The exp gained from Ancients?

gedda-d-e

Oct 13, 2003
The exp gained from Ancients?

Hey SPF,
Just wanted to know if, and if so until when, you save up your ancient quest for? Ive got a couple of chars in A1-A5 Hell that are not yet Pat/Mat:ed and I read somewhere in a write-up that the author (can't remeber when or what build atm) was saving the quest for lvl 94->95. Is there a special reason for this or is it just personal preference?
I normally just do them when I get there, which playing at /p8 is roughly around lvl 83-85, and thats when you also stop loosing exp (80 million for the quest, lvls 83-->84 is 79 million exp). I mean basically, from that point on you get the same amount of exp every level, dont you? So... thoughts?

Cheers guys :thumbup:

Re: The exp gained from Ancients?

...I mean basically, from that point on you get the same amount of exp every level, dont you?

Nope, it doesn't work that way. As you get to be a higher level than monsters, you suffer more and more penalties to the experience you gain when you kill them. Since the highest area levels are level85 areas, once you get to 91-92, your experience gain will really start to slow down because the difference is fairly large at that point. On top of that, it takes larger chunks of experience to gain further levels, so that makes it even tougher to gain levels into your mid/high nineties.

However, the Ancients quest doesn't suffer an experience penalty (you get 40 million, no matter what*), so the longer you put it off, the more 'efficient' the experience you gain is (relative to the experience you get from killing monsters).

* actually, I believe you're limited to gaining only one level from completing the quest now, so if you did it early enough, it's seems possible that you may get less than 40M... though with the level60 limit to finishing the quest, perhaps that's not true. I haven't explored this enough to know the exact details and limitations.

Personally, I did wait until level94 before I did the quest with my Blizzsorc, but she was a dedicated Pindle/Meph MF build and is used for gambling (at level95 you're guaranteed a chance at +2 amulets every time you gamble). Usually I'm much lower when/if I kill the Ancients though.

While my blizzsorc also waited until 94 before doing the ancients, I currently just do them basically whenever I reach them. If I really desperately want to get levels, it's fast enough anyways.

If you are absolutely 100% sure that you want to reach a certain level, it is to your advantage to wait until you are one level away before doing the ancients (though only if you bypass them in some way to do baals - it's a lot slower to level up on pindle than it is to just do ancients then level up on baal) because as poops said, while you get the same amount of exp regardless of which level you do it at, it's much harder to get exp from other sources at higher levels, so 80m is worth more baal runs the higher level you are.

-CG

though only if you bypass them in some way to do baals

and that some way would be .. what? (ofc if its not bad manners) .. I guess even if you get tp to throne room without ancient quest, you wont be able to enter it, right? or wrong?

Ok, cheers guys. Do you know anywhere I can find a table of these penalties? Ive found one on the Arreat Summit giving me the exp between levels but not the reductions..
I just reached the ancients way with my zealot/smiter at lvl 86 and might do some pitruns to get him a bit higher and then knock out the ancients.

Thanks a lot guys! :thumbup:

I think you can bypass ancients in mp game if someone kills baal while your in team with them (atleast thats what I remember from my HF rushing days) after that someone can give you tp to WP.

I think you can bypass ancients in mp game if someone kills baal while your in team with them (atleast thats what I remember from my HF rushing days) after that someone can give you tp to WP.

IIRC you can access your own portals and the waypoint without the quest, so all you need to do is join an MP game, have them kill ancients, party up, have them make a TP on Arreat Summit, enter, go into the WSK keep and find the waypoint, leave the game, and then it's single player as normal.

-firelights

Personally, I did wait until level94 before I did the quest with my Blizzsorc, but she was a dedicated Pindle/Meph MF build and is used for gambling (at level95 you're guaranteed a chance at +2 amulets every time you gamble). Usually I'm much lower when/if I kill the Ancients though.

Semi OT: is that clvl 95 breakpoint correct for sure? I remember reading clvl93 as the breakpoint but can't find it now. The place i read said you get ilvl of 88 at worst from gambling and if you use a lvl 93 char you get ilvl 90 as the output of the recipe, which is enough for +2 skills.

I am planning to level up mu blizzy before doing serious crafting, that's why i ask.

EDIT: I gave an answer to myself i guess. I thought you were talking about crafting too. Sorry for hijack.

IIRC you can access your own portals and the waypoint without the quest, so all you need to do is join an MP game, have them kill ancients, party up, have them make a TP on Arreat Summit, enter, go into the WSK keep and find the waypoint, leave the game, and then it's single player as normal.

-firelights

Ahh yes now I remember, you have to party up after ancients are killed.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High