Moor Tournament! 2v2 Odd Couples!

Congrats you two! I didn't want to post that the winners would receive this extra bonus just to see how hard you'd duel without the extra awesome incentive. I also didn't mention that the bottom 2 get temp bans. So see you in a week, Naab and aitrus!
Thats just unfair.:cry:

w000t GG aman, zhao_yue.

Me and colony started off nicely, but then we got on the sloppy side and we haven't even really tried to get duels for some time now.

Congratulations to the winners. :thumbsup:

edit: at first I really though this was a joke, but aman is really the assasin forum mod :shocked:
Now I'm glad I didn't win, think of all the hassle being a mod, but my name in green would be cool, and that would give me an excuse to be here all the time, as someone says :wink3:

even more GG and congratulations to the winners ^^

Last edited:
Grats to the aman/zy and all who took part in this tourny.

I think DM's team could have made a last minute surge.

Right, Liq, where are those sucky 'tars? :wink:

Grats to Zhao and Aman for winning and all the others that participated, I really wish our team could of got a few more duels done but thats the way it goes. Should we post our chars/builds or anything?

Congrats Zhao and Aman for winning! :thumbsup:

Congrats Thyiad and Doomas for actually completing all matches, activity FTW! :thumbsup:

It was very nice idea and decent tourney (with more activity it would be pwntastic), team matches are great fun.

I got pretty lucky with my team mate, few times when I charged in completely wrong direction or died he surprised everyone with his surviving and killing skills. GG Sloth! :thumbsup: Too bad crappy timezones and our RL schedules prevented us from pwning more :tongue:

Who was she?

Name: Neo_Mayfair
Class: Sorceress
Build: Energy Shield and Blizzard
Level: 94

Godlike

It was rumored that Kabal would pull another cheap one and go with his Hammerdin and Bowazon combination. So I decided to use this character solely to counter that. Teamed up with Aman’s hard hitting traps, opponents were discomforted with 2 big elemental attacks.

Energy Shield was definitely a good investment as it improved survivability a lot. Coupled with max block and good defense, she tanked well. This investment cost me some synergy points for Blizzard, but the lower Blizzard damage wasn’t too bad, as it increased the chance for Aman to get the kill.

Living up to the company’s name, Blizzard is a good skill. Offensively, she could namelock someone that was running/teleporting away and hit them from offscreen. Runners were hit especially hard since going through a Blizzard field opened them up to multiple chances for hits. Defensively she could cast a Blizzard in front of her where the opponent will come in, or on top of herself for telestompers. There was a 1 second delay after Blizzard was cast where I could not teleport, but I didn’t find it bothered me much.

A mention to telekinesis – not a damaging skill, it was used more as a second Mindblast. When there was one opponent left, I’d revert to TK since I wanted to get Aman the kill. I’d just namelock TK and usually when an opponent is being stunned by 2 people, its lights out.

Aman helped by carrying an Insight staff on switch, when I needed a refill on gas from time to time.

What was she wearing?

Items
Cold Faucet Nightwing Veil
Crafted +2 Cold Ammy with FCR and other minor mods
Cold Faucet Death’s Fathom
Eld Stormshield
Beta Call to Arms
Spirit Monarch
Orted 1.07 Arkaine’s Valor
Trang Oul’s Gloves
Stone of Jordan x 2
Archanoid Mesh
Sandstorm Treks

Inventory
7 x Chilling Skillers (24 Life, 5 Dex)
2 x Serpents GC of Vita
1 x Serpents GC of Balance
10 x Vita SC with some resists

Stash

Wizardspike with Scintalizing Jewel of Knowledge
Cold Fauceted Occulus
Mara’s Kaleidoscope
Powered Amulet
Rare Belt with Cold Res, Life/Mana, FHR
Sanctuary Troll Nest
Um Kira’s Guardian
160 Cold Shield
160 Lightning Shield
2 x Dwarf Star
2 x Raven Frost
2 x Wisp Projector
Memory Staff

What did you do to bad people?

I had formulated a strategy specifically to fight against Kabal’s super combo, but since every single opponent we faced used a similar combo, we just went with the AntiKabal plan each time.

Basically, when faced with a Hammerdin and Bowazon, I would teleport in and encircle the 2 to catch both of their attention. Usually I’d throw a blizzard on top of them to scare the crap out of them and make them run. Aman would come from the opposite side and start attacking, gunning for the bowazon first. After the bowazon dies, we’d 2v1 the other person and it’d be gg.

If the protector of the opposing team decided to go after me, that was fine, as I would draw them away and it gave Aman an easier time to take out the Bowazon.

Vs Dark Sky [Deathmage (Mage) and Herobomberman (Bowazon)]

It was our first duel of the tournament so we were still getting used to the team. I was very sloppy as I let DM score multiple hammer hits on me which crippled me, and he could finish with a FoH. Going to DM host didn’t help matters, as the lag pretty much handcuffed my mobility. But with each passing round, I gained more experience so got better.

Vs Ravenous [Liquid_Evil (Windy) and Ray Patean (Bowazon)]

It was a very poor match up for Ravenous, as we essentially had our way with them. No matter what they tried, the build mismatch was too much for them to overcome. Aman should have gotten more kills, but he hadn’t learned to be overly offensive yet. He also learned not to standing in the middle of the moor with the mediation stick.

Vs Carnage [xDoomasx (BvA) and Thyiad (Bowazon)]

It was unfortunate for Thyiad’s sour mood, as it negatively affected their gameplay. This was where my defenses shone as Doomas kept on attacking me with minimal effect. But Aman truly blossomed as he cleaned up the first 3 rounds. I think Carnage got cleverer and started to double team Aman near the end, so I had to step in and save the day.

Vs Mantis [Nex (Vanquisher) and LazySlothMan (Bow/Poison)]

Things went as planned in round 1 but they fall apart after that. I’m chasing and toying around with Sloth and he managed to hit me with a Poison Javelin before I put him out of his misery. Aman must have been hit too, because we both were at 1 hp. It didn’t help that I was Life Tapped earlier by nex so we were both in trouble.

Nex gets in a lucky strike and takes down Aman. I’m laying Blizzards in his path while being leery of his Charge. I whittle him to ~50 health and he charges right through a Blizzard and actually manages to land a hit. Too bad.

We get to Nex’s host and it’s basically unplayable for both of us. I can safely say that was the worst lagged game ever. We do round 3, nex charges me while I’m on the wrong side of a pit and a delay of 3 seconds later I’m dead. It didn’t help that Aman was not hostiled at the time.

Round 4 I managed to take out nex as he tried to foolishly get away and I was left with Sloth. Should have been a piece of cake but the lag was hindering me so much that I couldn’t teleport or get a simple namelock and he manages to steal it.

Round 5 was back to normal as we came back to our original gameplay.

Vs Scorpion [Colony (Boner) and Zarfen (Bow/Poison)]

I was expecting Colony’s BvA but we got his boner (in sync, Zarfen had a banana in his pocket). Because of this, it was not a good matchup for them as his boner neither enhanced the zon nor could protect it. First three rounds we sneezed in their direction and they fell down.

Zarfan finally manages to use the poison in round 4 effectively before he goes down. Even at 1 hp, Aman valiantly tackles Colony but goes down. Colony in that round chose to be annoying and use a meditation stick in lieu of Call to Arms. So it was basically me chasing him around the moor for 10 minutes, most irritating. This was where my 9 FCR came to bite me back in the butt. Finally I nail him but not before I developed a headache.

Round 5 is about the same, but this time I said to myself to screw it and let Colony kill me since I didn’t want to spend the next 10 minutes chasing him around again.

Bloodlust and Wolfbane managed to get away, it was too bad since it would have been nice not to duel a bowazon for once. I’ll just laugh and point at them from atop my mountain. :cloud9:

A big thanks to Liquid and Thyiad for creating and managing this tournament. Now let’s see those shiny new sexy avatars! :thumbsup:

Big congrats to the winners :thumbsup:

Big boo for low attendance, and yes, I know we are the worst in that dept. :embarassed:

Tourney is officially over. Thanks for participating everyone. I'd like to apologize with my own lack of points (am getting back into b.net), I just didn't make the time I should have.

I lost the avatar template I was working on so it might be more appropriate for one of the winning teams to submit one that we all wear. (Just 1 tar, the same for all). I'm also passing the hosting buck to Thyiad. It's gonna be her ideas and her main threads in these challenges for a while. (Will give *me* a chance to be the lucious cohost) Anyway, thanks for playing everyone.

edit: the aman/zhao = mods and naab/aitrus = banned was a joke. aman won assy mod indepently of this...(breathe easy naab)

Tourney is officially over. Thanks for participating everyone. I'd like to apologize with my own lack of points (am getting back into b.net), I just didn't make the time I should have.

I lost the avatar template I was working on so it might be more appropriate for one of the winning teams to submit one that we all wear. (Just 1 tar, the same for all). I'm also passing the hosting buck to Thyiad. It's gonna be her ideas and her main threads in these challenges for a while. (Will give *me* a chance to be the lucious cohost) Anyway, thanks for playing everyone.

edit: the aman/zhao = mods and naab/aitrus = banned was a joke. aman won assy mod indepently of this...(breathe easy naab)

Lol you really thought i fall for that?:shocked:
GG Team Zhao btw.

If I may suggest a 'tar as they played rubbish ...

Good write up ZY and you want to mention what caused my sour mood? :p

The next tourney ideas are already pretty fleshed out and they will be 1v1s. I could do with an idea of who is interested by PM/post if you wouldn't mind. I could also with an idea of where you are: IE Americas or Europe or Australia/Asia.

Last edited:
I shall be returning to PvP glory, hopefully in early June. Count me in. Central time zone -6 gmt

crg

Last edited:

Looks good, subtle yet effective. I'd love to put the word ******s on the picture, but it probably won't fit. :azn:

Good write up ZY and you want to mention what caused my sour mood? :p

Calling you 'lucious' that day was a definate turn off for you.

Edit: That is a bad word? It's just an english word for stupid people. It's just funny sounding.

GG :thumbsup:

The next tourney ideas are already pretty fleshed out and they will be 1v1s. I could do with an idea of who is interested by PM/post if you wouldn't mind. I could also with an idea of where you are: IE Americas or Europe or Australia/Asia.

I'm interested. Gib more info about tourney quickly :smiley:

South-east Europe, GMT+1 timezone.

My character for this tourney OneHotMinute was a GA/Poison zon teamed with nex's hammer/charge pally and we fared reasonably well :smiley:

My Gear:

Andy's Visage/15 IAS jewel
or
68% Kira's/15 IAS 29% Light Res Jewel
Windforce/Shael
Foritude (lent by nex)
Eth Treks
Nos' Coil
Dracs
Cat's Eye
Dual Ravens/Wisp

7 or 8 Sharp GC's of sustenance or Vita (lent by nex), then a mix of SC's of balance or Shimmering or vita depending on the situ..

She was running around with over 2k life thanks to nex's beta cta and +life from charms etc

In the stash I had a lot of stuff i didnt use, deaths gloves, dwarf star, hotspur etc

My (very poor) recollections of the battles:

Zhao and Aman:

Not a good idea to play the leaders when you havent played your character in PvP only once before.. lets just say it was a fast learning experience and the first round rather than being OneHotMinute was a TwentySecondsDead wake up call.
We rallied though and started moving around more and trying to play as a unit but compared to later rounds we were very slapdash..
As Zhao mentioned I was able to poison Jav them one round to 1hp and another round I actually scored a kill which was amazing as my arrows had ES/Stomshield etc to get through all whilst I got very lucky with the randomness of blizzard shards missing me on two occasions (which was more than enough to kill me)

Doomas and Thyiad:

We played this match straight after ZY and Aman with a bowy and barb combo against us it was a close matchup, the first round we were too aggresive and all i remember was getting too close to doom and maniacally trying to switch to my shield and run away yet one wirl destroyed me.. So I went back to the drawing board with my gear and we took it a little more easy as thy and Doom seemed to be so defensive I just kept the arows flying at the corner they were behind managing to get hits every so often and kills as a result.. Doom and Thy suffer with nex's ping and its game over..

DM and Bombs

A mirror image nearly of our combo with GA zon and pally and as a result it was close! I was fanatical about keeping my valk and decoy out in front and firing constantly (nearly ran out of 2x stack of arrows in one elongated match!) and also working on the angles of firing.. also compared to earlier rounds we really worked as a unit with nex generally staying close (except for that one time he stopped to refresh BO and got pwnded)... generally it all paid off with most duels Bombs going down before i did and DM taking a few hits (i think)
One thing i couldnt believe was that when left alone with DM (especially the last round) he didnt simply tele-hammer me, maybe he didnt have nigma on at the time and charge was broken, maybe it was late or maybe there was bad lag for it but DM kept his distance maybe trying to de-sycnh or something (if he was hosting I have no lag though so does that not help de-synch's cause?) and that was too my gain as I managed to kill him once or twice..

Anyway it was great fun, I had a great team-mate in nex, and the duels were generally close run things!
PvP is now my largest motivation to play D2 (previously it was MF and the grail) as a result of the fun of participating and competing in such a good community of players :sunny:

Last edited:
Warning: this will be a long post.

My char:

Name: Tyrael
Class: Pally
Build: Mage (Foh/Hammer)
Level: 91

Gear:
Um'd Shako
Hoto
35 fcr spirit sacred targe
Enigma BP
Maras
Arachs
Magefists
fcr ring/soj
Waterwalks

I had built this guy about a month prior to the tourney, he had done very well in random pvp games and I was very pleased with him, allthough he had not competed in any tourney dueling before. Bombs and I decided to go for a bowy/hammer combo seeming as they do very well (kudos to aman and zhao for countering this) it seemed obvious to choose that seeming bombs allready had a bowy from the vets V novices tourney and I wanted to give my mage a go. I also considered using a pure hammerdin but I went against it thinking that if bombs was taken out quickly (god forbid) I would have an attack that I could play aggressive with if needed. Although we only got 3 duels done i'll post a summary of each of the ones we did get completed.

The general strategy for any hammer/bowy combo is for the pally to stand on top of the zon and spam hammers while the bowy does the same, in the general direction of the opposition. Although alot of our duels were played very differentaly.

Team Alpha Dog (Zhao/Aman) Vs Team Dark Sky (DM/Hero)

Round 1: I started off the tourney chasing zhao around, hoping for some namelock hammers, I got them and took out zhao. While all that was happening aman managed to take out bombs, shortly followed by him teleing into a hammer field.

Round 2: Aman took the bait and teled right into another hammer field, I started fohing zhao but he managed to get a blizz on top of me and was game over, after a short wait bombs fell also.

Round 3: Good round for us, I once again played cat and mouse with zhao and took him out, we chased aman around for several minutes but bombs got him.

Round 4: Bad round for us good round for zhao, I chased him around but ran right into the firing line of about 3 traps, ouch. Still i insisted on chasing zhao but I ate one of his blizzs and it was lights out, after about 30 seconds bombs droped too.

Round 5: I managed to FoH aman to death before eating several shards of a blizzard thanks to zhao, after a lengthy wait zhao took out bombs, GG guys.

Team Carnage (Thiad/Doomas) vs Team Dark Sky (DM/Hero)

Round 1: I took advantage of the good ping and straight away teled on top of thyiad and took her out, after chasing doomas around for a while bombs picked him off.

Round 2: I tryed to play the same strategy as last time, didn't work, I ate a ton of arrows and was forced to retreat behind bombs. Which himself ate a few to many arrows and went down, after waiting a while I went on the aggressive again and managed to get a namelock hammer on thyiad and took her out. I was charging around setting up hammer fields when I ran into a random whirl of doomas, how embaressing :embarassed:.

Round 3: Bad round for us, with doomas hosting I couldn't tele around very well I let my guard down and very quickly doomas took out bombs with a few whirls, I was charging around and was hit by alot of arrows leaving me on very low hp, doomas took me out with his stupid widow :prop:

Round 4: Thyiad went on a rampage taking bombs out withing 20 seconds, I decided to try and take her out but didn't succeed and I to bit the dust.

Round 5: This round I thought what the hell what have we got to lose and charged thy right from the start and managed to take her out in seconds, I retreated back to bombs and we slowly moved forward but doomas managed to get a few quick whirls on bombs and took him out, followed by me taking revenge. GG guys

Team Mantis (Nex/Sloth) vs Team Dark Sky (DM/Hero)

Round 1: Didn't know what kind of pally nex was, I soon found out the hard way :laugh:, teleing right into a hammer field, g'night. After a long wait bombs was taken out by sloth

Round 2: This duel was a long one, bombs lasted about 5 mins before eating a few to many arrows. The moor had a rectangular shaped box in the middle and I ran around that getting nex and sloth to chase me, everytime they would get close I would tele onto one of them and let off a few hammers then retreat. This lasted about 15 minutes. It finally payed off and I took out nex, with no more protection sloth was ezpk.

Round 3: I charged at sloth and let off a FoH on him, shortly after I seemed to be hit by an amount of arrows sufficient enough to take out the spf dueling community. After about 5 mins bombs succumbed to sloth also.

Round 4: I let loose on this round, teleing right into the middle of them and let off about 20 hammers, took them both out.

Round 5: Bombs ran up to them and let off some arrows at nex but was taken out by him, he got a bit to close to me and ate a couple of hammers and fell. I was left on very little hp and was easy picking for sloth. GG guys.

Thanks to Liq for organising this tourney and all of the competitors. See you in the moor guys! :smiley:

edit: @ sloth the reason I didn't play more aggressive is because i didn't know when/if nex had put up a hammer field, and I didn't have smite either : D

Last edited:
Well thanks again for everyone for participating. 2v2 SP duels have some innate timezone problems, especially when the group of players are from every corner of the globe. I didn't set a very good example as host but I'm glad some of you were able to take charge and coordinate effectively. Thanks for the trash talk, the good duels, and all the ears. See you in the moor!

And Thyiad has spoken! Rubbish 'tars for a week! (Or longer if you're Sint)

Congrats to the winners.

Because I rudely chickened out in the very beginning of the tourney, with selfish reasoning, I feel it's the right thing to do for me to join the team rubbish. :T

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High