Would You Pay to Play?

Isuldur

Jan 30, 2008
Would You Pay to Play?

What would you do if Blizzard decided to start charging a monthly fee to play online? Go SP, or just give it up altogether?

Re: Would You Pay to Play?

At this point it would be a completely asinine move on Blizzard's part to think that p2p would be a good financial model. The effects of a worldwide recession will soon be kicking in full scale, and if the US auto industry is allowed to fail then we could be facing a worldwide depression. So the question shouldn't be whether there will be pay to play, it should be whether Blizzard can remain afloat.

i doubt i'd pay to play D2. not unless there were some serious incentives to do so (properly policed hack free and some balance changes to improve it for pvp).

i'd certainly consider paying a modest monthly/annual fee for D3, assuming the game itself is a worthy successor to D2. but i'd want something for my money. i'd want regular content updates and balance fixes (fend bug?) along with solid anti-hack software.

if they expect me to pay a subscription for the kind of service we get for D2, forget it.

if they expect me to pay a subscription for the kind of service we get for D2, forget it.

heh, that's why they care about WoW more.

I'd move to single player, well, I'm already on single player so I don't really have nothing to say about this. I never thought that after 5 years of SP, when I switched to bnet, I'd ever come back to playing single.

Yep, I'd probably go SP as well. I pretty much play as SP anyway, but did set up my characters on bnet just in case I wanted to jump in to MP. I've been wondering if Blizzard is planning on charging a monthly fee for DIII, as I suspect they will. Those servers don't run for free, y'know.

What would you do if Blizzard decided to start charging a monthly fee to play online? Go SP, or just give it up altogether?

For D3 (assuming that I upgrade my comp so that it can run it): I already pay nearly $50 a month for internet service, so the fee would have to be pretty low to justify paying more money when my currently monthly expense already gives me as much entertainment as I can take in.

For D2: I already play SP.

Nah, it's an old game. They wouldn't do it anyway. It's an old game (but a good'un).

For D3, it depends. Maybe at first for a few months, but not long term.

Yep, I'd probably go SP as well. I pretty much play as SP anyway, but did set up my characters on bnet just in case I wanted to jump in to MP. I've been wondering if Blizzard is planning on charging a monthly fee for DIII, as I suspect they will. Those servers don't run for free, y'know.

I don't think they're planning it. they promised that bnet would always be free, so charging for it would be of an unexpected and abrupt reason where there is no other way to go.

If they start to charge fees on D2 now, I'll never touch D2 again.

If they charge D3, the CD-Keys and software should be free or lower prices.
Otherwise, I'll wait till they start some private servers like I do now with WOW and Lineage2 :)

Paying for playing d2 or d3? Might as well play Warhammer Online or go on xbox live :p

I won't play d3 if they charge a monthly fee for it

No thanks, everybody on bnet hacks, bot runs all over, and a messed up economy because of dupes. I sometimes wonder why I continue playing.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High