Starting hardcore

Torus

Jun 12, 2009
Starting hardcore

Hey all,

Just came back to D2 after a substantial break (5+ years) and decided that I wanted to start with something a little more challenging than the powerleveled, bot spammed zergfest that is normal mode, so me and my friend decided to go with hardcore for hopefully more rewarding gameplay. I'm planning on going a hybrid amazon, with maxed guided arrow/lightning fury, and some in the regular helpful stuff (magic arrow, dodges, pierce line, etc). My friend has gone with an overlord necro.

I was wondering if anyone had some helpful hints or opinions on this setup for safety and viability through hell. We don't have any gear whatsoever, so we're making due with what we find. Also, what mercs would you guys advise? Currently we're thinking about using might and defiance act 2 mercs, to maximize the staying/killing power of his minions while giving us substantial physical damage, but I'm afraid we may not have enough magical damage to deal with PIs. Thoughts?

Torus

Re: Starting hardcore

Your friend can be good with no gear if he knows what he is doing. Necro is the only class that could survive the entire game naked. (good luck getting that image out of your head) Anyhow, necro is a great hc starting character.

For Mercenaries Act 2 guys are usually the best because of their auras. Holy Freeze is very popular. Defiance and others can be good also. If you plan to play with your necro pal most of the time be sure to get different mercs. The necro should definitely get a Might mercenary.

I recommend reading up on the guides here or on the battle.net forums.

Your friend can be good with no gear if he knows what he is doing. Necro is the only class that could survive the entire game naked. (good luck getting that image out of your head) Anyhow, necro is a great hc starting character.

For Mercenaries Act 2 guys are usually the best because of their auras. Holy Freeze is very popular. Defiance and others can be good also. If you plan to play with your necro pal most of the time be sure to get different mercs. The necro should definitely get a Might mercenary.

I recommend reading up on the guides here or on the battle.net forums.

most characters can handle the entire game naked in the hands of the right player.

For mercs IMO might for him and holy freeze for you because I think that would give ou the best spread. As for killing PI's I really don't know what the best Idea would be for that.....I don't know to much about the amazon because it's not my specialty, however if you are looking for other people to play with I would be more then willing to join tonight. I am just starting a assassin and I am looking for some people to play with.
I play on east hardcore ladder :)
My account name is Darklord_theone
I will be on tonight around 7ish. you can eithe whisper me or pm me on here.
Hope things go well for you :)

I am going warrior/monk build :)
Shadow master, DTalon, Blade Fury, Mind Blast, Fade, CoS,
So really if your looking for someone to help with the PI's I am your best friend :p
With Max CB and the right gear My AR is like 4500 and I do one hell of a lot of damage and with the shriken's take on the weapon characteristics it's a fun build to play I must say!!!

Thanks for all the replies :)

Firstly, we decided against holy freeze as its tendency to shatter enemies upon death would remove too many corpses for the necromancer. I'm still curious as to how effective magic arrow would be against PIs, whether its worth it or not, or should i just still with one of the lightning javelin abilities.

@darkfear- unfortunately, we play on uswest, but if you'd want to switch over there we'd love to have another member for our group =D

Well hardly on expert on Amazons, it seems to me that magic arrow might present a bit of a problem for an untwinked character as the magic damage is based on physical damage (and who knows what bows you’ll be able to find). For untwinked bowazons freezing arrow (with cold arrow as a synergy) is pretty popular . . . but it would of course turn a great number of enemy corpses to slush (which as you said, your friend’s necro might not appreciate).

Perhaps a better option would be poison/plague javelin which like lightning fury would be independent of weapon damage. Plus, with all your killing skills in the jav tree you could focus on only equipping gear with plus to jav/spear skills). I understand that not everyone likes the poison jav skills but for untwinked play I think it would be pretty good option.

Cheers!

Last edited:

I agree that poison / plague is a much better direction to go for a starting ama.

Bow skills, particularly the physical ones, are just too weak to be viable in most situations imo.

I have a amazon, a strafer at lvl 80 right now. She is not in amazing gear, but she has a Hellrack (lvl 76 req colossus Xbow) and decent gear.

Despite the hellrack doing 30-320x3 elemental damage and about 300 physical damage, my amazon is having a hard hard time proceeding past a2 hell, not because of PI's, but simply because between AR and monster health she is just not doing enough damage.

LF + Plague is much better and much less gear dependent.

If you insist on using bow skills, use the cold arrow/freezing arrow combo.

I will also be willing to start a character on USWest :)
What kind of character would you like? because i don't want to pick anything that would already be used by one of you :)
So if you like i can do my assassin build which is more front line then anything. basis is a kicksin with a little stuff around the edges :)
PM me and let me know what kind of assit you would like me to be. I can play anything and have done it. so whatever you need I will build!!!
Thanks
~Kyle~

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High