About charged boltress (long)

The Lich King

Jan 1, 2009
www.youtube.com
About charged boltress (long)

Right, I hope u have time to read this :coffee:

Ok, I pretty much got the wealth to make an infinity wielding CB sorc, but I'm really struggling in choosing the setup of gear. I have 3 options, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts about them.

All setups have the following items in common

Griffon's
Infinity Scythe
Arachnid Mesh
2x SoJ

[highlight]Setup 1:[/highlight]

Amu: +2 Sorc/18 FCR ++
Armor: CoH Dusk
Gloves: Frostburns
Boots: Sandstorm Treks

Pros:

- 75 Poison res
- Positive res (somewhat useless on 95% ES)
- High mana pool from Frosties
- 20 FHR
- +20 STR (CoH) +15 VIT (Treks)

Cons:

- Doesn't reach 105 FCR (only 63)
- Can't put a RBF in armor
- Needs 2 sorc/18 FCR amulet, possibly losing some other goods mods from amulet

[highlight]Setup 2:[/highlight]

Amu: +2 Sorc/life/mana/poison length reduce
Armor: +3 CB Ormus' Robes
Gloves: Frostburns
Boots: FRW/FHR/Poison res

Pros:

- High mana pool from Frosties
- Highest damage
- Can put a RBF in armor
- Can have great mods from amulet

Cons:

- Negative res
- Low FHR
- Doesn't reach 105 FCR (only 63)
- Low poison res (possibly negative)

[highlight]Setup 3:[/highlight]

Amu: 2 sorc / 10 FCR ++
Armor: Vipermagi
Gloves: Magefist
Boots: FRW/FHR/Poison Res

Pros:

- Reaches 105 FCR breakpoint
- Can get 75 poison res
- MDR
- Can put a RBF in armor

Cons:

- Less mana since no Frosties
- Less +skills
- Low FHR

* In all builds FHR can be gained from charms though

----

So what do you think? Since the build is based on no block and ES, does reaching 105 FCR compensate for the loss of mana from Frostburns (around 500 mana)?

Last edited:
Re: About charged boltress (long)

Im making a CB/Firwall sorc myself. From what i have learned, FCR > raw damage. Id use the Vipermagi myself. Sorcs wielding Infinity really limits gear options taking the all important sheild out of the equation. This being the main reason i decided to hold off on making a Nova sorc. The short of it. Go for FCR, the infitiy will make up for any loss in dmage easily.

105 fcr is to good to pass on it. with mediocre charms i have 3k mana (i went all energy route)

fhr is important in 2 conditions. enemy hits you and deals 1/12th of your life, or stun attacks.

The viper build is the best, i've tried them all..

I also have near 3k mana and not even using mana sc's yet..
Go for fhr in the boots an possible on ur skillers..

Thanks for input, I also decided to go for the Viper build simply because it's the best overall setup I can think of, and I just like speed. Personally I decided to ditch prebuff because it's just so clumsy. Now I'm trying to find a War Staff with 3 ES + 1 Chilling Armor to make CTA into.

After doing some calculations 3/20 RBF circlet seems to be better than Griffon by ~4k damage. It would also allow more points into warmth/TS... but Griffon does a bit better against immunes (~few thousand damage also). Then again with Griffon your amulet doesn't need 15 FCR so you can get an extra affix like poison res, life, mana etc...

Last edited:

where did you get 4 k damage difference on charged bolt?

where did you get 4 k damage difference on charged bolt?

I'm talking about combined 24 bolts obviously. I've been running the numbers for a while now, and it seems that going for 105 FCR/griff gives about 10k dmg difference per second compared to 63 FCR with ormus/griff.

3/20 setup does more dmg than griffon in both setups except against immunes and possibly other players. Then again griff setup might get a small head start in dmg because it takes a second for the conviction to kick in, allowing griffon setups to deal more dmg with the first wave of bolts since your equip has more -res.

The ormus setup isn't all that bad tbh, considering you get ~500 mana from frostburns. Since both 63 FCR and 105 FCR deal ~100k dmg per second against -100 res monster (considering all bolts hit), a 10k difference isn't really that big.

But griffon has -res..

Which is not displayed on ur dmg screen..

I find it hard to believe that +3 skills and +15% DMG has more power than the -res griff offers.. -res is far more effective than +% dmg on light sorcs..

Except you are forgetting you get

-85 res from inf
-55 res from inf

= 140

That's enough to lower most of the monster in game to -100 res. Adding in the 3/20/2 circlet + RBF in armor you get -155 res.

With Griff you get 170, but all that -res is wasted because res can't go below -100... so it's only better vs immunes and high light res monsters, but worse against anything ~60-70 light res monsters. I do all my math with calculator, not in game with LCS. It's hardly surprising considering +skills raise the base dmg of CB, also the mastery. Add to that the fact you shoot 24 bolts and all that dmg is doubled in most cases.

Last edited:

There are a lot of 50+ light res monsters..

And it will be very handy pvp against stackers...

First off, Vipermagi is best, but you seem to have concluded that allready =)

Secondly, (this is a bit of "Borje should have drank some more beers with his friend insted of going home, though he's still a bit drunk"-craptalk so you could skip this paragraph for the last one if you are in a hurry or something :jig:) my experience with Light Sorcs are that the bigest problem is broken immunities (surprise! :crazyeyes:) which allways leads me to want to maximize my damage against them. Allthough that has not been on a Infinity wielding sorc but still.. Even thought he -(45 to 55) elr is huge and sums up to more than my sorc had in total I still think I would have gone with griffons. This is purely because prefer to slice through all enemies about as fast and not getting stuck at any particular monster types frequently.

Basically whatever the monster type the broken LIs are going to take the most of your time so aim to maaximize damage against them - that's my call!

Cheers!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High