Phoenix shield good on pvp barbs?

LanceD

Oct 27, 2005
Phoenix shield good on pvp barbs?

Im thinking about taking apart my bvc, and either making a new barb or an assassin. But if I make a new barb I'm thinking about using a phoenix monarch, mostly for the extra damage without using fortitude. And i also like the idea of using fort+phoenix for the crazy damage. After looking through some of the guides, there is rarely any mention of using phoenix monarch on a barb.

I actually really started thinking about making a barb that used phoenix after I dueled another barb that used it. I have a lvl90 bvc, I would say I'm pretty decent, and he was lvl 84. Well I challenge him to a duel, so we ww into each other and after the ww Im like DAMN!! He took left me down to about 1/4 of my life after that ww. He killed me after a couple more ww's, so i go to my stash, slap on a storm shield and dungos and duel him again and he still kills me. Alright that didn't work, so I went ahead and slapped on my coa, put away my stormshield and put my beast back on, and enchant myself with demonlimb. Well he still hands me my ***.

So after talking to him a bit, he said that he had only 3.8k life, about 2k less than mine. I didn't get to ask him if he was a bva or bvb or what and if he was max block(im guessing he was).

But anyway, back to the topic...Is there any ww barb guides that utilize phoenix in their build? Also is there anyone out there that plays pvp and uses phoenix shield?

I dont think there is such a guide. IMHO, this shield dont belong into PvP, never tested it myself though.

Phoenix monarch have horrible chance to block, you will need crap loads of dex to get max block with it.

Also i'm pretty sure you will have better damage with grief / beast and more hit checks.

Only randoms ever consider using Phoenix after seeing the horrible blocking. It adds no blocking, thus your shield-block is at 47%, which turns out like this:

Non-eld Stormshield:
203 dex -> 75% block

Phoenix
203 dex -> 49% block
302 dex -> 75% block

There's a difference of 99 stats. Now that's cool. It's a total of 396 life before bo and 946.44 life AFTER bo. And that's not even considering the base dex of 133 required with a non-eld SS. Now, that's 86 stats more than a BvC. For a total of 185 less stats, meaning 740 life before bo or 1769 life after bo. Now, with the same base str as a BvC, you would end up with 4493 life at lvl 90. Compare that to the 5440 of a barbarian using Stormshield. A difference of 907 life. And yes, that is a lot of lost life right there.

I guess his point is he wants to know if the extra damage is worth the loss of life/blocking.

No, I don't think there are any guides to help you out.

I have heard of barbs on this forum who use phoenix, but dunno if it was for pvp though.

Sounds like it is worth testing, considering how badly you described that guy beating you.

Last edited:
its been tested many times before if it was any good at all you would see it in more pvp guides your survivability will go down to far if you use phoenix and the extra dmg boost wont even out so youll have less life and not enough damage to make up for it

phoenix is junk as u can see for this dmg increase u lose alot of hp, not to mention you wont be able to get max dr, like the typical bvb setp where u wear an arreat + stormshield and dungos u will need to subsitute a CoA in to make up for the lost of dr.

The only chars that can use these shields are palas due to the fact it can be made in a high block pala shield and combined with holy shield makes max block much easier to achieve alot of smiter killers use these, Secondly a dex bowazon with it on switch with titans on switch even this a stormshield is the more chosen option due dr, giving some tanking ability.

Also you do more dmg duelwielding anyway for a barb..

btw a bvc does not have block so unless ur using a stormshield and have crap block or if u are using maxblock ur a BvA, secondly no bva will be walking arround with 3.8k hp thats ridiculously low even for a bvb.

And if u are a bvc vs a BvB u can't expect to compete on the same level, i.e whirl for whirl due to the fact a BvC has no block and a much lower defence compared to a solid built bvb.

btw a bvc does not have block so unless ur using a stormshield and have crap block or if u are using maxblock ur a BvA

Mcm can achieve 70% block with 15k def/ar and of course hit the 37% FCR breakpoint. This is done via the usage of wizgloves, EBotdZ and whatnot.

secondly no bva will be walking arround with 3.8k hp thats ridiculously low even for a bvb.

Well, with perfect +life, this guy would end up with 4500 life at lvl 90.

Hey thanks for the advice replies guys. I think I'm going to reconsider making a pvp phoenix using barb, don't know yet I think i might try it out and scrap it if it sux.

Btw, when I used SS my block is around 55?? I don't know for sure because I can't check right now. When I was dueling him, after he beat me the first time while i was dual wielding, I thought I'd switch to the ss and dungos for max dmg reduction. I have a coa that i found myself, but unfortunately it only has 1 socket, so i didn't use it. He kept killing me so he most likely was a bvb.

Also, If a 2 bvbs dueled, both with the standard bvb setup; only difference is one has phoenix shield and the other has storm shield, who wins the most in your opinion? Does the 35% dmg reduce cancel out the enhanced damage from phoenix? Or does the ed from phoenix overpower it?

Also, If a 2 bvbs dueled, both with the standard bvb setup; only difference is one has phoenix shield and the other has storm shield, who wins the most in your opinion?

The Stormshield using one. The other has at MOST 23% DR, which just isn't going to cut it. Plus, the Stormshield using one will have lots and lots more life.

My PvM barb uses phoenix and while the extra damage is nice, just as everyone else said the blocking is horrible, but the worst part is the useless firestorm it casts 40% of the time on striking. Its seems bugged in the way it doesnt allow you to swing while its being cast, (I noticed the torch's firestorm doesnt have this delay) as it costs 2-3 swings. However I still have to use it b/c my weapon is a grief sword and i havent found a good enough weapon to duel with. If you're a WW barb the firestorm doesnt matter that much but for any other type it's really a nuisance.

Ever tried Phoenix Ageis? I heard they have higher block....

The difference is 2%'s. You would still need 291 dexterity. Not to mention the huge str requirement of 219. That's another 63 wasted statpoints, meaning another 602 less life along with the 88 you lose from dexterity for a total loss of 1444 life compared to a regular BvB.

Just tossing this out there, it seems like the cube recipe, safety amulet, can raise your block up to 10%.

And the ward would at least require less strength than the aegis.

Last edited:
Im thinking about taking apart my bvc, and either making a new barb or an assassin. But if I make a new barb I'm thinking about using a phoenix monarch, mostly for the extra damage without using fortitude. And i also like the idea of using fort+phoenix for the crazy damage. After looking through some of the guides, there is rarely any mention of using phoenix monarch on a barb.

I have a BvC and IMO Phoenix Barbs blow, i own them.. ez with just beastZ and Ebotdz.

Although, I believe a pheonix barb could be useful. But it would be the same as.. lets say.. Fort and SS. Just 100%ed difference (IF you get a decent Pheonix). I would say Conc would be the best bet with a pheonix barb.

COA ber CHAM/40/15ias
ETH UP'D Shaft (Glitched Perferred) /40/15ias
Dungos - Or a rare belt that gives ias and nice dex/str life.. so on etc.
Dracs/ias gloves
Up'd Gores
Angelic Ammy
Angelic Ringx2 - Or if you go with.. 40/15ias ber coa use 1x raven (Raven is good too caus eof the +20 dex that adds to the pheonix blockage
Weapon would be up to you.. Not for sure on this..Some type of Zerker axe alot of choices out there.. :)

IMO that would be a fun build with an inv full of 32020s. I think it would be decent :)

Use Stormshield and Ber it for PvP.

As for as it goes for Max Block, all you gotta do is add 3 points to dex every lvl to keep it at 75% Chance to Block.

:jig:

Just tossing this out there, it seems like the cube recipe, safety amulet, can raise your block up to 10%.

And the ward would at least require less strength than the aegis.

Actually, this isn't a horrible idea, especially when capping the block out.

I'm not much into pvp but...

10% blocking
+2 Barb Skills
+30 Str
+60 Life
+9% Life leech

sounds good to me :)

Are you saying you can get all those stats from an amulet?

It does mean you won't be getting the AR bonus from angelic combo. So I'm not sure how badly that would affect your build.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High