Light sorc can't hack it. ADVICE NEEDED!

TwentyMuleTeam

Nov 16, 2008
Light sorc can't hack it. ADVICE NEEDED!

I just made a pure light sorc to run places my blizz sorc cannot, such as nith, and lvl 85 areas. However, I can't seem to figure out why she gets dominated.

I use the SAME gear on both sorcs:
3 piece tals, shako, war travs, chancies, spirit monarch, occy, some fcr + res rings.

When fully equipped, stats are over 500 mf, almost all maxed resist, 1.2k(yes it's low I dont have CtA yet) life, minimal dex, base energy.

Both are built the same, 1 pt warmth, 1 pt tele tele, and main skill + synergies maxed. The ONLY relevent differences between the two builds are skill trees, and my blizz is lvl 85 while my light is lvl 80.

The thing that throws me through a loop is that my Blizz sorc can stand toe-to-toe with any boss until it dies, merc or not, can tele anywhere with no problems, basically, doesnt die, ever.
My light sorc cant even make it to nith without getting murdered by a random mob.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm about to give up on this char but dont want to because I got some dope gear for her, and want to make her my main mfer. Thanks for any advice!

Re: Light sorc can't hack it. ADVICE NEEDED!

500 mf for a light sorcerer is too much... FCR is mandatory for a light sorcerer, you can trade a few pices and put others with fcr (like griffon's), you will have less mf, but will do much more runs... its like 125 fcr mf hammer, fast and strong with enought mf

TBH, it is the fact that you are 80 vs 85.

The chance to hit formula takes into account char level, so running a level 85 area means that they can whack you alot better at 80, then 85. Taking more hits means possible death faster.

Agreed with the FCR too.

Another thing, is Nihla is alot more dangerous of a run, and the snakes can wtfpwn you if you dont know how to deal with them.

I'm guessing that you're getting killed by either the bugged vipers that do physical damage with their poison clouds, or Nihlathak's corpse explosions. For the vipers, get some damage reduction (integer, NOT percentile). For the corpse explosions, get Slain Monsters Rest in Peace somewhere, or something else to dispose of corpses before he can asplode them.

You're only at 105 FCR on your light sorc with the gear you listed (assuming perfect spirit) and that doesn't reach the second to last breakpoint for lightning and chain lightning.

Most likely your biggest problem with the light sorc is she doesn't do enough damage. With the gear you listed you have absolutely no -light res and don't reach the 117 FCR breakpoint as I mentioned earlier. Not to mention that you've only got +9 skills from gear, which can easily be higher and will grant much better damage. Your blizz sorc does a ton of damage AND reduces the enemy's res by a ton so she does even more damage. She can "stand toe to toe" with stuff because it dies quickly, most likely. And I don't know why you're toe to toe with monsters with a sorc built to cast, but that's neither here nor there.

You have to play different chars differently and normally equip them differently. Light sorcs can't touch a blizz sorc for how much mf they can carry and still be a powerhouse, but if you put the right stuff on them you can blow away anything not immune (or anything breakable if you can afford infinity) in seconds so you can even it out in the long term with more runs.

The difference in level makes a difference as well, but the biggest issue is a light sorc should be destroying everything in a couple of seconds and using the high FCR to stay mobile, not standing toe to toe with bosspacks and trying to slug it out.

It could also be that with blizzard you are slowing enemies down, which means they have reduced attack speed, meaning your being hit even less. Unless ofc you use a nm act 2 def merc on both sorcs :p

I use nm act2 merc on my light sorc.

The "toe-to-toe" was just an expression saying that it's a tougher sorc to kill than my light sorc, I don't actually do that. Unless it's Andy who dies in a whole 2 seconds.

I have better gear for my light sorc, 3/20 eschutas, 14/3 CL ormus, vipermagi for fcr, P kiras for resists, ect, but no griffins or infinity as of yet. So there are options for me to play with my gear a bit, hit the breakpoints, and see what happens. I didn't take most of that into consideration, so I'm going to go play around with her and level her a bit too. I got my blizz sorc strategies down, now I have to figure out my light sorc strategies.

Thanks everybody for your advice it really helped put light sorcs into perspective for me! :)

Sack up and level to 90. 105 FCR is FINE. Use act2 freeze merc, and if you really wanna start dominating, give him an infinity and fortitude eth.

Use nature's peace ring for nihl, and make sure you get the kills (either target nihl with light, or CL everything) before your merc does (so no CE).

If you dont get lvl 90 (max nova before light mastery for better damage at 90, then get 94 when you get around to it), you are going to lose 1/3 of your damage.

Also, 4 piece tals is > your setup simply due to the -15% target light res.

If you are dying too often, get an insight, put it on a prayer merc, and use energy shield (1 pt w/plus skills is fine).
If you are just doing key runs, dont bother with MF since it doesnt affect key drops. You may benefit from using frosties instead of chancies to give yourself more mana to use with ES

FCR is only part of the problem.

your massive investment in MF means less +skills, resists, less -ve enemy light resists, less -ve damage than what can be achieved. Get your killing rate and survivability rates up first and then focus on mf rates. 200 is all you need anyway, and you can get that from charms and shako easily.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High