Best Fury/Rabies Weapon?

Everett

Dec 25, 2008
Best Fury/Rabies Weapon?

Just read the pvp guide and had a few questions. If you go the two-handed way, does the loss in dr from stormshield have a negative impact when you are dueling other melee characters? Or do you do so much damage that the duels are over fairly quickly? Based on the answer to that question, I haven't decided which way to go, but I have both an upped shaeled ribby and a grief. Are these acceptable for a fury/rabies wolf, or are there better choices out there such as an eth tomb or a ebotd great poleaxe? Also, which of the weapons in the guide does the most fury damage? (just wondering)

Re: Best Fury/Rabies Weapon?

You don't go two-handed in melee. It doesn't matter if you have max dr, you will die.

Also, Ribcracker is crap in pvp. Grief pb is a good 1-handed weapon, but as far as two-handers go eth tomb is the best, except maybe for some totally insane eth rare great pole or something, but you won't find anything better than eth tomb.

I'm not sure which weapons are listed in the guide but of the ones you mention botd gpa has the highest avg damage.

If you ask me, the best weapons are eth tomb + botd ba or eth tomb + grief pb.

Just read the pvp guide and had a few questions. If you go the two-handed way, does the loss in dr from stormshield have a negative impact when you are dueling other melee characters?

Yes. Going into a melee duel with little to no DR and no block is suicide.

Or do you do so much damage that the duels are over fairly quickly?

can't damage anyone when you're dead

Based on the answer to that question, I haven't decided which way to go, but I have both an upped shaeled ribby and a grief. Are these acceptable for a fury/rabies wolf, or are there better choices out there such as an eth tomb or a ebotd great poleaxe? Also, which of the weapons in the guide does the most fury damage? (just wondering)

ribby is a pvm weapon only. id keep it if you ever pvm cause its a sick weapon.

Greif is #1 for any melee character and it probably is for a fury rabies wolf too. You can make a solid claim for ebotdz though. It has better range (3) which helps with inflicting rabies.

eth tomb or ebotdgpa are both solid. ebotdgpa has better damage and range, etomb is much harder to get, has less range but a crap load of res. since you'd only really use two hander against casters the etomb is usually more useful.

I think that I'm going to go with the ebotdgpa due to the fact that etomb is incredibly expensive. I'll probably go with the grief pb due to the -poison res for the rabies. Or is that not calculated in the rabies damage? Also, how are steelrends for fury/rabies? Or is the damage negligible and you lose the major fhr from bloodfists? Are there any major advantages/disadvantages to using gores over aldurs? I've never built one before and I was wondering about whether the increase in damage was worth the loss in life, fire res, and frw. Also, I know that oak gives the awesome life bonus, but how is a maxed how with this build? Does the increase in damage make up for the loss in life? Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

I think that I'm going to go with the ebotdgpa due to the fact that etomb is incredibly expensive. I'll probably go with the grief pb due to the -poison res for the rabies. Or is that not calculated in the rabies damage? Also, how are steelrends for fury/rabies? Or is the damage negligible and you lose the major fhr from bloodfists? Are there any major advantages/disadvantages to using gores over aldurs? I've never built one before and I was wondering about whether the increase in damage was worth the loss in life, fire res, and frw. Also, I know that oak gives the awesome life bonus, but how is a maxed how with this build? Does the increase in damage make up for the loss in life? Thanks for the feedback.

Before you decide on the botd gpa, ponder this: It will give you a 5 frame fury as opposed to 4 frames with tomb. Now, that is quite a big loss in speed. However, if you still want the range 5 of the gpa, there is the option of a robo gpa with 5*40/15 ias jewels and a zod. Its damage is quite a bit lower than tomb, but it has the 4 frame fury aswell as range 5, and thus is very good for biting with rabies. I still say tomb is the best though, so I suggest you try and get one.

As far as grief pb goes, you'll use a poison switch I presume, which means the -res on grief won't help you. Mind you, it's still the highest physical damage 5 frame weapon there is, and still a good weapon choice. I like botd ba though, since it can help me save stat points. Some people I know like to keep them both in their stash to switch between them depending on opponent, but I don't have room for that personally.

Steelrends aren't great. They add a bit of damage, but it's not worth the loss in life and fhr from bloodfist if you ask me. Maybe they could be good in some duels, but I wouldn't bother since wolves already have a tough time getting room for everything in their stash. Gores however, are better, but most of the time you're gonna want to use aldurs. Use gores vs hammerdins, in pure melee duels and maybe vs windies, in other cases I think I would always use aldurs over them.

Don't get max how instead of oak. The damage bonus will be low since your big damage comes from massive %ed from fury, and the bonus from how will just stack onto that. I like to have 1 point in how though, so that I can summon it when I'm so low on life that oak won't help me anyway.

When I was looking at the ebotdgpa, I saw the high damage and range 5 and it looked pretty good. It's also way more affordable than the etomb. Now, I've mostly played pvm, so I never really paid attention to attack speed breakpoints, but is 5 frame really that different from 4 frame? I mean, I will certainly try to get an etomb, but if I have to go with the ebotdgpa, would it really be so bad?

On the topic of the one handed set-up, how would using an ebotd ba help you with stat points? If your trying to not put so much in dex, don't you still need that dex for max block with stormshield? Or are you statting around the ba? That doesn't sound possible though, when you are switching weapons or just general gear. And I also love the grief with it's high damage. I wish that it showed on the lcs. So it kind of sounded like you were leaning toward the ba, but are they essentially equal in terms of fury pvp? Thanks for all the help guys.

Edit: Also just wondering, how much does a ss gc with like 20-45 life cost? I can get some normal gcs for about lem-pul but it sounds like the ones with life are a lot better. I'm on useast ladder btw.

When I was looking at the ebotdgpa, I saw the high damage and range 5 and it looked pretty good. It's also way more affordable than the etomb. Now, I've mostly played pvm, so I never really paid attention to attack speed breakpoints, but is 5 frame really that different from 4 frame? I mean, I will certainly try to get an etomb, but if I have to go with the ebotdgpa, would it really be so bad?

On the topic of the one handed set-up, how would using an ebotd ba help you with stat points? If your trying to not put so much in dex, don't you still need that dex for max block with stormshield? Or are you statting around the ba? That doesn't sound possible though, when you are switching weapons or just general gear. And I also love the grief with it's high damage. I wish that it showed on the lcs. So it kind of sounded like you were leaning toward the ba, but are they essentially equal in terms of fury pvp? Thanks for all the help guys.

Edit: Also just wondering, how much does a ss gc with like 20-45 life cost? I can get some normal gcs for about lem-pul but it sounds like the ones with life are a lot better. I'm on useast ladder btw.

There's quite a big difference between 4 and 5 frames yeah... I have never used a botd gpa on a wolf, but I guess it would work...

About saving stats with botd ba, uhm, my gear switches are very complicated. However, I always use botd ba as my 1-hander which means I can save 30 dex, and when I need to use tomb I either use enigma or a mass str mass life blood craft ring which means the botd lets me save as much str as there is on my blood ring + 1 since tomb has 1 lower str req than stormshield (155 instead of 156). Botd also has range 3, which is great for biting barbs and smiters, and also catching bowazons. The only duel I would really want a grief instead is in a pure melee duel vs other wolves, zealots, etc.

Yeah, your gear switch sounds pretty complicated. I guess you have to have specific items if you want to do that like your ring. I also don't want to have to use enigma to eqiup a different setup. So I guess that I'll try to get the etomb, it sounds like the best choice. Still undecided about the one handed setup though, I'll have to think about that. Another question. Is this build basically a fury wolf who also happens to use rabies? Or can you concentrate on a certain skill to make it your main attack? I mean if you go with the trang gloves, and maybe bramble, aren't you losing a lot of other great mods from bloodfists and fort? The way I thought about making it was a fury-based wolf that used rabies as a second attack. I would max rabies and creeper, and then let my skillers and +skill items bring up the poison damage. How is the damage with this set up? Or should I go with the trang gloves due to the low rabies output? Thanks for the replies.

Also, any word on how much those life skillers would cost?

Yeah, your gear switch sounds pretty complicated. I guess you have to have specific items if you want to do that like your ring. I also don't want to have to use enigma to eqiup a different setup. So I guess that I'll try to get the etomb, it sounds like the best choice. Still undecided about the one handed setup though, I'll have to think about that. Another question. Is this build basically a fury wolf who also happens to use rabies? Or can you concentrate on a certain skill to make it your main attack? I mean if you go with the trang gloves, and maybe bramble, aren't you losing a lot of other great mods from bloodfists and fort? The way I thought about making it was a fury-based wolf that used rabies as a second attack. I would max rabies and creeper, and then let my skillers and +skill items bring up the poison damage. How is the damage with this set up? Or should I go with the trang gloves due to the low rabies output? Thanks for the replies.

Also, any word on how much those life skillers would cost?

Uh... Basically, on my wolf, I have bramble, fort, enigma, trang gloves, bloodfist etc. and I just change between them depending on which opponent I'm up against. Sometimes I want higher rabies damage, sometimes higher fury damage, sometimes high frw, sometimes high resists etc. etc.

And I don't play useast ladder so I can't tell you about price of skillers, sorry.

Yeah I was only thinking about the fury gear. Which characters do you have higher rabies/higher fury against? Also, do you use frw scs, or is the frw from aldurs and switching to enigma enough to catch zons and sorcs? Do you still have your wolf? If so, can you take some screenshots of its fury damage with the etomb and ebotdba and rabies damage with switch? If you could that would be great. Thanks.

2 cents

To me it sounds like your building on a budget. Which is fine of course. The 2 weapons you have right now will do all right, ebotdgpa, and the greif phase blade. Plz understand I did not read all of the posts. If you end up liking this build for general pvp. I would suggest, going out and getting every item needed. But for now just don't expect to win every duel you come across. I too used greif phase blade but I found that using a range 3 weapons when fighting wirlwind, alot wiser of a move. I used a eth zodded horizons tornado at the time, Loves it. It would have been easyer to use a ebotd zerker tho.

I guess that I'm on a budget. But I think that I'm actually just trying to think of weapons to use while I spend a considerable amount of time trying to find a 3os etomb. I wouldn't say that I'm poor or rich, it's just going to take me awhile to find all of the optimum gear that was suggested. I'm probably going to end up using a ebotd ba and an etomb, it's just going to take awhile to get them, and I don't want to wait to make the character until I find them. I want to build this wolf now, and I think that I'll play with the grief/whatever twohander I can get until I get the other weapons. Thanks for the input about how important the range is, I never really thought about it that seriously. So you think that the range of the wep for onehanded is more important in some duels than the damage? I mean grief does more damage, but I guess if it can't reach then it does me no good. Should I get both, and then switch out depending on who I'm dueling? Does anyone have any suggestions as to when to go for higher fury damage as opposed to higher rabies damage in certain duels? Still looking for a price for those ss gc lifers if anyone knows, don't want to overpay if I'm going to get an etomb.

Look for the ebotd gpa first.
1. Just find a eth gpa, they are not tooo hard to find. I made most of mine my self.
2. Have the lower runes on hand. Get them or find them.
3. Do the soct quest for the eth gpa.
4.Then just trade for the zod and vex. As in have everything ready to make when you go trading for the zod and vex. That way you can make the weapon in that game. So if the high runes are dupped then your going to be good to go. What armors/armor are you rolling with?

Thanks for the good advice regarding the duped runes, that's a good idea. I'll try to make that asap. You said that you found the egpa's often, do you do cows for the sockets or something like that? As for armor, all I have now is coh from my pvm fury, but I can easily make my own fort, all I need is a suitable archon plate. As for bramble, I can probably make it, take a little bit longer, and I'll just hope for a good roll on the first try. Do you have any answers to the other questions I asked about the advantages/disadvantages with range and damage? Which was better the superior speed of grief or the range of ebotdz, or just use both depending on the duel? When to use higher rabies damage/higher fury damage depending on who I'm dueling? Thanks for the ideas.

My current fury wolf on this ladder season has a very high 3socket etomb, and a darn near perfect cerebus (120/+4/137). I only traded a pul+lem for the etomb. I am guessing the guy saw it was eth and assumed it was trash. I spent much more of my resources on getting the high ed/ias jewels and the zod for it. One note, though, I had to make considerable life cuts in order to still achieve 86% fhr, and 75% resist all, and still be able to get that etomb equiped without Jalal's. I am barely 3500 life shifted, and barely 5000 with my sage (no cta yet). I will say it is a strong pvp versus casters (even dins). It always ends up in a 3-4 on one situation, where I run and hide in the den of evil, and pick them off at the doorway. I am 3k-11k damage, and about 14k when my might merc kicks in. In pvm parties with many good auras I have seen over 22k displayed so far.

I can only sit and shake my head over you paying only pul+lem for a 3soc etomb. How much do you think that it would cost if I was buying from someone who knew what it was worth? I'm not sure why you have to sacrifice life to reach the 86 fhr. 30 from jalals, 30 from bloodfists, 17/24 from blood crafted belt and a small 5 fhr charm or two. Of course when you are using cerebus, (against melee?) you lose the 30 from jalals. But don't you usually use jalals against almost everyone except very high defense characters? Doesn't angelics take care of most of your ar problems against these characters? You only mentioned that it was strong against casters, how does it fare against pure melee? Not sure what you meant by the 3-4 thing, and hiding in the den. Also, any advice with when to use higher rabies damage as opposed to higher fury damage in different duels? Thanks.

Edit: That damage you said was with the etomb? What one-handed weapon do you use/prefer, grief pb or edotdz? Why?

Weapon discussions have been beaten to death. Search EbotD v. Grief. The main difference is:

EbotD:

Higher max damage
Range 3

Grief:

More Consistent damage
DS

Both hit the same Fury BP of 9/5.

Yeah I was only thinking about the fury gear. Which characters do you have higher rabies/higher fury against? Also, do you use frw scs, or is the frw from aldurs and switching to enigma enough to catch zons and sorcs? Do you still have your wolf? If so, can you take some screenshots of its fury damage with the etomb and ebotdba and rabies damage with switch? If you could that would be great. Thanks.

Higher rabies vs barbs, ww sins, smiters, wind druids, es sosos (don't use bramble vs them though, enigma is alot better, they have low life anyway, so you don't need that high rabies).

Higher fury vs hammerins, javazons and in pure melee duels.

Vs most others I use enigma with bloodfist and fury.

I do use 10*5% frw scs with resists. With them I can get up to 173% frw in total, which I feel is a good amount. My remade wolf will also have harmony in stash hopefully, if I have room. You could get by with less frw though probably, but I wouldn't go under 150 vs teleporters and bowazons. You're ladder though, so you can get max 3% frw on each sc, but it should be fine if you use frw scs, enigma, aldurs, a 30 frw circlet, and maybe a ~5-10 frw craft amu (they can be very good but also hard to get).

I still have my wolf, but I'm preparing for a remake at the moment, so he's not 100% equipped, but nearly. Vs hammerdins I have 14k fury with tomb and 50% deadly strike. With botd ba I'm not sure because I'm in the process of getting a new one at the moment. Rabies damage on switch is 57k with -75% res.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High