Merc Questions

Xena1985

Aug 16, 2003
Merc Questions

I'd like to say my Cold Sorc is working out nicely :) I leveled from level 25-46-48 in 2 hours running that boss just north the frigid highlands waypoint at 8 players (normal). I then Teleported my way through NM all the way to act V just before rescuing Anya and now the trouble begins in the frozen river: Those Cold immune succubi are simply a nightmare they're nasty and ranged and simply pwn my defiance merc. He has crap gear at the moment. I'd like to ask whether it's more beneficial to equip him with

Weapon: Reapers or Insight ?? Is insight fast enough to kill things that are Cold immune?? I'm not having major mana issues at this point. The occasional potion is all I need every minute or two. I can even teleport at a reasonable rate. This is without a harley yet or + skills on the ammy which will raise warmth. I'm killing with maxed FO mostly and 10 raw points in CM. I know I'll probably have to switch to Ice Blast in hell for the raw damage and I know that will put more strain on my mana pool which is at 500 or so now maybe 600. With this in mind would it be wiser to get an insight ?? I've got both the runes and an elite pole to make it. I am using occulus and will have silkweaves for a +10 mana per kill will this be enough to teleport and use blizzard and Ice blast at level 35 or so with 1000-1200 mana ??

Armour: guardian angel for the max resists and defence (this is a defiance merc) or good ol shaft ??

Helm: Vamp Gaze or Kiras Guardian (along with GA to make sure he benefits from the max resists) Or would the rockstopper provide a nice balance between DR and and resists :scratchchin: I've got one with a good roll. I've mentioned kyra's mostly because it is a source OF CBF and Duriels isn't really the best way to get it IMHO since the Merc will hit 75% resists without it anyway and the small bit of health life are inconsequential

Right now he's using store bought crap so I'm not surprised he's getting owned by those damned succubi (I'm broke since I died a few times along the way and didn't really bother selling anything. between myself and my stash I've got 70k so I can't keep shelling out 30k to resurect the merc). I need to do something about this otherwise I can't progress to AT and LK in hell to do some MF'ing. Thx for any advice :)

Re: Merc Questions

Unless your merc is level75, Reapers isn't an option. Between the two, I'd pick the Insight for questing and the Reapers for when he actually gets to kill things on occasion (read: AT runs).

Shaft > GA, in this case - those Succubi attacks are physical damage. I usually quest with Shaftstop until at least the start of Hell, then consider swapping early on in Hell. Duress (resists, FHR, CB & OW) is one of my favourite merc armors once I get to that point.

I prefer VampGaze to the others, mainly because I usually have the resists on my armor and want/need leech from my helm.

Re: Merc Questions

So to summarize, Shaft + Insight + Gaze for now, and then swap in hell to etheral perhaps even upped GA, kira's and Reapers ?? I would go duress but I'm not really that rich, and as a matter of policy I outfit the merc with gear valued in pgems on the SPTF. I could splurge an um on him but it would leave a bad taste in my mouth :) I doubt I'll need a shaft later on though my might merc with no defense does fine with Duriel's Guillans and Reaper. He dies to IM, occasionally lister's pack, or Meph council members who happen to have a conviction aura. The defiance merc will have the defense advantage and I'll be freezing everything so he shouldn't be taking to many hits

I'll have to look into getting a gaze, he's using Tal's mask for now some yellow or even blue armour and some normal unique spear from diablo. I may have exagerated a bit saying his gear is store bought :) Funny how I have a 69 IIRC Kira's and yet no gaze. time to visit Meph for a bit.

Another thing how are mana issues for high level cold sorcs without insight ?? I doubt I'll reallyyyyy need it in hell but you never know once the + skills and FCR raise me mana expenditure/s through the roof. I could go dual SoJ but I shudder at the cost of obtaining another one

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High