Median XL released!

Re: Median XL released!

don't sell uniques just make arcane shards from them
by the way i'm in destruction by now still act 1

I've played a sorc by myself almost to Andy in Hatred level, and I MP'd a barb and necro nearly to Andy before giving up for the night a couple of days ago.

I've gotta say it's definitely tough when there are several monsters coming your way, but the way I look at it is I'm a MXL newb and still in the learning stages. Heck, when I first started D2 it was the same way and I died all the time, and there were plenty of build guides out for D2. Bottom line is I'm not going to rant about how hard it is—I'm gonna learn how to beat it instead.

That said, the SP players generally like challenges, so you might be sampling a group here that falls well outside the standard bell curve, Bro Laz. :wink2:

Eight months of testing and it comes down to a critical life-or-death dilemma one week after release... :(

I'm not sure if I'm the right person to suggest anything, since I'm firmly entrenched on one side of the argument. But how about just handing out a placebo for now, and delay the real decision for a few weeks?

Even if you turn all the enemies into harmless little dancing lights, some people will still complain that it's too difficult. That's the price you pay for change. Just like how a lot of M2008 patches spawned a few "it's the end of the world, as we know it to be" threads. In a few weeks they'll probably have the first batch of cookie cutters ready. Maybe one or two build guides will have matured to the point where they're usable by toddlers. Hopefully that'll help in separating the honest feedback from the "whaaa, it's different" reports.

I need help! :(

There is currently an EPIC WHINE ongoing on the MXL forum from people who say the mod is too hard and they get killed all the time. The bottom line: lulz, elites kill me dead in the first difficulty, nurf plz.

Now what? If I reduce the difficulty of Hatred, then the mod will be just another overpowered leet trash mod for cheaters like every other competitor out there. If I don't reduce the difficulty, I lose a lot of players I attracted with Median 2008.

Eight months of testing and it comes down to a critical life-or-death dilemma one week after release... :(

XL is an awesome piece of work Laz. Please don't nerf the difficulty.

I'm running a 44th level sorceress in Act 4. I dabbled with median 2008 and died ALOT. I think the big problem is that the play style is definitely different from regular LOD and marginally different from Median 2008. Pretty much everything people learned from LOD and Median 2008 doesn't quite work in the newest patch. That's the joy of it.

My sorc fell to the elites that rushed me at first, then I learned to hit with my lightning, run, hit with lightning again, etc. Eventually I won. The next batch was easier and I had no problems until Andy (that Armageddon style attack definitely woke me up! ;) ).

I don't think you'll lose that many users by leaving the difficulty alone. You should encourage them to adapt their play style to suit the challenge and not take the 'easy' way out.

By the end of Act 2, my shapeshift merc was already rolling with 2 runewords and had his armor, helm, and weapon amped with mystic orbs. Now he destroys everything, even the lightening immunes I struggle with. Again, it was a rough ride, but patience saw me through until I could outfit him properly.

Deaths and 'tough' enemies are part of the game. But there's no greater feeling than finally taking out that nasty pack or tough boss with skills and cubed items. Please don't change that.

So, 1.71 is out. Has anyone updated already, how's it feel, should I?

1.72 is out now
1.71 -> 1.72

- Very slightly reduced elite density
- Removed Annihilators
- Added Lurkers to the WSK
- Reduced damage of Living Flames
- Reduced lightning damage of Storm Shamans
- Reduced damage of Cogs and Warforged Shamans
- Reduced lightning damage of Laments
- Reduced lightning damage of Thunderbolts
- Swapped Ice Clan and Black Cats in Act 2 to remove the former from the AS

- Corrected low damage of Tran Athulua amazons on Destruction
- Increased safezone around stairs in Fauztinville

- Corrected Brambles description
- Increased necromancer minion run speed
- Limited max paladin resurrects
- Increased Abyss collision size
- Increased Pyroblast max damage

- Reduced naginata/warp blade splash damage from x1 to x3/4

- Icebird now procs Shackles of Ice instead of Frozen Crown

I released 1.80. Yes, another patch but if all goes well, it should be the last one. The number 1.80 (instead of 1.73) is symbolic.

The root cause for the patch storm is that my alpha testers were useless because they all used PlugY to twink their new characters to the gills so the early game never really got tested. Mind you, most of you didn't even notice anything wrong at all but I'm a perfectionist.

Btw how much damage does the bloodflame (think thats the name) molten boulder corpse spitting attack do? It one hits me everytime + the monster is invisible lol :crazyeyes: (not complaining).

Fireblood boulders do a few thousand fire damage - it is survivable, but just barely and you need a lot of fire resist. That's why you should really try to dodge it. :)

1) Why does it seem that Lemures doesn't seem to be doing nearly as much as Blood thorns? (I mean I know that bloodthorns has a ton of damaging blades, but shouldn't lemures do more damage on a single target if all 18 spirits hit?)

You get one spirit per target. The disadvantage of Blood Thorns is that it takes a bit of time to work - which seems to be such a crushing drawback that a lot of people use Lemures anyway...

2) How does Lemure actually work? Is it only 1 spirit per cast can hit a single monster? And what determines how many spirits are released?

It searches for targets in the area and emits one spirit per target, max limited by the skill.

3) Are Shadow Fiends usually maxed when going Unholy Melee?

Never! The reason is that - like all minion builds - you need +% minion life/resist/(damage, but less important) items, and I quote a lot of people: 'if I wanted to use minion items I would be playing a necro'! This is also why the amazon and sorceress minions are almost never used.

4) Is blood thorn considered a boss killer? (It seemed the case for Andariel, but not for some other monsters). Or should I max punisher as my single target killer instead?

Punisher is a very good idea, but remember that you can't cast it after Terror Strike. You can overpower things like the immunity shield totems in Kurast 3000 BA and the various single bosses or monster spawners with Blood Thorns as well, but unless your Blood Thorns does omginsane damage a boss killer speeds it up.

No need to max it unless you want to do every uberquest on /players 8 because you may find you overkill targets...

Managed to gamble The Jester Cap (2), which I was quite happy with, but the Random resistance thing seems like it might be a killer a some point.

It is a bit of a double edged sword, but higher tiers of the cap increase the max resist and reduce the chance of getting negative resists. A tier 6 version is quite powerful, if you can live with the 5% chance per second that you have no resists...

This evening I dl-ed your mod, mate, and I've got to say - I'm impressed. Battle.net will wait a while, must check this one out first!

Made a cold/fire sorceress blindlessly, but I'm doing fine - 40 lvl in act 4, getting my *** pwnd sometimes, getting it not - other. Is it only my sense, or are really the end-act bosses pretty much easier than these crowds of enormous waves of creeps ^^ When a gang of Moon lords shows, it's the end of all hope for me, pretty nice work with the mobs there!

I'll upgrade if there is a new version, and I'll leave a feedback too for sure :) don't give up the version just cause of whining, sometimes it's gotta be hard!

Cheers!

Never! The reason is that - like all minion builds - you need +% minion life/resist/(damage, but less important) items, and I quote a lot of people: 'if I wanted to use minion items I would be playing a necro'! This is also why the amazon and sorceress minions are almost never used.

Hmm, but they are in the game for a reason, yes?

What if I want to make an unholy fiendmaster/summoner? Are they "viable" at all? (not overpowered, just viable) How would that "build" look? It's kinda hard to see where to put points, as "small" summons are good at taking on crowds but not single targets, so you would want Punisher, but then the points seem to be scattered everywhere and nothing is synergied. :(

Any tips? (I checked the XL forums as well, couldn't find anything useful)

Is there any way to tell what patch is currently installed? I cannot see a 1.7x anywhere, I'm downloading 1.80 now.

1.80 is another update
i have downloaded this morning 1.72

Been playing 1.70 and 1.71 for a bit now. Since I have very little time to actually play, my first character just hit terror difficulty (think that's the nightmare equivalent), and I- unfortunately- have not been gettign the storm of unique drops that many others have seen. However, I did get a tier 3 Black Dame and enough uniques to make it tier 4, which was nice since my character is a bowdruid. I'm already planning how I'm going to remake him with some minions, since I'm almost all bowskills right now.

I'm probably going to wait for the next big patch to upgrade again. I had no major issues with the difficulty in the original release, and I don't feel the need to patch anymore for even more difficulty reduction. I'm in no hurries for a new patch- what I've seen so far is enough to keep me occupied for quite a while!

Great mod, Laz. Thanks for the insane amount of time and effort you've put into this project! I can hardly believe you pour so much into a project that doesn't even get you paid. Like everyone else, I'm hoping that your work gets noticed by a game development company, and you get picked up and put on the gravy train!

Like everyone else, I'm hoping that your work gets noticed by a game development company, and you get picked up and put on the gravy train!

I was once invited for a job at Flagship. I turned it down - thank god.

Is there any way to tell what patch is currently installed?

Yes: make new character (or use yours), look into your inventory at the trinket there, it tells you the version.

My cheesy summonmancer completed the last of the seven summoning uberquests yesterday. :jig:

Jhitan was quite a blast. Especially when there was so much stuff flying around that D2 decided to engage the cloaking field. Judgment day was also quite a thrill. If I feel crazy enough, I might try the bonus on that one. And I got quite lucky on the +2 random skill charms. One of them got +2 lamia on the second try, and another one got +2 void archon right away!

I'm starting to think about a second character, but I can't make up my mind about what I should try next. A melee barbarian, or a fire/cold/feedback sorceress, or a batstrike assasin, or... ;)

I havent played d2 for a while now, but this is really tempting me to play. Great work Laz

Thanks for the replies on the Unholy Melee Pally Laz.

I'm currently tearing my hair out at trying to get my class charm from Kurast 3k, and I'm only on hatred! Jeebus, it takes me forever and a day to kill that totem (no single target skill fails, excluding punisher which can't be used because i have to reserve the cast delay for holy armour to gap it after spamming lemures). Then, when i finally get to the area of the necro, I get cold skelly swarmed (they're the most movement debilitating, yet the ones who move around the most >.>) and can't kill fast enough, and so there goes another 15mins worth of effort down the drain. At this rate, I think I'm going to level above 50 just from the attempts at killing the skeletons :D

Anyone have any advice on this? Cheers

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High