OT: Show off your tattoos, piercings, body mods, and designs! der=

John Remedy

Jul 17, 2007
OT: Show off your tattoos, piercings, body mods, and designs!

Hi all. :wave:

After a (all-too) brief discussion spanning a couple of dailies, a few people thought it would be good to start an OT threads talking about tattoos, piercings and body mods (within the forum guidelines). :whistling:

This thread can/could be used for all sorts of topics: what hurts, where it hurts, regional pricing, regional styles, pros/cons of body mods, the effects of your art, advice on styles, complimenting others, or even just a place to hide if you've never really fit in anywhere. :crazyeyes:

===

Currently I'm away from the place where the pics of *my* art are kept, but here are some cool designs I have stashed, to perhaps get the ball rolling. I'll post a proper bio/reasons for my ink/pics later on. :thumbup:

UV tattoo of the bones in the hand. I've heard these don't last very long, but it is teh awesum.

Back piece - Snowman war. Very cool, possible cover-up.

Geiger-inspired chest piece. Looks *very* painful.

Bio-mech piece, similar in idea to what I want on my leg

Shawnee Smith from Saw in the bear-trap mask. Very cool. Quite a painful place to have one done.

One of the scariest images I have ever seen, let alone as a tattoo.

Awesome tribal piece. I don't think it's real though, but I did take a lot of inspiration from it for my work.

Another Geiger-piece on the leg. Spooky.

A huge Geiger back piece. The artist that does my work actually did this.

St George killing the dragon. Amazing detail.

===

So there. I hope while I spend a few days with the wife this weekend, the topic generates some debate and discussion for me to come back to, if not... I'll start spamming more than pancakeman. :smug:

Re: OT: Show off your tattoos, piercings, body mods, and designs!

They all look very cool, though to be honest if I ever got something, it would be a very simple and small design :p

Check this one out for a tat....pretty dam awesome!

Check this one out for a tat....pretty dam awesome!

..If you secretly want to be a spiderman..

No pictures from me (yet), because I don't have a tattoo (yet) and I'm going to extend my piercings even more, so I'll post some of my own, when my ear-extensions are at 8mm and I can use couple of nice jewelry pairs (spirals and tunnels).

But, I may be too shy to post any pictures of myself :whistling:

@Morathi: That's an awesome tattoo. Would've hurt like Hell! It was my desktop for a week or two. Not sure where it disappeared to.

@Neksja: I'd love to see a before and after pic. Can you tell us why you went for them? I'ev never seen the attraction myself. I don't have any piercings, but an incredibly large tattoo, which is unusual in itself.

This is my first tattoo.

The photo was taken right after he finished it, almost 2 years ago. I still need to get it touched up :whistling:

I was a skinny guy back then, haha..

EDIT: In case you were wondering, no the eye isn't actually red, it just looks like it.

@Neksja: I'd love to see a before and after pic. Can you tell us why you went for them? I'ev never seen the attraction myself. I don't have any piercings, but an incredibly large tattoo, which is unusual in itself.

Well, I'm already at 6mm and using two claws. I might take a pic and show before I'll start extending again.

Why? Well, it started with two normal piercings with just some fake-plugs, -claws and stuff like that. Then I was just wondering one evening at work "Why fakes? I like these stuff, so why not extend for real." Next morning, I walked to Art & Tattoo shop and they happened to have just one pair of extending earrings and I bought them.

Practically ran to home and started to extend. But, I was too excited and fast, so my left ear tore a tiny bit, so I had to stop and wait it to heal. I actually waited for 2 months before I got excited again. Lesson learnt, took a lot easier and now I'm at 6mm.

Just a friendly warning, think about extension carefully. No, they are perfectly healthy, but you'll get addicted. At first, I promised myself I'll extend only to 6mm, but hey, now I'm going to 8mm and I'm a little afraid if that's enough...

Pictures coming up? Don't know, only Diablo knows.

@twentymuleteam: I really like that artwork! Nice tat.

Here's a pic of my first tattoo, I let a friend do it as practice. He wanted to get into tattooing. It's the Mushroomhead face logo

And my next tat will be this design that I made. Still needs some tweaking, but it's almost done. I like the simplicity and symmetry of it.

After that I'm taking a drawing my daughter made when she was about 4 years old and I'm going to have it put on my chest. I still need to trace and clean up her original drawing.

Whatever you do, don't get a tribal, they are reserved for the rednecks and other scum of society.

I had this one made a couple years ago. It's small but I like it. It is a variation of the coat of arms of the province where I was born.

Whatever you do, don't get a tribal, they are reserved for the rednecks and other scum of society.

Haha, I'm guessing you didn't see the most recent Thursdaily... :whistling: Don't worry FastE, I like it. :thumbup:

Why is it that UV tattoo on the hand won't last long? Is it that the ink's unstable or that the tattoo is on a part of the body that's often flexed, rubbed, and stressed? I remember reading about a guy who got tattoos on the palms of his hands, but he had to get them redone every 2-3 years 'cause they'd wear out.

And a question; are those UV tattoos more expensive? I like those a lot. I say that I don't want a tattoo in a conspicuous place, but a UV tattoo might change that.

Woah, the Geiger stuff is insane! I've been fascinated with his art ever since I first saw Alien and seeing it in ink blew me away. If I ever get a tat, it'd definitely be a Geiger piece, but on a much smaller scale than the stuff posted.

Go Go Tattoo thread.

That is my first and only tattoo so far, might get another (more personal and elaborate) in a few years. Drew the rough draft myself and had some help from the tattoo artist in finalizing it. Not a piercing type of guy but I still think most are pretty cool.

OT: I am quickly realizing this forum is not helpful in getting to sleep...O well, i'll be up late tomorrow night anyway.

Haha, I'm guessing you didn't see the most recent Thursdaily... :whistling: Don't worry FastE, I like it. :thumbup

Well, a person can get whatever they want on their own body, but I wouldn't want to have a tribal on myself as about a hundred million other people have one as well. I say get an original one instead.

Oh and tribals are meant for pacific islander people and the like in my honest opinion, I find it hilarious and at the same time appalling that white people get them.

@Carolus: I don't know whether I should laugh or cry. Sure tribals are originally from places like New Zeeland and similar islands, but that doesn't give them the copyright to that kind of pattern, does it?

A tattoo should mean something for you, and if anyone finds that a tribal kind of tattoo suits them, then it's neither hilarius or appalling.

I'm glad this thread is gaining momentum. :)

The type of tribal I assume you're referring to Carolus is known as neo-tribal (basically big black spikes). The original tribal styles such as maori and polynesian are yes, descended and derived from orgininal tribes, or tribal parts of the world. However as you mention, White westerners have all three styles.

Ever since I was a kid I always used to draw big black spikes, sometimes random and elaborate designs, but always spikes at their base. To make you wince even more, yes I did really like George Clooney's tattoo in From Dusk Till Dawn. However I was aware of the popularity of the neo-tribal design, and so to make it my own, and seperate myself from others, I decided to get an overtly huge design, and also have it shaded. A lot of the tribal designs I see in my area of England are small, unshaded (and mostly poorly-drawn) neo-tribal. I actually get stopped in the street sometimes as people ask to look at my design in its entirety.

@TRM: Thanks for the thumbs up. I like it too.

UV ink is known to be the least-accepted by the skin (if that makes sense - the ink is a foreign substance after all). On the back of the hand, it probably wouldn't be that bad in the sense that that part is often-manipulated and flexed. Tattoos on the palm of the hand and soles of the feet fade quicker due to the salts released by the skin breaking down the ink. Some artists won't do them because they're ridiculously painful, other more reputable artists will also say that the tattoo will fade quickly and their design and work will be ruined.

@Neksja: Thanks for the information. One of the artists at my studio has one, and he mentioned it was very addictive in his early stages.

Long time ago (1 year +) I made a thread about piercings, mostly because I was afraid it would hurt like crap and wanted some comforting words :p... Instead I got horror stories of infection, death and the plague (well, similar anyways) and googling about it was the worst thing I ever done, so I put it off for a while.

After considering it some more, and having wanted one for a long time, a friend of mine wanted to get a piercing on her birthday and asked if I wanted to come with her, and the same day we went to a drop-in pierce studio and I got one as well ;)

I could post a picture, but then I would actually have take one first and my cable is slow atm :)rolleyes:)
I'm very glad I did it and I never regretted doing it.

About tattoos: I'd like one eventually, but I first need to figure out what. I want something personal and meaningful, but without it being too personal and just weird so others will think it's just crappy, like a tree with my moms face on it, humming the batman theme.
I'm not a big fan of tribals and the like (no offense), I think they can look really good (well some of them, definitely not all) and all, but I wouldn't want one for myself. If I'd were to get a tattoo it'd have to be more than just a piece of art, since it's such a permanent modification to yourself. I also wouldn't make a huge piece with alot of details on it, like a medival battle versus a dragon with some mages and thunderstorms etc. (;)), but I find it cool on people who actually has those huge detailed full-back pieces etc.

I'm kinda iffy on what kinds I like, hence my first problem of not knowing what I'd like keeps me from doing one... I mean finding a design that's beautiful, meaningful and not too cheesy/main stream/weird, yet simple and not too big is really hard :p.

Good topic :) Haven't had the time to read all psots trough as I must attend some stuff soon-ish, but I recon this will be a good read.

I have 1 tatoo. An angel on my right upper arm. I wanted a particular picture, but I couldn't find the picture I wanted for it. I'm pretty happy with what I got done though. I need to get it touched up. I spent several summers working on a lobster boat after I got it done, so its gotten a lot of sunlight. I'd like to get one more, but i can't figure out what I want. I've thought about something with my kids names, but my wife wants a third, and I don't want to get something with 2 names and then have a third. I also don't want to get my wifes name, and she kinda thinks I should. I'd stop at two. I'm fine with tattoos. Everyone is different, and to each thier own. But I don't want to be covered by them. I also had my ear pierced. Did it myself in school one day. My mother got mad and made me take it out. Two weeks later I turned 18 and went and had it done professionally. Haven't had an earing in for years. I'd imagine the hole has closed up. I've never had the desire to gauge my ears. Its not my thing. I think my little brother has done it. I don't plan on getting any more piercings, but I might have my ear redone. A friend on mine has his nipples pierced. That had to hurt like crazy. And I think his wife has her tongue pierced. I can't imagine having something in my mouth all the time.

I'm going to get a tattoo shaped like a butt that has a butt-shaped tattoo on it, and I'm gonna get it right on my butt!

+10 stylepoints if you get the reference.

Lots of awesome tatoo's around here, but I wouldn't get one myself. If I did, it'd be something small and simple.

That UV-tattoo looks somehow cool :cool: Imagine that over the whole body. In a diso. Naked... :rolleyes:
I wouldn't get myself a tattoo, though...yeah, I'm:baby: But there are really some pieces of art among the things you guys posted!

I don't have the face for an earring, and unfortunately, my real life personality does not suit a tatoo. :(

Any one else have any tats? You guys have some pretty awesome designs. :yes:

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High