Clan_iraq's Guide to THORNS DAMAGE in PVP

iamclaniraq

Banned
Dec 24, 2006
Clan_iraq's Guide to THORNS DAMAGE in PVP

This covers all sources of Thorns; Thorns Aura, Spirit of Barbs, Iron Golem, and Iron Maiden:

Hopefully after reading this you will understand why a charger can kill a thorns pally in 1 hit, taking maybe 100 damage in return, and laugh, but they charge that Summoner druid and kill himself in 1 hit, even though the Grizzly's not even dead yet!

The reason thorns is so impotent in PvP is that it suffers both the PvP and DR penalties TWICE, once on you, and once on the returnee.
Say you have 1000% return thorns aura. Sounds good. You and the enemy WW barb both have 50% DR, he hits you with a 2000 damage WW. This is what happens:

2000 Damage hits you
2000 is reduced by 1/6 PvP penalty = 333
333 is reduced by 1/2 DR penalty = 167

167 damage is reflected at 1000% = 1670 Damage to target
1670 is reduced by 1/10 PvP penalty = 167
167 is reduced by 1/2 DR penalty = 83

Your "1000%" return is really only returning 50% overall. Now lets say you both have -20 damage, from normal item mods.

2000 --> 333 --> 167 --> 147 --> 1470 --> 147 --> 74 --> 54
You take 147, he takes 54. Less then 50%.
*Thorns returns at 1/10, all other effects (like IM) return at 1/6

So overall, you'd need nearly 2000% return just to be returning 100% of the damage you take. Fairly unrealistic, considering you're also taking flat, unreturned elemental sources of damage.

Now, what happens if you hit a SUMMONED unit, like a Grizzly or Iron Golem?
The DR penalty is only applied once:

2000 Damage hits grizzly
2000 is reduced by no PvP penalty = 2000
333 is reduced by no DR penalty = 2000

2000 damage is reflected at 1000% = 20000 Damage to target
20000 is reduced by 1/6* PvP penalty = 3333
3333 is reduced by 1/2 DR penalty = 1667

That same WW that would have dealt 167 damage to you, deals 1667 back to him when it hits your bear.
Effectively, you are returning exactly 1000% of the damage, instead of 50% Very big difference.

So how do we use this in PvP?
Have your opponent somehow melee a summon, not yourself. For example, minion stacking will render Zeal a suicide skill. I should note that as of 1.10, Bone Walls no longer reflect damage with any form of thorns, nor can you leech off them. So you can't simply bone prison/iron maiden someone.

PS- Further calculations will show you that each 1% of Life Leech will negate 12% of return when hitting a summon; 50% Life Leech will negate 600% return

I can only back you up, iamclaniraq. I've tried that and it does works. Now, I have a couple of questions for you.

If I wore an Edge bow and Bramble, would the aura stack for up to 36 lvl Thorns? Also, would you recommend using a 40ish level SoB or Bramble (+Edge, perhaps)?

Seems like you'd need all the run/walk you could possibly get and massive +skills would be imperative for this build. Any specific builds in mind?

EDIT: Also, is Spirit of Barbs (or any other spirit for that matter) unleechable? I think I used strategic SoB placement as a way of killing players I couldn't kill with the Grizzly alone back in the days.

Yeah, the thorns aura will stack, its one of my favorite builds on a necro, stack up thorns to ridicoulous lvls, then amp the enemy to get rid of dr% and its nasty effects :p, and then let the enemy wack your skeles around, ll% cant touch that :prop:

Clan Iraq,

I have been thinking of a few builds to try when the next ladder season starts, and one of them is a damage return Werewolf that uses the lowest level possible Spirit Wolves (due to their numbers and low defense) to return the amount maximum of damage. I have few damage return questions that I hope you can answer (if you feel inclined to that is). These questions are based on 1800-2000% damage returned, and are for PVM.

1) If for example, an enemy does 1000 physical damage to a Spirit Wolf with 300 life (killing it), is the damage returned a function of the life of the Spirirt Wolf (350), or the damage dealt (1000)?

2) How does the defense of the target (in this case the Spirit Wolf) factor into the amount of damage that is returned?

3) How does the defense of the attacker factor into the amount of damage that is returned?

Clan Iraq,

I have been thinking of a few builds to try when the next ladder season starts, and one of them is a damage return Werewolf that uses the lowest level possible Spirit Wolves (due to their numbers and low defense) to return the amount maximum of damage. I have few damage return questions that I hope you can answer (if you feel inclined to that is). These questions are based on 1800-2000% damage returned, and are for PVM.

1) If for example, an enemy does 1000 physical damage to a Spirit Wolf with 300 life (killing it), is the damage returned a function of the life of the Spirirt Wolf (350), or the damage dealt (1000)?

2) How does the defense of the target (in this case the Spirit Wolf) factor into the amount of damage that is returned?

3) How does the defense of the attacker factor into the amount of damage that is returned?

1) Damage dealt (1000)
2) It doesn't. In PvP, anyone with a melee attack will have a 95% chance to hit a spirit wolf, regardless of level.
3) Has no effect.

I was thinking of using this kind of strategy: Bramble+Marrowwalks+Max SOB. I can trap the Zealer in a bone prison with my Bear, Life Tap him, and when he zeals out there is a rather big splat...

I was thinking of using this kind of strategy: Bramble+Marrowwalks+Max SOB. I can trap the Zealer in a bone prison with my Bear, Life Tap him, and when he zeals out there is a rather big splat...

Why use Bone Prison anyway? When you can let him when he hit's your pets?

Clan Iraq,

Thanks for the clarifications. . . that means that this build will be even more effective than I had first thought(at least in PVM). I had previously thought that damage return was hampered by both the target's defense, and the attacker's defense, and based on the life of the target. Hence the maximum damage was a function of the maximum life of the Spirit Wolf in the example above, and would be "capped" at (300 x 1800 - 2000% - effects of defense) = 5700 - 6300 maximum damage returned. So in the example above that 1000 damage becomes (1000 x 1800 - 2000% - no effects of defense) = 19000 -21000 maximum damage returned! This damage will also "scale up" as enemies do more and more damage to the wolves, and I progress through the game, and all for a measly 15 mana (to re-cast a Spirit Wolf).

This place is dead.
I could spam it with tubgirl redirects and there would be no one around to ban me anyway.

You are positive Thorns stacks? Does SoB stack with Thorns? (I thought not)

Metalgrid- lvl 22 Iron Golem gives 465% dmg returned with his thorns aura (there's also Iron Maiden charges on the ammy)
Edge- lvl 15 thorns 810% dmg returned
Bramble- 15-21, 810-1050% dmg returned

Any other Thorns stuff?
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

I remember all that debacle a few months back.

Either way, that was pretty useful stuff. Kudos, Mr. Iraqi.

EDIT: Liquid, SoB and Thorns will both be calculated in the same hit if they are both present. So yeah, I guess you could call that stacking.

I've always found his posts mostly interesting

I made a werebear sin, but scrapped the idea eventually

damage is fairly low on the build in pvp, and too easily negated

Hey ya ClanIraq - i recalled having read your interesting threads about that 2fpa bearsin a year ago before i quit and returned last mth? Hows that going?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High