Pro or Master - Which are you?

Pismeyer

Aug 11, 2008
www.fbopool.com
Pro or Master - Which are you?

The Arreat Summit - Items Magic Find

I've read the above page more times than I can remember. I had a Sorc once that had around 550%ish on her. That was my tops I achieved and was still able to bring down Meph easily in Hell, but is was back in the day when the 1.10 patch first came out. She found quite a alot of Exceptional Unique's, Charms, Jewels, etc. I was a "fat cat" and loved it everytime I went MF'ing with her.

I have a good lvl 91 H'din MF character I play quite regularly now, and at last count he has about the same amount of MF on him while still being able to kill adequately. I have no complaints about him, I have juiced him up with other gear for pure speed killing (ie. Friend rush, or when close to leveling) but always have his MF gear in the stash for runs.

The last to categories on The Summit page almost seem impossible to reach however, I'm sure there are a few players out there that are in the Professional and Master Magic Find category.

600% - Magic Find Professional
700-1167+% - Magic Find Master

So, I'd like to know if your drops are cluttered with Blues, Yellows, Browns, etc.. everytime you kill your favorite boss?

Have you ever tossed or not picked up a Good Unique item because you already have to many of them, or not enough room? Lazy? Or didn't know the value?

P

Re: Pro or Master - Which are you?

My top mf char had something like 650 - 700 mf, but I haven't reached higher. Don't like barbs, that's why :d

I used to grail in SP using ATMA and would only keep the best 5 items of each gold or green unless it was an exceptionally valuable or useful item. Online I only keep what's useful and sell everything else.

Neither

I run with only 200-300 MF. It does the job well enough. I never saw the point in going so high with MF, and I take the safety and kill speed over more pointless MF anyday. Especially in HC.

As for not picking up tossing, depends on the item. Something like Mages or Frostburns, usually gets left behind. Griff or CoA however, gets stashed asap.

When u're a pro, you dont need to do magic find...lol

i made the bulk of my e-wealth by doing Nihlathak runs with 0% MF during ladder season three.

at the time, there were oodles of duped runes around, but a distinct lack of quality shells to socket them into. high-end socky gear could command fabulous prices.

so i have to LOL at this entire thread really.

The end of that page on the arreat summit is a joke (though maybe not intentional). If you have 1167 mf you will be killing very slowly and the character will be lousy for mf. Would such a character even be able to survive multiple runs in hell?

The most mf I have ever had on a character is ~350 on my current meteorb. She doesn't have a gheed's, and I could socket a topaz in her armor and an ist in her wand, but that would only add about 4% more uniques than she gets now. Really, there isn't much that I could do (aside from mf charms) to improve her overall mfing ability. Sure, I can make her mf total bigger, but that doesn't always translate into more good drops.

BTW, going from 250 mf to 350 mf increases the chance that a drop is unique by....9%. So, I could only justify it if my kill speed suffered less than 8.25%. 1/(1.09)~0.9174.

my top mf character had about 700ish mf on her and I mostly get blue or rares with the occasional unique every 5 runs. More on uniques if I concentrated on just Andy and Meph.

If I look at just at Meph alone, he has given me more blues than uniques...but he usually drops pretty good stuff if you keep at it...

Have you ever tossed or not picked up a Good Unique item because you already have to many of them, or not enough room? Lazy? Or didn't know the value?

I pick up every rare weapon, every magic elite weapon and most most armor. There set/uniques that I recognize, and I don't pick up ones that I have 2 or 3 of already unless it is a particularly good item anyway. I'm on SP, so storage isn't an issue for me.

My Frenzy Barb with dual 6x Isted PBs had a little over 800 MF. I made way more wealth from my Fire Sorc who had roughly 200 MF than the Barb.

commas would've done the trick, regardless, I don't take part in the whole MF'ing thing by now. By the time I find something nice I'll be done with my character, and the practice with it throughout the game will let me wipe through it no problem with only yellow, occasionally unique items, with a low runeword or two.

I only ran with 350 magic find or less so I guess I'm a newbie.
Things I would pick up would be blue circlets, barb hats, pelts and greater talons and runic talons and ceremonial and matriarchal javelins. Perhaps other blues if I was looking to craft.
Yellows I would grab barb hats, pelts, rings, amulets, boots, gloves and circlets. I would pick up weapons too, but I would normally chuck them back on the ground if they weren't ethereal.
I would pick up any elite gray just to see if it was ethereal or had a proper amount of sockets. Ethereal five socket flails as well, my own preference.
I will admit I usually kept all uniques that dropped long enough to id them because I had a thing for perfect uniques, even if they were lame ones.
What do I keep now? My sanity by staying away from bnet.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High