Diablo 3?

Re: Diablo 3?

Everything you hear about D3 is lies and misinformation spread by Blizzard to get our hopes up, (secretly like many believe Hellgate London is really D3). The only thing we can count on is D2.

As a side note.... *Sits in a corner petting D2* My precious they will try to take you away my precious but we won'ts let them. DIABLO DIABLO DIABLO

Just a question:
I have no skills in game development whatsoever, so I am just curious:
With technology these days (or the recent future), is it possible to create a very popular computer game that is not prone to hacks and 3rd party programs simply due to the sheer number of anti-hacking software the game has built-in upon it's release? I understand as time slips by these codes may become easier to break, however, is there really no way around this to safely lock up a game for good without the need of daily patches and moderation? Seems like companies will, if not already, reach that point (at least hopefully).

as programs get more complex there's more ways for things to go wrong.

However it should theoretically be possible to make something hack proof if you can theoretically anticipate every possible input. And there's the whole problem.

With technology these days (or the recent future), is it possible to create a very popular computer game that is not prone to hacks and 3rd party programs simply due to the sheer number of anti-hacking software the game has built-in upon it's release?
Absolutely.
Thing is:

No company, ever, will put that much money into making a secure 100% hack proof game.

It's all about releasing the game, somewhat support it afterwards and profit from it. Telling your consumers you're against hacks and RMTs is also good for business.

sure 100% hack proof = not relseased

anything can be cracked with enough time and computing power...

the best method beyond that would be to set up a honey pot...my personal favorite method...

I'm more a fan of just using the ban stick a lot more when people cheat. If you get caught cheating then you get the opportunity to pay for a new cd key to play again. Let that pay off some of the support fees.

spiritclaw, so u think its ok to pay 50 bucks 4 the game and then pay every month to be allowed to play the game u just bought? Now the game becomes 20 bucks more expensive every month. after 1 year u've payed 290 bucks just to play game ? Sounds like a good idea???? not!!!!! This is why i dont play WOW, even though it looks like a game id be into 4 a long time.

Please stop complaining about monthly fees. I'm glad to pay $15 a month to play WoW and knowing that they are doing everything possible to keep all of their realms free of hackers, plus they check for keyloggers as well. Even though I loved playing D2, I was really frusrtated with players "creating" weapons and armor and the overall lack of security. If you are one of the ones who supports this than of course you want a game you can just manipulate and get the things you need instead of actually working at getting those same items. Like I said in my previous post, I dont think Diablo 3 will beanything like WoW because theres no reason to make the same game model and just stick in the names from Diablo lore. I think it will have to be a real time strategy game such as Starcraft or Warcraft 3.

Please stop complaining about monthly fees. I'm glad to pay $15 a month to play WoW and knowing that they are doing everything possible to keep all of their realms free of hackers, plus they check for keyloggers as well. Even though I loved playing D2, I was really frusrtated with players "creating" weapons and armor and the overall lack of security. If you are one of the ones who supports this than of course you want a game you can just manipulate and get the things you need instead of actually working at getting those same items. Like I said in my previous post, I dont think Diablo 3 will beanything like WoW because theres no reason to make the same game model and just stick in the names from Diablo lore. I think it will have to be a real time strategy game such as Starcraft or Warcraft 3.

Post was fine until very last statement. Nooo, no, no, my friend. D3 has no chance whatsoever of becoming a RTS. First off, you dont make a new game in a series of RPGs suddenly become RTS - you would piss off sooo many people. Second, how even could they? Theres not enough units to provide the game. Thirdly, why would they? Diablo is, and always has been, an RPG. With Warcraft, WC2, WC2 Exp, WC3, WC3 Exp, SC, SC Exp, and SC2, Blizzard has more than enough RTS. Trust me, D3 would more likely never come out then to come out randomly as an RTS.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High