Necro Build Advice

cyberdemonnecro

Mar 23, 2009
Necro Build Advice

Im trying to read the mouldy tome thread with the guides and such, but none of them seem to really help me here. im trying to determine which golem is best for someone who MF's alot in hell, which poison skills are best, poison nova, or bone spirit / spear combo, which curses i should focus on, and finally, which stats i should work on while leveling. a gear list would also be much appreciated too :-D

Re: Necro Build Advice

Hi! Welcome to the forums!

PvM-wise, I'll definately say Poison Nova > Bone Spear/Bone Spirit, especially for clearing areas.

An 'Insight' Iron Golem is good if you have 'Enigma' and around +20 to your skills, but otherwise, Clay Golem is preferred for it's tanking abilities and its slowing effect. As for which curses you want... it highly depends on which build you are making. Amplify Damage/Decrepify/Dim Vision/Life Tap for a Summoner, Lower Resist/Decrepify/Dim Vision/Life Tap for a Novamancer, and Decrepify/Dim Vision/Life Tap for a Boner.

The reason Decrepify/Dim Vision/Life Tap are listed for all three builds is because they are great utiliy curses.

Decrepify: slows, decreases damage, increases physical damage taken; great balance of offence and defence for any build.

Dim Vision: blinds everyone in the radius; great for crowd control.

Life Tap: when your mercenary needs to heal; cast it, he/she heals, then re-cast your main curse.

Amplify Damage is a Summoner's main curse; Lower Resist is a Novamancer's main curse; Bone Necros do not have a main curse because none of them will amplify his damage output, so most Boners usually use defensive curses (aka the three I mentionned) instead.

Sometimes players will also throw in Attract/Confuse/Terror, but much less often.

Also, which guide(s) are you referring to? I'm sure all of them provide a good lay-out of skills, stats, along with what gear you should aim for. Asking for help is encouraged, but asking for someone to basically type out an entire build is often looked down upon, especially if a guide already covers it. Just give me an idea what build you want and I'll direct you to a guide that covers it. :)

ok so ive done some skill calculating. this is what ive come up with:

20 clay golem
20 golem mastery
7 summon resist
1 teeth
1 poison dagger
1 corpse explosion
1 poison explosion
20 poison nova
1 amplify damage
10 dim vision
1 weaken
1 iron maiden
1 lifetap
10 decrepify

102 skill points used

im a little cautious of not using corpse explosion much and putting all of MY dps into poison nova, but i guess everyone says its the best to use. i dont know which stat i should max out, im guessing max vitality, energy to a set number, and enough str. to wear all my gear.from what i see here though i think its a pretty solid skill build.

Okay, I'll throw in more pointers.

1. Are you playing v1.10+? Ever since 1.10, synergies have been introduced. Poison Nova recieves a 10% boost in damage per point you put in Poison Dagger or Poison Explosion. Your damage will not be very good if you do not raise Poison Dagger and Poison Explosion both to level 20.

2. On Necromancers, if you can obtain around +10ish skills, you do not need to pump curses beyond 1 point. That means you can leave Decrepify at level 1, and perhaps Dim Vision at much lower level!

3. The very same concept applies to golems. When you have around +10ish skills, you can leave Clay Golem, Golem Mastery, and Summon Resist all at one point, and they will still be very effective.

4. You seem to be making a Novamancer. You should invest in the Lower Resist curse.

Before I tell you how to distribute stats/skills any further, can you answer:

1. Are you playing battle.net or single player?
2. What items do you have at your disposal as of now?

yeah, i forgot about synergies lol....but i want to max out what im using as much as i can and spend as little points as possible in skills i wont be using.

im a level 14 necromancer atm with nothing on him but defaults, and no points spent into anything yet, just leveling him asap so i can MF with him. yeah hes on b.net ladder useast

alright ive looked into it, and you said i NEED 20/20 poison dagger / poison explosion if my Nova is to have good dps? that means im sinking 60 points into 1 skill basically :-\

so i have 60 from those 3 skills maxed out, and im sticking 20 into clay golem, and 10 into golem mastery and summon resist. the last points i invest into curses, 1 point into the prereqs. and 9 into lower resist.

so i have 40 into Summons, 60 into Poison, and 15 into Curses, totaling at 115. that should be level 99 with all bonus skill points from quests added in. as for stats im thinking about maxing vitality, putting a set number into energy, and enough into str. to wear my gear. how does this revision sound?

The reason Decrepify/Dim Vision/Life Tap are listed for all three builds is because they are great utiliy curses.

Decrepify: slows, decreases damage, increases physical damage taken; great balance of offence and defence for any build.
Although Decrepify is a great curse, I wouldn't recommend it for a summoner that uses clay golem instead of iron golem. Amplify Damage is better for damage, and Clay already slows, so against act bosses Decrepify doesn't add any slow because Clay maxes it out (due to a visual glitch, Decrep will appear to slow the boss further, but the boss will still attack at Clay-but-not-Decrep speed server-side). This means that, for a Clay Summoner, the only case were Decrep is of any use at all is against large packs of scary monsters... although some might argue that Decrep is worth it against Lister alone, I'd argue otherwise. Just use Amp. (Iron Golem summoners should still use Decrep occasionally.)

Life Tap is useful if you have an Act 2 merc (most people do); its usually used against bosses and to partially counteract Iron Maiden (cast by Oblivion Knights). Act 1 mercs do not need it; your minions do not need it. If you decide to go with Act 1 Faith merc (which is viable), do not bother with Life Tap.

Past slvl10 (after item bonuses), the only significant benefit of increased levels in Lower Reist is radius and duration. Most poisonmancers have plenty of poison-pierce gear on (Death's Web, 3-piece Trang's, Rainbow Facets), so all you really need Lower Resist to do is break poison immunities, then gear takes care of the rest. -55% poison resist is enough to break the immunity of a 110% poison resist monster. Unfortunately, the next level of poison immunity is 115%, which would require -80% poison resist, which Lower Resist can't do. Even a slvl50 Lower Reisist only gives -69% resist (that's -2% for immunes, and non-immunes are easy so they're not a worry), so it's probably a better idea to get 1 hard point in Lower Resist, rely on items for +9 (or more), and spend the points elsewhere. If you're cheesy, you might skip the prerequisites and rely on gear to grant you Lower Resist; however, this makes either Death's Web or Trang-Oul's Wing impossible.

Ok so instead of decrep, im going to use amplify damage, iron maiden, and life tap. now does life tap work well with poison nova? and yes i was planning on using an act 2 merc for holy freeze. and i should keep the points in lower resist? other than that minor change, does my build sound good for a MF necro?

btw just got a blackhand, trang chest, and a bunch of other really neat junk from a buddy of mine :)

now does life tap work well with poison nova?

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :guiness: and feel free to raise some corpses.

Life Tap (LT) doesn't work with spells. You'd need to be doing melee damage for it to work. It will work for your Merc.

and i should keep the points in lower resist?

Put 1 point in lower resist (LR). More than that and you are starting to hit serious diminishing returns, since you will pick up some +skill items.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High