MFO Question for possible participants

Prizes or no prizes, that is the question.

• Keep things as they are (winner takes items)

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • No prizes for winners

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Winners get trophies from host

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

Mursilis

Aug 2, 2005
MFO Question for possible participants

I've already read the thread asking what happened, this is more a question for those who would participate about a slight alteration to the ruleset for whoever ends up hosting it.

Currently winner takes items, but there has been some discussion lately that this is scaring some possible participants away. Also with all the different status out there (RWM, RRM, CRM, Vanilla, 1.11, 1.07...etc) that taking items is tough to begin with. Perhaps it is time to remove that part of the MFO?

To that end I wanted to start this poll to see where everyone else stood on the issue. Personally if removing that clause of the tournament means more people will join, then I'm all for doing so. The more the merrier and all that.

I'm willing to host the MFO this time around, unless someone else was dying to do so, but wanted to clarify this one point first. So please, share your thoughts.

Re: MFO Question for possible participants

My vote would be no items taken.

However if it's determined that we keep the winner(s) grabbing items, I think we should add a provision protecting an item.

I have no desire to participate in the MFO this time around due to the untwinked septumvirate I'm working on now, however I would gladly host if the mods would prefer a non-participant to host. I was thinking about this idea after reading the thread you mentioned earlier and thought perhaps a neutral host would be better to avoid any mishaps. I don't know if this would really help resolve any issues since none of us know the details of the last MFO, but I thought it seemed like a nice idea.

mursils: MFO is long year tradicion and that competition was just many times here on SPF and tradicion say pick up items so you ought to respect it even for some peoples is not accaptably for person reasons
another host will be ready quickly I think but change MFO format will be huge error for me
I am waiting for MFo just quite one year from january 2008 MFO and I am satisfied that pick up items is a chalenge for me and that is my motivation to did more runs
without pick up will be another story

MFO is no MFO without the fear of loosing leet itamz. Period.

jjscud is the host who turned the MFO over to me. I have turned it back over to him, and anyone thinking of running it without him wieghing in first ... well, I'd ask you to respect tradition.

Thanks Drixx, I am actually in the position to host MFO's again. Earlier it seemed like a never ending thing, but with D3 announced I can see the light.

I'm also a big fan of tradition and am not interested in seeing the prize structure of the MFO change.

I would be for "item steal" with the provision of one item protection. I'd rather have a trophy though to remember my conquests.

Personally, I think that the item taking is outdated. Take a look at the last MFO. [highlight]NOT ONE ITEM WAS CLAIMED FROM ANYONE ELSE AS A PRIZE[/highlight] It seems to me that the forum has informally agreed that "item steal" isn't that great anyway.

There are some pretty good arguments for keeping things the way they are though.
1. Tradition
2. Possibility of winning and collecting loot motivates people to try harder
3. Implies that this is the "elite" SPF event of the year

I like tradition. But I don't think it's a good idea to be held prisoner to it. If there is a compelling reason to change something to make it better, might as well do it. Still, this one is highly subject to opinions and feelings.

The motivation factor is a double-edged sword. I've seen many comments where people have said they kept running because they weren't in the lead at mid-week. But was that because they were afraid of losing something or because they wanted to win? I'd guess that they wanted to win. On the other hand, how many possible participants decline to participate because they know they probably won't win and they don't want to lose an item? I'd rather see a very large field of people in the running. Anything that encourages forum participation is a good thing and I think that changing the prize structure in this tournament would also encourage more participation.

Over the past few years, I've seen the MFO as the "elite" magic finding event of the forum. One of the reasons is that to me it seems like you have to have reasonable wealth and time to have a decent shot at winning the tournament. Sure you could end up getting that lucky Stormlash from Mephisto but that doesn't guarantee that you'll win or keep your item safe if you don't have the time to get enough other stuff to pad your score. Maybe I'm off on this one but my perception is that the MFO is designed to help the rich get richer and thus, the event for the wealthy folks.

I play D2 for fun and I enjoy playing in the tournaments with other folks around here. It keeps me motivated. As someone who is trying to collect a self-found grail, MF runs are a must and it's much easier to do it as part of a group with some friendly competition. However, if I have the possibility that a new grailer can be taken, that's too much risk for me to participate. Still, it seems like the best event for me to do would be things like MFO or Pindlethon because it's a motivating magic-finding-fest.

:rant:Frankly, if the consensus is to keep everything the same, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I might even participate since I'm running CRM these days and if someone "took" an item, at least it would taint them to CRM and maybe we could get a little more purple rune love in the forum. :)

Then again, I might just start a thread for the Special Olympics which would be just like the regular Olympics without the prizes. It would be for people that want to participate in the runs but don't want to lose items. You see it every time where a few people say they're running concurrently with the official MFO but aren't participating because they're self-found or something. Well, in the Special Olympics, they could track their progress and have a more casual competition. /rant

Well that pretty much ends that poll doesn't it? :wink:

Why?

Although I respect jjscud and his contributions to the forum (including the MFO), why not see what other people think. Sure if he hosts the event he has final discretion of what the rules will be but that doesn't mean that if you disagree with something you can't discuss it in a civil manner.

Personally, I think that the item taking is outdated. Take a look at the last MFO. [highlight]NOT ONE ITEM WAS CLAIMED FROM ANYONE ELSE AS A PRIZE[/highlight] It seems to me that the forum has informally agreed that "item steal" isn't that great anyway.

Honestly I think that had more to do with some of the cirucmstances surrounding the last mfo than anything else. I know that a lot of people felt that the tournament should have just been cancelled. The blame for that seems to have been heaped on my lap, so I'll take it.

Hopefully it will go much better this time around, and jjscud has graciously come out of retirement to run it so it should be great. I'm looking forward to my first foray into the alvl85 areas :)

I agree with Ohomemgrande, I've ran several rules in different MFO's that I personally disagreed with but the majority were in favor of, I want to see how this plays out.

In a previous poll, pickings with a protected item was very popular.

Generally, I believe the winners usually have enough class to not grab the few high-end items the less-competitive runners find, save a few. It's tradition and I'm not trying to defend it because of that, but I like it the way it is ;)

I voted for trophies because I need to throw my selfish, item-hoarding opinion out there somewhere. However, I too believe in tradition. Since I'm always afraid of losing potential grailers, I have not yet participated in an MFO, so really my vote shouldn't count anyway. :D

I'd love to join; I had a blast in the recent Mepathlon and alvl85 tournies and was seriously excited to do a Pindlethon, too. I will say, though, that if item steal was to remain in the MFO I wouldn't join. I'd happily sit on the sidelines for this one and root everyone on because I can't be angry at tradition, but I would cry a bit on the inside 'cuz I was missing out on the fun. But changing the rules just so I can play (and it's always about me, right?) seems so wrong. I'm actually quite interested in seeing what jjscud decides in the end.

...and maybe I'd have the Special Olympics to join, anyway. I like cookies... and I often play D2 with a football helmet on as a precautionary measure. :banghead:

@TheRedMenace: gg :thumbup: but do not believe that you can beat me again in areas category :p

I would very much be in favor of adding a protected item to the current system. I understand people wanting to keep it the way it has been, but I have to admit that the thought of finding a Death's Fathom, the only item I truly care about finding right now, and then having to give it away gives me pause. Serious pause.

You can say that's part of the Olympics: you have to be willing to put everything on the line to win it all, and I wouldn't argue with you on that.

I think in the end it comes down to whether you (jjscud, as the host) want to stick with tradition and the way it has "always" been done, or change the face of what has been a prestigious event to something a bit more accessible to those who are less rich/less of a risk taker.

As I think about this a little more, me wanting to participate in the MFO but have an item protected seems a bit like wanting to play Russian Roulette, but requesting that the bullet be replaced with chocolate pudding. I think I'm in favor of the current system, since that lives up to the title the tournament has been given.

@TheRedMenace: gg :thumbup: but do not believe that you can beat me again in areas category :p

Nope, that would be my job if i can find some time.

Nope, that would be my job if i can find some time.

Probably you not forgot your deaths fantom in my stash yet :D

@mareek: in D2 are worse things than lose your best grailer :)

Why?

Although I respect jjscud and his contributions to the forum (including the MFO), why not see what other people think. Sure if he hosts the event he has final discretion of what the rules will be...

I simply assumed that since Jjscud is hosting now that the ruleset will stay as it is. Apparently a quick assumption on my part after reading following posts. Sorry for the quick conclusion jump. :dizzy:

Well,

Most (all?) of the other magic finding tournaments either have protected items or no item taking at all. The idea behind the MFO was to be the big knock down smash mouth mfo BRAWL, if you will. The whole point is the one tourny where the only way to protect your items is to win!

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High