Best Gear-Independent MFer?

AnInsaneBanana

Nov 21, 2004
Best Gear-Independent MFer?

Hey everyone. I'm starting anew after about a year and a half of inactivity, and I was wondering what the best gear independent build so I can magic find some stuff for future builds.

When I left, it probably would have been a skelemancer to run the pit, or a Meteorb. Is that still the case?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Summoner necro
Hammerdin
Meteorb
Basically any build that doesn't depend on its weapon for its damage.

When I started out fresh, I made a Blizzard Sorc (Effecitive without good gear), run Meph over and over again until I got good tradebales (HoZ, Arach, Shako..) but that was when those Items were worth something:undecided: But at this late in the season I dont think Meph is the way to go since he cant drop the "godly" uniques. I have just made a BlizzBaller (Sorc with Max Blizz/FB) and she is doing quite well, good for The Pit's, WSK, Baal and other areas:cool: Cant really decide what char to make on the next reset:scratch: Something that can take Meph really fast:smiley: Hope a untwinked BlizzBaller can do it.

But one thing is certain, Killing speed > MF%. I'd rather do the WSK in 5 minutes with 300+ MF% than 700% in 40 minutes...those are just rough numbers, hope you get my point...im drunk now, hard to explain..hehe

any character can be a proficient MF'er. There are undoubtedly builds that excel at it. And it's usually sorcs...because they kill so quickly. It really depends on what YOU want to play. I have a regular ole' pally zealot who consistently turns up nice things. His MF is barely over 200%.

The best advice, honestly, that I can give you is to consult some drop tables. Find the item that you're looking for and find the monster you can kill MOST quickly that has a reasonable chance of dropping that item.

For example, a Council Member in Nightmare difficulty has roughly the same percentage chance of dropping a Mal rune as one in hell. Now, I know rune drops aren't governed by MF percentage, but I think you understand my point.

If not, let me clarify: the point is that since you can undoubtedly kill the Nightmare Council with much less difficulty the Hell Council...it makes more sense to do NIGHTMARE runs for that rune.

It's just an example, but it has helped me immenesely in my search for very specific things...especially runes.

Meteorber if you plan on Meph runs. Lightning/Fire Ball for Pit.

Summon Necros can do either.

Hamemrdins are awesome as well.

Necros and Hammerdins both rely on Engima for runs, so I would stick with a sorc.

I know you want to kill fast, but have you considered a barbarian?

I use frenzy on my mf barb, and although he doesn't kill super-fast, I essentially get 2x drops thanks to the find item skill. Sadly, mf barbs have fallen out of favor because other builds kill faster, etc, but using a barb takes care of many common problems like resists, life and defense.

My old blizzard sorc could never get decent resists and I would die quickly in hell. I found that a more durable character can survive in the upper levels of act 5, where nice items tend to drop.

GreyGhost said:
I know you want to kill fast, but have you considered a barbarian?

I use frenzy on my mf barb, and although he doesn't kill super-fast, I essentially get 2x drops thanks to the find item skill. Sadly, mf barbs have fallen out of favor because other builds kill faster, etc, but using a barb takes care of many common problems like resists, life and defense.

My old blizzard sorc could never get decent resists and I would die quickly in hell. I found that a more durable character can survive in the upper levels of act 5, where nice items tend to drop.

My blizz does fine in A5 Hell.

Full Tal
Spirit Shield
25 Mf ring, 29 mf Nagel
Marrow walks
Frostburns and Magefists

All I need is 2 soj's, lidless wall, and War Travs and I'll be complete.

All my res are positive but only lighning is maxed. Cold, Fire, and Poison are all around 50. I use CL and static on cold immunes. That's the main problem with act 5, so many cold immunes.

EDIT: btw I've tried a barb, and they're not too good for mf runs. They're great gold finders though. A singer barb with lotsa lems :) can run trav over and over. You can get like 500k per run if you're lucky.

Aiglos said:
any character can be a proficient MF'er. There are undoubtedly builds that excel at it. And it's usually sorcs...because they kill so quickly. It really depends on what YOU want to play. I have a regular ole' pally zealot who consistently turns up nice things. His MF is barely over 200%.

The best advice, honestly, that I can give you is to consult some drop tables. Find the item that you're looking for and find the monster you can kill MOST quickly that has a reasonable chance of dropping that item.

For example, a Council Member in Nightmare difficulty has roughly the same percentage chance of dropping a Mal rune as one in hell. Now, I know rune drops aren't governed by MF percentage, but I think you understand my point.

If not, let me clarify: the point is that since you can undoubtedly kill the Nightmare Council with much less difficulty the Hell Council...it makes more sense to do NIGHTMARE runs for that rune.

It's just an example, but it has helped me immenesely in my search for very specific things...especially runes.

Thanks, and Im sure that is great advice, but I wont even be able to get to hell under certain builds if I dont have to the gear to support them. Since im starting anew I need low-gear requirement chars.

I think GreyGhost makes a good point with the barbarian. I probably go with that and then a blizzball and see how that goes.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High