Funny scammer

DoomBoy

Aug 15, 2007
www.google.com
Funny scammer

I was browsing through the online games when a 'free4u' game pops out. I was like, "cool, a 'free 4 u' hell game!" Clicked on the game. There was a lvl 76 paladin in there.

He says, "do you want free?"
I replied, "yes"

76: come to g3/34
me: ok

at the g3/34 game:

76: you are in luck! I am quitting and giving away all my stuff...blah blah 2 accounts...blah blah...

So this guy asks me for my email. I ask him why and he replies with "I will send you a screenshot...blah blah...you can choose which account you want"

I tell him, "won't it be easier if you just gave me the account name and password right here if you're quitting?"

He gets irritated at this.

76: do you want my free account or not?
me: sure

and being curious, I make a new email to see if he really will send me anything.

me: I still don't see anything
76: I need to spend some time with my wifey. I'll just give away the accounts on a public channel instead. (leaves)

at the end of 20 minutes, nothing at all. Just a waste of valuable playing time.

/whereis *<scammer>

<scammer> is in a private game.

5 minutes later

/whereis *<scammer>

<scammer> is in a private game.

just for kicks, I did the tracker again a few minutes later. He was still online (probably scamming someone else)

/w *<scammer> hi. thanks for wasting my 20 minutes. I thought you were spending time with your wifey.

I just don't understand these people...

Re: Funny scammer

Sounds like a pretty good scam to me. The guy successfully stole a couple minutes of your time.

man, I got scammed!
I thought you just lost 20 minutes of time when messing around with that crap. Being scammed means that he robbed you with a trick, not just trying it.

76: do you want my free account or not?
me: sure

and being curious, I make a new email to see if he really will send me anything.

me: I still don't see anything

I don't understand what happened here, however. Did he send you an email ? If yes, what did it contain and what did you do with it ?

Krischan, if you read post #2, post #3 will be perfectly clear! :wink:

I don't get what he tried to do, though...

I got TT's posting pretty well, but I thought that Doomboy didn't get his point, so it was posting #3 which I misunderstood :smug:

Here's my best guess. He probably has some way, or believes he has some way, of getting into e-mail addresses. He asked for the e-mail address hoping that you also registered your DII accounts under that e-mail address.

He requests a password recovery, then goes into the e-mail address to see what the password is. Uses it, and then hops on and takes your items at his leisure. That's my best guess. The only other option is that he was simply trying to waste your time, in which case, you gave him exactly what he wanted.

I thought about that as well, but I doubt that it's easy to hack mail servers. Perhaps he tries to scam the provider of email servers themselves, by presenting a story about having lost the password for email receipt or whatever. Maybe one of the big email providers is a bit careless with respect to that.

It's a good idea to create a separate email address for bnet accounts, not to be used for anything else and in particular, not to be told to anybody else.

Or maybe he tried to send a "screenshot" named screenshot.jpg.exe

Thats why I use [email protected] for all my Battle.net related needs. My password is so complicated, no one will crack it. It's like 1234567890 backwardz man!

Thats why I use [email protected] for all my Battle.net related needs. My password is so complicated, no one will crack it. It's like 1234567890 backwardz man!

Hmm, that's a few interesting emails you've received there....

Well it's more clever than those who offers hacks and tell you to write something like /turn on blablablablabla/your account name/your password.

Have you ever thought that he was playing Diablo with his wife?

I've heard something about viruses that infect you by just simply opening an E-Mail, but I won't believe that untill it happens to me.

I met a funny scammer tonight.

Game: Offer griffon need 2 ist

His pitch: I need runes on this char. Give me 2 ist first and I join with griffon char after. :D

I met a funny scammer tonight.

Game: Offer griffon need 2 ist

His pitch: I need runes on this char. Give me 2 ist first and I join with griffon char after. :D

could've said

"Listen, I don't have Ists on this char so come to game xxx/xxx and bring griffon, you give it to me and i help you xfer Ists"

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High