Nub questions

Drewgie

Jul 16, 2006
Nub questions

I returned to D2 about a month ago, very broke at that. After farting around with several characters I decided it was time to get a serious mfer and made a meteorb. She's been running NM Meph the past two nights (I've read that he should be the first big time target for mfers) and has found some decent stuff.

I'm probably way more excited about my haul than I should be, but oh well! Notable finds include:

2 Woestaves
Kelpie's Snare
Trang Oul's gloves
Hwanin's armor
Guillame's face
Tearhaunch
Aldur's boots
Tal Rasha's mask
A sweet Unique maul (I forget the name, but I'm gonna make a WW Barb w/ it)

My merc after finding Guillame's / Kelpie -----> :cloud9:

Ok, sorry for ranting for half a page before asking my question, so here it is:

You can upgrade uniques from normal to exceptional, and exceptional to elite item class correct? Atleast that is what I think I've read somewhere. I'd like to up my merc's Kelpie so it gets some more damage, but I can't find the cube formula.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Nub questions

This site's Cube Recipes page in the wiki. Since it seems to bug out and display with invisible text disturbingly often:

Various recipes to upgrade the quality of uniques and rares. Will not work on crafted items or runewords. These recipes do not alter the modifiers on items; they merely upgrade the base item type, from normal to exceptional, or exceptional to elite, enabling greater damage or higher defense.

1 Ral Rune + 1 Sol Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Normal Unique Weapon --> Exceptional Version of Weapon

1 Tal Rune + 1 Shael Rune + 1 Perfect Diamond + Normal Unique Armor --> Exceptional Version of Armor

1 Lum Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Exceptional Unique Weapon --> Elite Version of Weapon

1 Ko Rune + 1 Lem Rune + 1 Perfect Diamond + Exceptional Unique Armor --> Elite Version of Armor

1 Ort Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal (Basic) Rare Weapon --> Exceptional Rare Weapon

1 Ral Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Normal (Basic) Rare Armor --> Exceptional Rare Armor

1 Fal Rune + 1 Um Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Exceptional Rare Weapon --> Elite Rare Weapon

1 Ko Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Exceptional Rare Armor --> Elite Rare Armor

Thanks shade :thumbsup:

Another nub question I forgot in the original post: what's the recipe for cubing runes past thul? Don't you just add a chippy or something?

Just stop before you will try to upgrade Kelpie. Your merc will probably not be able to equip an upped version for some time... Check the requirements carefully...

EDIT: 168 min strength

Yep; the gems are listed through the above link. They go in sequence as the rune order increases, starting with Chipped Topaz (Thul upgrade to Amn) all the way up to Flawless Emerald (Cham to Zod... if you have 2 Chams spare, I'd guess the Emerald would be pocket change :) ).

You won't lose anything if you have the incorrect gem in the Cube, although take note that there is a point where you only need 2 runes to upgrade instead of 3 - and with some of these runes, wasting one like this would be painful.

edit: Regards the upgrading, I forget the exact details, but IIRC the level requirement for Excep -> Elite is as per Elite version (or original, whichever is higher) +7, and the stat requirements increase as you'd expect to the new base type. If stats are the issue then a quick workaround is to socket it with a Jewel of Freedom; nothing you can do to reduce the level requirement though.

(Be very careful about upgrading items from Normal to Elite, though, as that will increase the level requirement still further; by +12 total, I think.)

(Be very careful about upgrading items from Normal to Elite, though, as that will increase the level requirement still further; by +12 total, I think.)

Yeah your correct there is a hidden modifier added to your item when you upgrade it.

from normal to exceptional - +5 rlvl
from exceptional to elite - +7 rlvl

And they stack so if you upgrade from normal to elite its +5 and +7 for +12 rlvl.

Nice to see you again Shade :)

Just stop before you will try to upgrade Kelpie. Your merc will probably not be able to equip an upped version for some time... Check the requirements carefully...

EDIT: 168 min strength

Thank's Hrus, it's a good thing I don't have the runes to up yet. I wouldn't have even thought of this :crazyeyes:

I probably won't up it for a while anyway. Need to do more Mephy runs before moving on to A4. Gib Shako/Occy/Skullders!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High