers some pretty decent +Skills. I don't think RS will steer you wrong. I don't recall there being any PIs in the pits. Nor are there any PoiIs. Certainly keep the trangs set around for MP. In fact, grab me on aim sometime and I'll run baal with my trangs necro with you.

Sounds good, Ashmer :thumbsup:. Just curious, do you remember what level character you used to shop the wand for 'White'? I have to remember to get one on my next play through.

Oh, and I'm on AIM nearly all the time and usually up for some D2. If you ever want to take your necro for a run, let me know.

Congrats on the pat! I have to admit, I'm also a huge fan of full trang's poisonmancers - the speed is just too cool. You have plenty of speed to get into and out of trouble quickly and since you can run at walk speed you get full block as well, so awesome.

@DZJB: of course you outrun the skellies. Just barely, though, really, at least in the pits. You lead with any build involving skeletons unless you're a really, really slow fishymancer, so it's no big deal. You dart ahead and cast Poison Nova if you want to kill what's coming to you and just run past them if you don't. Full trang's is so fast you can dodge just about anything (many's the time I've taken mine past mobs of dark rogues through tight halls in the Pits while amped and come out safely). If you want to kill whatever's there, you just cast Nova, step back and your skellies will generally be ahead of you. From there you LR and Nova/CE/Firewall away until it's time to move on.

@Smips: CE. Go with CE and run the Pits. If you aren't going to run the pits you can go with something else, but if you plan to (and a poisonmancer is extremely tough to beat for it) then dump those points into CE.

I didn't have any skeletons, so I can't really give any advice there.

I found that my clay golem with a point in Golem Mastery and Summon Resist held up well. I never even had to resummon him while fighting Baal. I found that the Clay Golem stayed up to the same pace as I did MOST of the time, but in bigger areas he got left behind. The good thing about minions is that they always teleport back to you when they get too far away.
Damn, sorry mate, it was kinda late when I wrote that :coffee: For some reason I thought you put the remaining points in the skellies...

@maareek: thanks for the info. I hope I haven't made a mistake with putting the remaining points in BA synergies... :scratchchin: He does just fine though, and he's really fast.

Congratulations Smips! With a few more + all skills, those fire skills (namely Fire Wall) would do better damage than you might expect. Nothing groundbreaking, but still workable for questing.

Regarding 'White', you can't vendor the appropriate wand. Just start picking up wands, and you'll get a +3 Nova one eventually.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High