Is Magic Hand Allowed?

Teleportato

Jun 19, 2007
Is Magic Hand Allowed?

I've seen people using a program called "Magic Hand". It allows them to somehow sense or know where a certain door, waypoint, exit, or whatever is so they don't have to waste time searching around the map.

It seems rather unfair to me and I'm curious if this is allowed or if it is illegal. What is blizzard's stance on this program? Do they know about it?

I wasn't sure which forum I should post this in so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Any program interacting with the game as you describe is almost certainly a violation of the EULA and therefore illegal (particularly on Battle.net.) A type of maphack, maybe?

And this forum should be fine for that question. :smiley: Welcome to the forums.

...sure you're not thinking of Map Hack? ...which reveals the entire map before you explore it including the location of doors and waypoints and things?

Either way, yeah, if it's a program that isn't Diablo and you use it with Diablo it isn't kosher.

silly Q :laugh:

ofc its some kind of 3th party program. atleast my diablo doesent have 'magic hand on/off' toggle at my options.

and yes its not allowed

What is allowed: Diablo II as it comes out of the box you purchased. Diablo II LoD as it comes out of the box you purchased.

That's it.

(SP have a couple of utilities but nothing you can use on the realms; mainly because you don't need them.)

It isn't like WoW where you can add plugins.

What is allowed: Diablo II as it comes out of the box you purchased. Diablo II LoD as it comes out of the box you purchased.

That's it.

(SP have a couple of utilities but nothing you can use on the realms; mainly because you don't need them.)

BTW, whoever gets caught using a third party program while trading here, he will get banned instantly and permanently, including people who use that "magic hand" program. I don't care about excuses or promises of any kind, including the "my friend made that screenshot" story, the "I'm only using MH for ilvls" explanation and in particular not the "I will never use it again" lie.

An exception is ATMA while is allowed for single player muling and I probably won't ban people e.g. for using CD emulations in combination with trading.

Even at the risk of being flamed, I will now defend one theoretical use of a third-party program. Theoretical, because no such program exists.

Diablo II is the most bug-ridden game I know. I don't mean fire enchanted monsters bypassing your fire resistance, the character screen showing numbers way off target and all that in-game stuff - I mean the game is chronically unstable. While I play it on MacOS9, it frequently crashes when I exit a game, forcing me to reboot. What's worse, it can also cause my WLAN base station to crash, and by the time I reboot them both my muling game will be gone. On OSX where I play more often now it's better, but it is still the only program of any kind that consistently causes OSX to crash. I've had to learn the force quit key combination just for this game.

Suppose someone wrote a third-party program that does nothing else but ensure that when the game crashes, it makes a clean exit, allowing you to restart it without having to reboot everything else. If I found something like this, I'd take a good long look at the source code, but if it was clean of any hacks I would use it. It would enhance my gaming, but not the gameplay itself.

This is of course a moot point, since the makers of these 3rd party thingies are more interested in cheating.

Install Linux and run it e.g. with Wine. :wink3:

As I was reading this I looked at the abbreviation and figured it was probably a form of map hack. The lure of the dark side is strong, it seems.

My first impression in reading the topic title was that this was a hack which picked up items as they fall, before they even touch the ground, denying other players an equal chance to pick up items in public games. I've heard of such a thing existing, never saw it in action though.

There are so many of these things... one thing I have seen in action was a hack which enabled an amazon to use Charged Strike from a distance.

I believe that program was known as "pickit"

poison dagger

i don't use any third party apps other than ATMA, but i saw an amusing thing the other day. a gheeds charm dropped in game, and two people who both were running pickit (or else had the fastest drop-grabbing-click i've ever seen) tried to grab it, but couldnt as they already had them in stash, and the charm just bounced and bounced for like ten minutes while the non-cheating people also tried to sneak in a click.

Sadly I think a lot of people are using this. I just started playing this game and I've already seen 2 people using it, openly refering it to "MH" for magic hand. The conversation was like this: "Have you got MH up?" "Of course." "Good."

So if I'm brand new to the game and I've already seen 2 people with it... I'm thinking a lot of people are using it. =(

Oh well... Thanks for all the info everybody. Now I know to stay away from it.

Sadly I think a lot of people are using this. I just started playing this game and I've already seen 2 people using it, openly refering it to "MH" for magic hand. The conversation was like this: "Have you got MH up?" "Of course." "Good."

So if I'm brand new to the game and I've already seen 2 people with it... I'm thinking a lot of people are using it. =(

just dont intentionally download anything for diablo 2 and you'll be fine. its not like people can maliciously enforce any kind of hack onto you :grin:

Yeah. They're referring to Map Hack. Maybe someone confused the abbreviation.

Even at the risk of being flamed, I will now defend one theoretical use of a third-party program. Theoretical, because no such program exists.

Diablo II is the most bug-ridden game I know. I don't mean fire enchanted monsters bypassing your fire resistance, the character screen showing numbers way off target and all that in-game stuff - I mean the game is chronically unstable. While I play it on MacOS9, it frequently crashes when I exit a game, forcing me to reboot. What's worse, it can also cause my WLAN base station to crash, and by the time I reboot them both my muling game will be gone. On OSX where I play more often now it's better, but it is still the only program of any kind that consistently causes OSX to crash. I've had to learn the force quit key combination just for this game.

Suppose someone wrote a third-party program that does nothing else but ensure that when the game crashes, it makes a clean exit, allowing you to restart it without having to reboot everything else. If I found something like this, I'd take a good long look at the source code, but if it was clean of any hacks I would use it. It would enhance my gaming, but not the gameplay itself.

This is of course a moot point, since the makers of these 3rd party thingies are more interested in cheating.
Install Linux and run it e.g. with Wine. :wink3:
Such 3rd pp exists, according to krischan. Linux and Wine were never supported by D2, afaik. :tongue:

Such a program would work more on an OS level than on a specific program level. It would be ideal as an add-on to your OS that runs in the background the help any program run/exit smoothly and cleanly.
Anything specifically written for D2 would be in violation of the EULA, regardless of how pure the intentions behind it are.

That's it.

Oh no! Patches are illegal!!! We're all banned!

Congratulations, Voorhees. You win the awared for being "deliberately obtuse 2007". :rolleyes: But thanks for contributing. :thumbsup:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High