Slows target--does it stack?

schnelltot

Jun 28, 2008
Slows target--does it stack?

Does the "slows target by X%" property stack? Like, will a weapon with 25% slow and a helm with 20% slow equal 45% total slow effect? Or does only the higher of the two function?

Re: Slows target--does it stack?

They stack, but there's a cap to slow %...I think its 75% for normal mobs and 50% for bosses? or 25% for bosses? Something, but there's a max :)

I have a slowabowazon :) blackhorns, nos, cleglaw gloves, 55% total STB

One thing to watch out for is that "slows by xxx" can be reset by a lower level, if there are multiple applications of it from different targets. That is, suppose a character or a merc hits Baal with a Kelpie Snare, which has "slows by 75%." The slow effect to 25% speed will generally last a pretty long time. But if a character then hits Baal while equipped with Arachnid Mesh, which has "slows by 10%", then that will apply, and Baal will change from moving at 25% speed to 90% speed. It's kind of like a lower level BO overwriting a higher level one.

Another thing to mention just as an oddity: in 1.07, Kelpie Snare has listed "slows target by 100%" which does not freeze targets, so there is apparently some cap. The additional slow beyond 100% could potentially still be useful to extra fast or Fanatic targets, though, depending upon how things are checked.

I think slows by X% works as negative IAS, so 100% slow wouldn't freeze a target, but only cause to use twice as many frames per action.

I think slows by X% works as negative IAS, so 100% slow wouldn't freeze a target, but only cause to use twice as many frames per action.
I don't think it works like that, but I'm sure that there are people who understand the mechanics better than I do. I think there is a lower bound on both walking/running speed and on monster attack rates. Additional slowing effects which would bring those below the minimums are ignored. But for monsters that already have an increase in speed (from Extra Fast, Fanatacism, etc.) the additional slow is effective. At least, that's how I think it works.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High