the ultimate merc for a hammerdin!

mollybloom

Jun 26, 2008
the ultimate merc for a hammerdin!

Hi guys,

assuming you had all the runes and items you wanted and got the assignement of building the perfect merc, how would u go about it? Which merc would u choose and how would u gear him? Would your build change if you were to uberhunt as well (with 1pt smite)?

Give me your best ideas:)

Cheers

Re: the ultimate merc for a hammerdin!

eth forti sac arm
eth insight
CoA Ber Ber

Perfect merc for a hammerdin is a dead merc :p

Dead Merc indeed ;)

There is no such thing as an ultimate Merc for a Hammer Paladin, or any character, for that matter. Such attempts to define one are Naiive. There are countless combinations of very good gear.

Just make sure to hire your Mercenary from Normal and Nightmare and level him as high as possible.

End of Thread.

There's always a best of something, obviously there's variations or the question wouldn't need to be asked, amongst all the variations there's a compromise that, all things considered, is the best

Hi guys,

assuming you had all the runes and items you wanted and got the assignement of building the perfect merc, how would u go about it? Which merc would u choose and how would u gear him? Would your build change if you were to uberhunt as well (with 1pt smite)?

Give me your best ideas:)

Cheers

As long as you don't need the mana from Insight (I just use Redemption, one point + skill adders heals more life / mana per second than you would ever likely need), I found that an Act I Cold Arrow merc with a decent bow (anything... obviously the better ones like Faith, Ice, Windforce, etc.; even Edge and Harmony work surprisingly well) was nicely suited for my Hammerdins, for the very simple reason that she can pick off a few monsters at longer ranges than your hammers can reach.

The one disadvantage to this kind of merc is that she tends to walk around a lot before she parks her pretty little butt next to you and starts firing... this might be less than optimal if your Hammerdin moves around fast or teleports a lot. She might also be a problem in Uber Trist due to her tendency to wake up things that you didn't want to fight yet.

Of course, an Act II Nightmare Might merc, combined with your normal Concentration aura, will have an insane physical damage attack if given a decent polearm (Obedience in an ethereal elite poleaxe will do) which nicely complements the pure magic damage of your hammers.

Lots of options...

Mr. Bill

There are one or two monsters in the entire game that a hammerdin can't kill. Why would you need to rely on your mercs physical damage?

Just go for a Holy Freeze merc to make sure nothing will be able to reach you. Ever.

there are countless options, even though mines is a a1 ice merc.

If i were to boss run to try to get to lvl 99, i'd go with a a3 merc with 70 kiras, eth GA, and lawbringer. works wonders in chaos espically.

Whats so special about Lawbringer? just wondering as I have seen it mentioned for chaos running a couple of times.

A1, cold arrow rogue merc.
Andy's hat
Treachery Armour
Ice Bow.

There are one or two monsters in the entire game that a hammerdin can't kill.
there is only ONE monster in the whole game that cannot be killed with Hammers.

Act 3 Hell Wailing Beasts. found in the seven temples quest.

thats IT.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High