Newbie SP Question - Duriel

Re: Newbie SP Question - Duriel

I have been unable to find a weapon better than this one.

I first attempted kill Duriel over a week ago, since then I have equipped myself with as much MF as I have found, and been whacking a way for an hour or two a day ever since; and still nothing has dropped that compares. I have even looked at some socketed items that I could add to, but none of them were close. I did have one item that was better, however, it didn't seen to have the same kill because it was missing the Life Steel. I have also been gambling quite a lot and have not seen anything much better.

Suggestions?

Oof- that's some pretty amazing bad luck. I don't know about you, but my chars typically start having a pretty tough time leveling in act II once they hit the level yours is at. So, we're probably not going to be able to help much with suggestions on builds, it's mostly down to equipment. That said, do you have any intention of installing Atma and joining the trade pool here? If so, getting better gear than what you have should be fairly easy. If not, you're at the mercy of the games's drops.

Quick question before I give any weapon suggestions: what type of sword are you currently wielding? I don't see any two-handed swords on AS that can get the damage range you posted with 100% extra damage.

Edit: Oh, I see- yeah, I don't really have the stats for uniques memorized, and I was thrown by the fact that he listed min damage as 1, not 16. Okay, well, a good % extra damage halberd, grim scythe, or maul would give much better damage, but I don't recall which of those can be shopped in normal Act II. I'd look for any of those three types of weapons with at least 80% ed, of course preferably with a good second mod.

Edit2: skunkbelly- that sounds way too familiar...

Last edited:

It's called Shadowfang. A unique 2-handed sword.

Here's what I do with underpowered characters.

1. Make sure TP book is full.
2. Get a lot of healing potions.
3. Make sure merc is alive, and ready to rumble.
4. Enter Duriel's chamber, and cast TP *immediately.*
5. Get Duriel to fight merc. Feed merc potions. If you can, try to fight some yourself.
6. When merc dies, jump into TP and get him resurrected.
7. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, Duriel will die.
8. A great merc weapon in this instance would be a "Malice" runeword scythe (or other polearm). The damage isn't great, but the 100% chance to cast Open Wounds is a big help.

Another useful thing to try - suck down thawing potions. I mean dozens of them. The HF aura will still slow you, but you cold resist will be temporarily maxed. If he's killing you quickly, that might help a lot. I assume you've connected to bnet and aren't playing the old version with the charge of doom anymore?

W00t!! Finally did it, sheesh, that was a pain. Open a portal and used it plus mercs to kill him. While he was smashing the Mercs I put on the Charge Attack, and would take some whacks at him, if I got low or the Merc got low/killed, I would attempt to make it to the portal, which worked all but once, got whacked, but can't win em all. So them I used the waypoints to get back without tearing down the portal. Took me nearly half an hour, got a little jumpy a few times, and went through the portal, and once or twice did it by accident.

Thanks for the help. I should be playing online probably next weekend. Trying to finish it this way first.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High