I dont get it....

Morlen

Jul 21, 2007
I dont get it....

i havnt been playing D2 for very long, unlike some of these long time players, but this is what ive found about playing the summon necro

plz dont be offended is i step on anyones toes, i dont mean to make anyone mad or call them stupid by the following, its just what ive found works extremely well for PvM smn necro

this is my build(basically)

STR up to 110 to wear some decent elite armor
DEX 0, zip, nada, zilch
VIT everything else
ENG 100, no more

at lvl 1 on up, the first thing i do for stats is go 3 str, 1 vit, 1 eng untill i get 110 base str
then i go 4 vit, 1 eng untill i reach 100 base energy, then all stat points go to VIT....thats how i do stats

skills....
as a smn necro, u start off with a RS wand+1, my first few lvls(1-5ish) i dump onto RS for the number of skeles, then i alternate(based on feel and progression) SM and RS untill both are maxed at lvl 20 base
then i do this for smns in this order
1 pt clay golem
1 pt golem mastery
20 pts summon resist
20 pts in skele mage

depending on how im progressing, either in multi player games(rushing through normal and nm, or soloing) i will leave mages alone and put 1 pt in teeth and 1 pt in CE early
then 1 pt in all curses
ive tested this on single player mode and found that once RS,SM,SR,and mages are maxed, 1 pt in teeth and each curse, u can max corpse explosion to 20 and have 3 skill pts left over at lvl 99
heres the reason i do this, based on my exp...

once u get to hell, ur army will die fast due to low elem resist, blood moor boss packs will wipe em fast
summon resist lvl(and ur char lvl) have a MAJOR EFFECT on the survivability of ur army, along with attack rating

i maxed mages because once u hit endgame and get that runeword polearm for ur merc(cant remember name atm) that gives conviction, ur mages do ALOT of dmg, along with the act2 nm might merc aura, ur skeles are ur heavy hitters, and the polearm has dmg+% and CB for ur merc

once i hit hell and had put all my gear to skill+ and smn skill+, newly switched to non-ladder 92 necro :( , i had +33 - +35 for smn skills and a lvl18 CE
i was runnin with a 5kish hp gumby, a 2k might merc doin 2500 dmg with 45% CB(unique polearm) 14 skelles and mages

diablo, andy, duriel, baal, nilathak(sp?), countess, extra strong, spectral hit, extra fast, enchanted, fanat, convic etc boss packs fell fast

i would run baal and diablo alot and never lose skeles, every now and then diablo would do that lighting thingy and a couple of my mages would die
i was able to kill diablo and baal with just gumby and merc more then a few times without having to run back to town to revive my merc or resummoning gumby

as far as curses, i use amp+CE always, decrep for bosses, and attract(never dim vision) for massive packs
attract works alot better, in my opinion and exp, then dim vision
curse more then one, and keep doin it till something...anything dies, then amp+CE and everything will fall fast, which leads me to my next point about this build

Corpse explosion does 60-100% of the life of the corpse to everything around it, the radius goes up with skill(duh)

heres something im not sure everyone knows about CE, but i found this out from many many runs(no i dont have officall blizz info, just something ive found without a doubt is true)

when ur radius is lets say 10 yrds for CE, the mobs within 2 yrds(example) will take 100% dmg, the ones at the 8 yrd mark will take 60% dmg

what ive found is this....
if ur radius increases to say 15 yrds, the mobs within 3-4 yrds(example) will take 100% dmg
the larger the radius, the WIDER THE RADIUS OF 100% FIRE/PHYS DMG FROM CE

now by posting all this, again, im not telling anyone they are dumb and dont know anything, this is just what ive found works extremely well as a PvM smn necro

i hardly lose any of my skeles, unless i run too far too fast and they glitch out

ill never use iron golem or revives
ill never put anything into bone armor,wall,prison
ill never have more then 1 pt in gumby or golem mastery

all +skills gear for this build
my(was ladder) nonladder now necro has this

Arm of King leroric
Skullders Ire
String of ears
Lidless wall(that grim shield unique) with pdiamond for resist
HC shako
+3 smn skill ammy
mf rings
+3 necro torch(very low, lol got for a shael and ort :p)
merc has this

unique polearm( the french one, cant remember) partizan with pskull for life steal
gladiators bane(i think thats the name) armor
rockstopper helm(best i could find at the time)

my current necro is my 6th necro ive made, and this build i had i am able to solo every part of the game
except ubers, havnt tried them, or dclone lol

one day ill fight em tho

i forgot to mention this, sry lol
physical immune mobs, amp dmg, and sometimes decrep, takes the immunity off
coupled with the might aura of my merc, them and stoneskin bosses arent a problem
they were a major problem before i got the merc

Welcome to the forum.

Where you trying to get help from people to suggest better gear or alternative or simply demonstrating your personal build ?

If its the latest, I am sorry to inform you that almost every possible build are available in the sticky with all the guide for necromancers.

have a nice stay.

wasnt asking for help
and wasnt trying to say every build hasnt been done

just dont understand why ppl are so bent on dim vision or confuse being better then attract
ive used em, even at high skill lvls, in my exp attract is much more effective

yea, on gloams dim vision will "stop" them from shooting at ya off screen
but attract will cause them to fire at mobs and not u, increasing the amount of time u will have bodies to blow, and ive found that confuse is too random, whereas attract puts the brunt of the pack on 1 mob, also increasing the time u get a body to blow

i never use dim vision, or confuse, even on baal runs when the tp gets hot
i run in and attract on everything, ive found that sometimes confuse doesnt always work in "confusing" them

I personally find that dim vision does have its uses, as you don't want souls to fire at all, even randomly. Stray bolts can still be deadly, especially if your resist is not up to par. I use attract on other creatures like venom lords, though.

Also, using dim vision instead of attract saves 2 points. :tongue:

Morlen do you find that you really need that many points in energy?

I missed this the first time through so I wanted to go ahead and quote it for emphasis:
Corpse explosion does 60-100% of the life of the corpse to everything around it, the radius goes up with skill(duh)

heres something im not sure everyone knows about CE, but i found this out from many many runs(no i dont have officall blizz info, just something ive found without a doubt is true)

when ur radius is lets say 10 yrds for CE, the mobs within 2 yrds(example) will take 100% dmg, the ones at the 8 yrd mark will take 60% dmg

what ive found is this....
if ur radius increases to say 15 yrds, the mobs within 3-4 yrds(example) will take 100% dmg
the larger the radius, the WIDER THE RADIUS OF 100% FIRE/PHYS DMG FROM CE

Thats is neat info I've ever heard that before.

But do we still suffer from scaling problem?

Arbing, its not a waste
especially on diablo when he does that ring of fire thing
before i didnt have sm res he'd wipe my skeles each wave
after, they are unphased by it
not to mention also those extra strong, elem enchanted boss packs, smn res helps to eliminate the dmg they get, also used to get wiped by them

i put that many point in to enery cause of the amount i use CE
also in multi-player games, it takes more corpses to start the chain, more mana useage

its just what works for me

Arbing, its not a waste
not to mention also those extra strong, elem enchanted boss packs, smn res helps to eliminate the dmg they get, also used to get wiped by them

also in multi-player games, it takes more corpses to start the chain, more mana useage

points in SR are not a waste but 20 are. You only need 2-5 points depending on your +skill items and your skellies will survive everything.
I agree with you about energy, I like to spend points in there too it makes my life while lvling up much easier and you are not so item dependent when you finish the build.

Hello various dudes,

I personally use Attract almost exclusively, as such I have never really used Dim Vision (other than to tinker around with) as Attract has basically the same effect, which is to distract monsters from attacking my skinny l'il ***** Necromancer. I am sure that maxing Dim Vision will have a significantly more pronounced effect, but then so would maxing Attract. Obviously, Dim Vision is specifically designed to shut down ranged attackers and it obviously works as evidenced by all who laud it, but a couple of well placed Attracts will accomplish virtually the same goal, plus you receive experience if any monsters are killed, plus at least some of the monsters will be weakened when the resume their march towards you. Additionally, with Attract you can screw around with the stange affects of stacking curses (Attract+Decrepify, blah, blah, blah) as only Confuse can override Attract (I think). So, to sum-up they both work.

:shocked:
Arbing, its not a waste

sorry for the misundersatnding, i mean have a total of 20 points is a waste because after you count in the +skills from your end game gears, you will find that SR only add very little each level and if your +skill is high enough.

assuming you have +20 summon skill from items total for your nec. with base level 20 SR +20 from items it become +72 resist for your summons
with a level 1 SR +20 from items it become +66 resist for your summons.

you only gain 6 resist for your summons at the cost of 19skill points !!!! :shocked:

Thing is, with that many + skills, u wont need to pump any curses and u dont need another pnb skill. Pumpin Golem mastery for iron golem might be good, but he gets owned by iron maiden when u do D and B runs. What are u gonna do with the rest points? Go to Dark Woods and plant a skill tree? I also really liked the infinity+might idea, that way u'll have a deadly elemental army to kill any unbreakable PIs whilst still having a strong melee force.

If you got extra might as well pump golem mastery and clay golem. You can get insane amounts of life and slow, instead of 6 resists.

Arbing, its not a waste

It's a waste once you get the high-end gear. Let Diablo try to kill a lvl 40 skeleton... those 5% less res won't make the slightest difference

EDIT - I also think that pride would be better for infinity for a summoner. Skeleton warriors are much stronger than mages, if you have 14-15 of them, might and concentration from merc, I don't think those mages would make faster killers. Plus warriors don't get in your way. And what about the PI's, you say? Well, I "solved" that by sinking 20 points in bone spirit. At least I get to kill things myself if I want/need to!

Thing is, with that many + skills, u wont need to pump any curses and u dont need another pnb skill. Pumpin Golem mastery for iron golem might be good, but he gets owned by iron maiden when u do D and B runs. What are u gonna do with the rest points? Go to Dark Woods and plant a skill tree?

your point being?? :rolleyes: i think i have better use for 19 skill points instead of wasting them for a mere +6 resist for my summons (which is quite silly imo). i mean i would rather put those 19 points for another skill rather than having a +6 resist.

It's a little less useless than you think. That 6 extra resist means that your summon is 20% more durable against enemy elemental attacks (1 - .66) / (1 - .72) = 1.214... Still, I would go rather go for mages.

It's a little less useless than you think. That 6 extra resist means that your summon is 20% more durable against enemy elemental attacks (1 - .66) / (1 - .72) = 1.214... Still, I would go rather go for mages.

yes i am aware of that, but if your skeles is already lvl 40+ it have absolutly no problem surviving hell dispite the extra 6 resist (which means 20% more durable, i am also aware of that, i pvp ALOT so i know the differeces between the damage taken if you got 72% resist compare to 66%), but my point is spending 20 hard points in summon resist is a waste with end game gears, since your skeles can survive in hell without any problems at all, because their regen is very fast and you can just resummon if 1-2 die.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High