Iron Golem Question

krovak

Feb 9, 2006
Iron Golem Question

I just made a new poisonmancer for MFing in the pits and instead of going the common poison/skele way(i already have one necro like that) i chose golem mastery as a support skill. I decided to make an iron golem even though i am a big fan of clay golem, just because:

1) i haven't seriously made an IG so far
2) with my gear, pits on /players 1 is awfully easy even without a golem
3) it could be fun

I was thinking about using a 4 socket pala shield with some resists like this:

Kurast Shield
Defense: 167
Chance to Block: 45%
Smite Damage: 10 to 82
Durability: 45 of 55
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 124
Required Level: 55
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0xbe865460
All Resistances +32
Socketed (4: 0 used)

and 4 perfect skulls(attacker takes 80 damage). That should make the golem immune to all elements while returning some more damage to the attackers.

Now to my questions.

1) Would 80 damage returned be noticeable at all? (any better suggestions for the item?)
2) When casting the golem, are the +summoning skills when the golem is first cast applied forever(until the IG dies), or the golem is always "recast" with each start of a new game(with current +skills). I mean, is it a good idea to pump as many +skills from equipment, charms, maybe a shrine/battle command when casting the IG and then replace it with +p&b skills?

Thanks!:wink3:

1) Would 80 damage returned be noticeable at all? (any better suggestions for the item?)

It would be noticeable if it were applied for every frame the creature attacks, but AFAIK it is just a total of 80 damage per attack. Not worth it.

2) When casting the golem, are the +summoning skills when the golem is first cast applied forever(until the IG dies), or the golem is always "recast" with each start of a new game(with current +skills).

The IG is recast every time you enter a new game. It is then cast at the skill level you have upon entering the game.

Oh great and powerful Mad Mantis, are you quite certain of that? Because if that is indeed the case, then I need to take off all my MF gear and put on my summoning prebuffs every time I change games (when killing is involved) in order to have my IG at peak efficiency. That would be a MAJOR pain in the tuckus.

Or, I could cast IG whenever, and then put on my prebuffs and leave and come back and voila, instant golem studliness?

2) When casting the golem, are the +summoning skills when the golem is first cast applied forever(until the IG dies), or the golem is always "recast" with each start of a new game(with current +skills). I mean, is it a good idea to pump as many +skills from equipment, charms, maybe a shrine/battle command when casting the IG and then replace it with +p&b skills?

A iron golum is only useful for a summon necro with rivives or skeleton. All monsters/ summons will get thorns this way, and at lvl 20 golum, they will have about 420 damage return. Its not a primairy offence but it kills a lot faster..

1 - if you have only 80 thorns is hardly noticable.. And in hell all creatures have +50% psysical resist so you have only 30% dmg returned left.. Thas about 1/3 the creature would deal 2 you.. So that wont work..

2- if you need to recast your gulum you will need a item, if its an iron golum.. How better the item how better your golum. But it costs items.. If you have a weapon with ...% 2 cast lightning when struck or something, that the golkum gets, +dmg of the weapon and the magical ability..

But if i were you with a poison/necro i woudnt make an iron golum. Its only useful for summoners..

Clay golum is a better idea.. ;)

Enjoy

All monsters/ summons will get thorns this way

Actually I am quite sure they won't get it.

...you have only 80 thorns is hardly noticable.. And in hell all creatures have +50% psysical resist so you have only 30% dmg returned left..

I don't quite understand your calculation, but anyway, i agree that 80 (or 40 after physical res.) damage returned will hardly kill anything.

2- if you need to recast your gulum you will need a item, if its an iron golum..

The golem is automatically recast each time you enter a new game without the need of an item(unless it died in the previous game ofc).

@all: Thanks for the replies. It is a bad news for me that the IG is always recast with the current +skills. I'll probably make one from hwanin's refuge, it seems to me as the best option.

You can put 4 SOL runes in the shield and have a Iron Golem which is Immune to Poison, Fire, Lightning, Cold and has damage reduced by 28. Or am I wrong here? :rolleyes:

You can put 4 SOL runes in the shield and have a Iron Golem which is Immune to Poison, Fire, Lightning, Cold and has damage reduced by 28. Or am I wrong here? :rolleyes:

Yes, I was thinking about that, too. Too bad my IG still dies from time to time(4 Sols with each extra strong Lister/bosspack...:rolleyes: )

Nope. However even Summon Resist and his own resists factor in so you won't need that much to make him elementally immune.

useless. why make this IG??? you're wasting runes and the item to make a crappy IG

I was thinking of using beast for IG, but can soemone tell me wat lvl should m golem mastery or IG skill points to be inorder nt to die.. Its kinda heart pain to use a beast and it died.. haha

I was thinking of using beast for IG, but can soemone tell me wat lvl should m golem mastery or IG skill points to be inorder nt to die.. Its kinda heart pain to use a beast and it died.. haha
From what I hear, it's likely to die or disappear from lag or something anyway. So just make it if you have a lot of runes to spare. That is if you are playing online and not SP. 20 points into golem mastery will make it least likely to die from monsters. I don't think maxing out iron golem makes a big difference.

okie.. will try and let u guys know.. btw wat is the highest life a IG have?

or should i get the other golem like ****.. the life for tat is 17k.. damn.. very high

okie.. will try and let u guys know.. btw wat is the highest life a IG have?

or should i get the other golem like ****.. the life for tat is 17k.. damn.. very high
Use the necro pet calculator here, http://tph.tuwien.ac.at/~gottwald/necro_pet_calculator.html

Keep in mind that the CTA runeword will give you the barbarian's battle orders skill, which you can use to give your IG more life.

Edit: Although it doesn't seem to make a big diff on the pet calculator for some reason. For either golems or skeletons. According to it, lvl 40 skeletons with no skeleton mastery have 409 life. With the +152% life from lvl 40 Battle orders, they have 441 life. :/ BO must only affect the life of lvl 1 skeletons and not the life gained from additional levels.

Last edited:
Although it doesn't seem to make a big diff on the pet calculator for some reason.

The reason for this (for the skeletons at least) is the fact that lvl40 skellies already have +1850% hp. That lvl40 BO actually adds less than 8% hp for them.
Golems are similar. Here BO adds to bonus from Golem Mastery and Blood Golem synergy.

At least this is how the calc does it. I'm assuming it is correct.

I assume that is how it works too. But, it would be nice if you could use it to boost your IG's life. :/

i thought that iron golem was cool and made my necro with 20 golem mastery. the IG had 6k+ life, but it died instantly when it got amplify damage. this sucks. i made it from insight and was thinking as a mana source. damn.

i thought that iron golem was cool and made my necro with 20 golem mastery. the IG had 6k+ life, but it died instantly when it got amplify damage. this sucks. i made it from insight and was thinking as a mana source. damn.
My heart breaks for you. :(

Many people still use insight with IG, but those people have a lot of runes.

its harder to find the polearms then to find the runes, unless you're one of those people that always run baal and needs a low dmg voulge or something.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High