OT: SPF Mafia Game

I think this time I'll be around so I can take part in the game if you are still open to applicants.

I'll be happy to host, so that skoolbus can play this round. I will probably make a couple of minor adjustments to the rules, to make things both more smooth and more fun.

I will start a new thread later today.

This seems like fun, can I join if there are still seats left?

Edit: On a second thought, I will be away for the weekend so I can't join if you're going to start before Sunday.

Last edited:
For quick commentary:

I'm thinking of adding two new characters. Tell me what you think:

Witness- A townsfolk with a special ability. Once during the ENTIRE GAME, you may PM me during the night that you wish to be in the right place at the wrong time. You will then be a witness to that night’s murder, and will write a letter to the newspaper telling them what you saw – including the identity of one mafia member involved in the killing. As soon as the newspaper hits the street, however, your character will have a “suspicious accident,” and will be removed from the game. There will be only one Witness, and they may not reveal their identity to anyone. And of course, you do not have to sacrifice yourself if you do not wish to.

Crooked Detective- A mafia member with a special ability. Once during the night, pm me the name of someone alive. That person will be “taken into custody for questioning” when morning comes, and will be unable to be involved in discussions or lynchings that day. They will be released when night falls. Anyone except for the Crooked Detective may be arrested—even a fellow mobster. The name of the player arrested will be posted in the morning's news, so that all players know why they cannot participate in the discussion. The Crooked Detective may not reveal their identity to anyone, including their fellow mobsters. There will be only one Crooked Detective. It is possible for the Detective to choose *not* to make an arrest, if they so choose.

The Witness seems a bit overpowered. It's basically a one to one trade which would very much benefit the townies. Also seems like it would force the witness to use their ability in the first night as it would be a big risk for them to miss out on taking down a mafia member if they were targeted for lynching/murder.

Crooked Detective could be useful, but I'm not sure how. But I think a pattern would arise whereby the person taken into custody by the detective would then subsequently be targeted for murder by the mafia since they would be known as a townie to everyone. Might make a rule where the person taken into custody cannot be killed on the night of their captivity. Of course the Doctor could prevent such a pattern from occuring if he were alive.

I was thinking of another role, the Eavesdropper. This person would randomly receive one PM sent between the mafia each night. Could make it intersting to force the mafia into speaking in code.

The Witness seems a bit overpowered. It's basically a one to one trade which would very much benefit the townies. Also seems like it would force the witness to use their ability in the first night as it would be a big risk for them to miss out on taking down a mafia member if they were targeted for lynching/murder.

The number of participants, and the number of townies and mafia members will be adjusted, to make this not so overpowered. And of course, if someone wants to keep playing, they won't want to use this too early... they'll be dead, after all, and miss the fun.

Crooked Detective could be useful, but I'm not sure how. But I think a pattern would arise whereby the person taken into custody by the detective would then subsequently be targeted for murder by the mafia since they would be known as a townie to everyone. Might make a rule where the person taken into custody cannot be killed on the night of their captivity. Of course the Doctor could prevent such a pattern from occuring if he were alive.
There's no rule stating that the Mafia have to pick a townie--after all, if they pick one of themselves, that person cannot be lynched that day, since they're in custody. However, I think I will add a rule stating that each player can only be brought into custody once during the game... that way, the mafia can't bring one of their members in every week, for instance, and they can't pick on one particular townie repeatedly.

I was thinking of another role, the Eavesdropper. This person would randomly receive one PM sent between the mafia each night. Could make it intersting to force the mafia into speaking in code.

I know that the mafia used email last time around, since it was a little bit more convenient, so this might be difficult to do... plus, I'd have to be copied on all of their PMs, which would be a nightmare. Fun idea, though.

OK!

I am posting the new thread NOW. There will be 16 players, and everyone who has indicated an interest in Round Two is included. Please review the new rules carefully.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High