M'avina FAzon questions

HellHoundBarb

Jul 28, 2007
www.youtube.com
M'avina FAzon questions

Hey everyone!

I play SP only to begin with.
I want to make my first Amazon (ever), she's going to wear the full M'avina set, and will be using FA as her main skill (only skill?).

Total bonuses from M'avina set:
43-110 Damage, +114-377 Magic Damage, +137-270 Cold Damage
100 resist all (+30 from Anya) is 20 resist all begin Hell, 30 resist all end Hell.
+4 all skills, +2 B&C, +2 P&M
+30 STR and +45 DEX (which can be used to equip the Bow (152DEX) and Armor (122STR).
70% IAS (+20% when bow=shaeled means 9 fpa FA, max for this set)
30 FHR (means 8 frames, 32 gives 7, 52 gives 6)
5% Mana Leech
+20% to Cold Skill Damage

With the M'avina set equipped, I have free slots for 2 Rings, Ammy and Boots.
I think Ring1=Max Dex RavenFrost
Suggestions please on rest of free slots.
I also have 2 free slots left (on the Tiara + Armor), suggestions are welcome here too (don't know if I can get Cold Facets, so other suggestions too please).
Suggestions on Charms are nice too.

A problem is how to handle Cold Immunes. I actually don't want to use an other weapon on switch, so no Jav skills for me...

Then the problem of Hireling choice. This one can perhaps defeat the CIs. (Act 1 Fire maybe?). Suggestions on eq for him/her are welcome here too.

Then the next question, how many points should I put in the P&M Skill Tree (keep in mind that I perhaps need another Bow Skill for CIs). What Skills should I put points in, and how many?

Thanks in advance!

HHB

I think 5 points into multi would fix your CIs problem.

Boots there are many good choices for these give me a min.
Gore Riders
War Travs
Treks
Waterwalks

I would probably go with a NM offensive merc for the might aura or Normal offecnsive merc for Blessed Aim aura.

Amulet- all of these wouldnt be a bad choice
Maras
Metalgrid
Atmas
Highlords
Cresent moon
Cats eye
Eye of Etlich

For the other ring I would go for some rare ring with dual leech on it if possible.

Not real sure about the empty slots though give me some time and i might come up with something.

Go strafe/FA. Strafe will handle CI's and refill your mana buld. Put a ravenfrost on one finger and manald heal on the other. Put 5 or so in each d/a/e and as many as you want in valk. If you want a valk place 17 there for the weapon upgrade she gets at that level. Put more in pierce, depending on if you are going to use Razortail or not. Sander's boots are decent cheap boots if you're stuck and can't find others. The FRW and +10 to dex is a nice bonus. Use a Might merc, the Mav bow is a little light in the damage area.
This is a fun build.

Only need 1 in Multi zallus, with a Torch and Anni you get +8 all and +2 Bow, making for a slvl 11 Multi, or 12 arrows. Anything beyond 15 arrows IMO is to much. There's rarely occasions of mobs being 15+ in size on the screen at any one time, and it starts costing too much mana.

I also agree with Strafe/FA hybrid. 20 in Strafe, FA, Cold Arrow and Valkyrie. 1 in each other passive, rest in Pierce and Penetrate to suit tastes. No need more than 1 in D/A/E, since you're a Bowazon with 3 big tanks. Those points are better served in Penetrate for more AR and Pierce for higher piercing chance (which effectively means higher FA damage against mobs).

2nd ring to be Ravenfrost too. the 15-45 cold damage is added to FA's splash as well as arrow, plus it adds 4 seconds freeze duration.

Highlord's Wrath saves you the Shael in the bow, and would be a little better for your physical damage.
Actually, that's debatable since if using Mara's that's an extra +1 to Critical Strike, plus the +2 skills means higher FA damage and Pierce skill. You'd really want the Amulet to have +skills on it to improve your FA damage.

Boots: War Travs get my vote. Especially with a full Dex build (which it should be). Alll-Dex is an absolutely awesome way to build Bowazons. It means your Strafe actually does some respective damage, and you don't really need a high life anyway behind your Decoy, Valk and Merc if you use them well. Full Dex also means you'll have an easier time with mana management. More damage = more mana leeched. And more Multi/Strafe damage means less Multi/Strafes needed to kill things = less mana used in total.

I didn't even think of a Stafe/FA zon. But there are many options as you can see

O and Eilo since they didn't mention a Torch/Anni I figured they would need the extra couple of skill points. But Yes I agree 1 in multi is plenty if you have them.

The hardest part to figure out is exactly what we all are talking about your other ring, ammy, and boots. They are all difficult decisions as each has its advantages

Atma's is great simply because the amp damage gets rid of physical immunes. Since FA can be used against physical immunes you don't need the amp damage, and can use something else here. I'd go with Mara's or Highlords for the ammy.

i agree that atma's is not so great an option. even if you run in to a ci/pi you can just use a one point magic arrow to kill it.

Wow, thanks for all the answers! This really helps me a lot!

I mentioned at the start of my post that I play SP only, so no Torch/Anni for me.

I think I'm going 20 Strafe, 20 FA, 20 CA, 1 D/A/E, Then 20 Valk, Then rest Penetrate/Pierce. CA as main attack, Strafe for CIs (+mana leeching).

Then about the ammy, I have a Highlord's wrath, but no Mara's... Is a +2 Amazon ammy with ML(/LL/STR/DEX/res/anything else) a good alternative?

Boots will be War Travs I think. 2nd Ring will be another RavenFrost (love frost :p)

Then about the hireling. Can you please say whether a Might merc is necessary, or that an act 1 Fire Arrow Rogue will do the trick too. Should I put more points in D/A/E then? Will my killing speed drop significantly?
(I actually prefer the Rogue (with Harmony bow), I love the idea of 2 "Sisters in arms" :grin:, and I will choose this one if it won't affect my killing speed that much)
I need equipment suggestions here too. Please give advice too on what bow I should Harmony in, if I'm going to make it.
If I'm going to have an act 2 merc, I'm going to use an Insight Polearm, for the Meditation aura (no more mana issues).

Is the best choice for charms B&C/P&M skillers? Resist is also nice, I guess, and perhaps AR/STR/DEX.

Then my stats choices (perhaps influenced by hireling choice), should I go full DEX (would love to see those damage numbers) or some VIT.

Thanks in advance!

HHB

EDIT: Another question: What Equipment should I use before I can equip my end-game stuff? Thanks again!

if you dont need the ias on an ammy definitly go 2zon rare. many rares can beat maras.

might will help you with your leeching and general kill speed of strafing a pack of cold imunes. it can also give you the ability to equip insight (if you're using the runeword mod) or reaper's toll. the latter especially will help you vs a ci/pi as you'll be able to strafe when decrep goes off.

definitly go b&c a few passives never hurt.

i'd go full dex, but that'll depend on if you feel safe. i've gone 800-1000 life before, but consider most of the monsters you face will be frozen solid.

low equip is hard i think, you need as much +mana as you can get. i'd just toss psaphs in eveyrthing once you get in to using frozen arrow

mana leech and mana regen will be a pain until about level 40 or so. To balance it, I would use mostly strafe all the way through normal because FA is mana hungry. You will become annoyed drinking mana pots every time you use FA (every two or three shots). Using Manald will help...

I would use Might merc over a Rogue. But that's just me. It seems like a Rogue always runs into monster packs and gets killed, while a might merc stands around the corner staring at the wall, but you still get his aura. You can't get the might merc until NM act two anyways, so give the Rogue a try for a while and see.

Ok, going to try out Fire Rogue with Harmony Bow (what bow should I use for it? must be end-game too) if it doesn't work, then Might merc with Insight.

And what bow should I use until I can equip M'avina's bow (lvl 70)? Armor/Helm will be PSapphire sockets.

And I'll be going min STR, full DEX.

Thanks for all the info!

HHB

Edit just ignore this move along people move along nothing to see here.

I completely forget the whole part about you playing SP so all my advice was useless. Sorry.

If you're going full dex, which seems like a pretty good idea to me considering the safety provided by FA, i think you should consider getting 120% IAS to reach 9/2 strafe bp. Like the guys already said you'll need strafe to leech your mana back so you can keep using FA. We all know mav's bow lacks physical dmg to be a top notch strafing bow but all that dex will add a nice ed% which means your strafe will be leeching much more mana for a nice steady flow of FA late game. And as it is you probably have 90% IAS already (shael'ed bow + diadem) for 9 FPA FA so you're only lacking 30% IAS to get to 120% (2 jewels of fervor in diadem/armor will do it).

A good pick before you can equip mav's would be Lycander's aim for instance. Give also a try to silkweave boots, those are great.

Ok, this is going to be my setup:

Equipment:
Code:
Weapon: M'avina's Caster Grand Matron Bow (socketed with Shael)
Headgear: M'avina's True Sight Diadem (socketed with Jewel of Fervor)
Body Armor: M'avina's Embrace Kraken Shell (socketed with Jewel of Fervor)
Gloves: M'avina's Icy Clutch Battle Gauntlets
Belt: M'avina's Tenet Sharkskin Belt
Ring1: RavenFrost Ring (max DEX or close to max)
Ring2: RavenFrost Ring (max DEX or close to max)
Amulet: Rare Amulet with 2 Amazon Skills + other useful mods
Boots: War Traveller/Silkweave(helps with mana issues)

Stats:
Code:
STR: minimum to equip stuff
DEX: full
VIT: none
NRG: none

Mercenary:
Code:
Act 1 Fire Rogue
Weapon: "Harmony" Blade Bow
Headgear: Andariel's Visage/Guillaume's Face (?, suggestions please)
Body Armor: "Treachery" Armor

OR:
Act 2 Might Mercenary
Weapon: "Insight" Ethereal Polearm
Headgear: Guillaume's Face (I think?)
Body Armor: Duriel's Shell

Skills:
Code:
Bow & Crossbow:
Freezing Arrow: 20
Cold Arrow: 20
Strafe: 20

Passive & Magic:
Valkyrie: 20
Dodge: 1
Evade: 1
Avoid: 1
Decoy: ? Suggestions here please
Pierce: rest
Penetrate: rest

Thanks for all the help, going to start this character once I get back from holidays!

HHB

I'm pleased that you're going the 120% IAS route. Overall your build looks fine. I'll just add 2 more cents to the jar.

If you can't get a rare +2 ammy with mana leech i think it's a good idea to switch one of those ravens for a rare mana leech + mods ring or even a manald. I believe this will allow to use War travs instead of silkweave with mana confort.

Charms:
You shoud get bow skillers to increase FA damage. Ideally with +life.
FHR while not a major issue, you can easily get it to 6 frames by slapping 2 sc's and 1 gc with FHR. Ideally a bow skiller with FHR if you have one.
Get 1 sc with big poison dmg to halt monster regeneration. Rest of the sc's ideally shoud have +life/+one resist.

The rogue gear seems fine. I would use andy over guillaume's though.

1 point in decoy is just fine, plus the valk doesn't really need the +life bonus from decoy to be a formidable tank. Also, later you can always put there the spare points once you have achieved the skill layout you just posted.

My updated setup:

Equipment:
Code:
Weapon: M'avina's Caster Grand Matron Bow (socketed with Shael)
Headgear: M'avina's True Sight Diadem (socketed with Jewel of Fervor)
Body Armor: M'avina's Embrace Kraken Shell (socketed with Jewel of Fervor)
Gloves: M'avina's Icy Clutch Battle Gauntlets
Belt: M'avina's Tenet Sharkskin Belt
Ring1: RavenFrost Ring (max DEX or close to max)
Ring2: RavenFrost Ring (max DEX or close to max)
Amulet: Rare Amulet with 2 Amazon Skills + Mana Leech + other useful mods
Boots: Silkweave Mesh Boots

Stats:
Code:
STR: minimum to equip stuff
DEX: full
VIT: none
NRG: none

Mercenary:
Code:
Act 1 Fire Rogue
Weapon: "Harmony" Blade Bow
Headgear: Andariel's Visage (socketed with Ral)
Body Armor: "Treachery" Armor

Skills:
Code:
Bow & Crossbow:
Freezing Arrow: 20
Cold Arrow: 20
Strafe: 20

Passive & Magic:
Valkyrie: 20
Dodge: 1
Evade: 1
Avoid: 1
Decoy: 1(+)
Pierce: rest
Penetrate: rest

Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it!

HHB

umm

First of all: you are using SP. Which means no Insight or Harmony for you. 2nd. I f you play Normal character...FULL dex ofc....what could happen? die and respawn?:)

And of course best option is to have an offensive merc....Amazon can deliver great damage fast and has tanks in valk and merc. Unless you wanna play the real playa amazon: Hardcore, No valkyrie..full dex . U'll see the thrill of it:) Enjoy and GL

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High