Returning from 4 year hiatus

Thurston

Oct 21, 2008
Returning from 4 year hiatus

As you can see by the title, I haven't played D2 in quite awhile, and will be installing the minute I have the time.

My question is: Could I feasibly make my first character a WW barb with plans for IK? I've been reading the guides and whatnot, but I'm really just not into making a 'fishymancer' or 'meteorb' character, which both seem to be heavily advised.

I've also heard something about a thread on this site for new players getting a leg-up (items) from other people, but so far I haven't been able to find it. (I'm not a moocher, I just heard about it and I'll definatly use it to my advantage ;))

Anyway, thanks for any replies

Re: Returning from 4 year hiatus

Welcome back!

The problem with starting with an IK WW barb is that you will need some good equipment to make it. The IK Armor is probably worth about an Um (depending on realm). The reason why Necros and Sorcs are recommended is because they can start without proper equipment so you can gather wealth before you start characters such as WW barbs.

But if you really want to start with a WW barb that's possible if you accept playing with crap equipment for a while.

Don't know about the give-away thread.

Ahh, thanks for the reply. I figured as much. s'pose I'll rock up a necromancer to start

Ahh wb, I normally always go w/ a sorc for my first char. Teleport makes life easier when you need to mf, blizz dmg is ridiculous even w/o good gear. Can always do met/orb too. I have no idea about the free hand out section, but gl & again wb.

I'm really not worrying bout the handout thing. It's really fun to start from scratch.

Sorc. is good for sure, but I wanna play somethin with a bit more survivability.

are there any other builds that are cheap starters?

No I think Fishymancer and Sorcs are your best options. Try to get some cheap MF gear early on so you will speed things up: Chance Guards, 2xNagel, Tarnhelm, ...

nod. I'll do up a Fishymancer. thanks for the gear tips

I've just returned as well (last month). My WW barb is level 82 now. I take *zero* items from anyone, because I've always been a purist.

I am enjoying him quite a bit. Granted, almost all of my stuff is crafted, but it works so far.

My briefs recommendations:

1. Stick to your specialized weapons. You need the attack power as the game progresses, or you won't hit anything.

2. Get your defense and resistances up when you hit nighmare and obviously hell. Lower resistances get you killed FAST.

3. Save all your rubies and ort runes for crafting later. Don't waste time crafting or imbuing until you are high level (at least 80).

4. "Prevent creature heal" and "Cannot be frozen" are mandatory.

5. The hell difficulty Maggot lair drove me insane. I ultimately hopped to the chest, grabbed the staff, died, re-joined, and moved on. I just ddin't do enough damage to clear it (I was also too low level at the time).

Yea-I've never been one to mule or get free stuff before. I kinda feel bad for bringing it up. lol

I read some WW-IK-MF? barb guide on the site and that's actually what made me want to play again. Actually the first time I've ever had a solid interest in barb haha.

So necro till I get that IK armor :)

so I figured I might aswell keep all my questions in this thread..

What barb builds can do /everything/ with limited fear of dying? I've been wandering around the barb forum but mostly it's things like "X build can do X just fine".

So really, for balance in everything, what do people suggest? doesn't have to be just a single build, takes very specific things to tickle my fancy, like that IK WW build. Can that do everything? (the guide said as much, but i don't think it mentioned Uber Trist)

I am very much a solo player when I kill things, i save the multiplayer part for trade games and whatnot. and even if its not as efficient, i like going into my MF game and clearing as much as possible, instead of the 'hit 4 mobs and remake' thing.

Hmm. I'd say WW can get the job done. You just have to remember to Berserk if you get Iron Maidened, or if there's a physical immune.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High