The Confused Necromancer

bigD72

Jun 28, 2003
The Confused Necromancer

I haven't started this project yet, nor do I currently have the equipment for him. But, this is something I'd like to eventually make and I would like some thoughts and input.

I'm calling it the Confused Necromancer because the skills of choice will be Fireball and Meteor (possibly Firewall not sure which will be better to use.)

He'd use Full Trang-Oul's obviously.

Skill points as follows for level 90 or higher.

1 point in all Curses
Up to 20 in Lower Resist [Probably 16 the way I'm looking at it] (I know HUGE diminishing returns, but I don't have much Fire Mastery to up the damage)
Up to 20 in Corpse Expolosion (A few corpse non-stop expolosion from a screen away :azn: )
20 points in Golem Mastery
5-10 in Summon Resis
5-10 in Fire Golem
Up to 20 in Blood Golem (Last skill to be worried about for Life Synergy on the tank that Fire Golem will be.)

Thinking about this for beating Hell solo (probably won't have to power level him if my merc can manage to kill everything for me until I start getting Trang's on.)

Probably a Defiance, Insight Mercenary.

Dream Equipment for the non-Trang spots being Mara's, Dwarf Star, Raven Frost, or Wisp Protector, Heart of the Oak, Waterwalks.

Leveling tatics would be whichever is my current most powerful (Tanking) golem us Amp or Iron Madien or Dim Vision or whatever curse the situation may call for then spam some CE after Amping.

An ecountering of monsters would probably look like this, throw up a Fire Golem in front of them, cast lower resists, Meteor and Fireball away until a corpse or 2 drops then spam Corpse Expolosion, no real need to amp when my Lower Resis will be (not nearly as good as amp) decent enough and larger radius.

definitely not cookie-cutter :)
only problem I see is fire-immunes, which are (I think) the most common in hell.

Even with non-immune monsters, I think the going will be slow. Also, the golem aura will attract monsters from quite a way off, so the golem and pobably merc will get swarmed a lot (*cough* attract *cough*). If this is the case, you might find firewall better. I have used a trang summoner before and find the firewall the most useful of the extra skills available.

Personally, I think you'll need a lot of patience to complete hell. However, it's a good idea, so try it, succeed and harvest the respect and adoration that this will surely bring.

DelBoy

Oh, I'm well aware of the FI's. However with my rather studly amount of lower resis won't I be able to break *most* of the immunities?

If not, I'll just cancel out the Fire Golem and use dim vision//amp damage for my merc to produce a corpse and then amp for a nice CE chain, I don't think the FI's will really be *that* big of a problem under those circumstances, do you?

Also would an obedience (runeword with -35% fire resis or some such,) be better than the insight? I mean I could potentially grab a couple of sojs and a wizspike and then I really shouldn't have any mana problems.

I'm hoping that people with really sound knowledge will correct / improve anything I say here, but as I understand it, when you use lower res on immune monsters, it is only a fraction as effective as normal (20% I think). In other words, they are no longer fire immune, just very resistant.

Also, CE is a mix of fire and physical damage, so you won't get the full oomph.

Lastly, I think you'll find that obedience RW will only be -fire res for the merc using it. It doesn't work like an aura.

But, despite all this, please do it and tell us about it.

btw, with full Trangs, I don't think you'll have mana problems (or res). A Carin Shard will also help, unless you have something you really want to use.

DelBoy

waflob said:
Lastly, I think you'll find that obedience RW will only be -fire res for the merc using it. It doesn't work like an aura.
Any idea where I could ask about this?
Even if it didn't apply to all monsters aura style, would it apply on his attack only or on the monster he is attacking, because even if it's the monster he is attacking that'd be pretty useful if I attacked the same monster for a quicker corpse.

Don't bother asking; he's right.

The type of -res in question only applies to the source's attacks, which is why there's an entirely different guide for a Sorceress wielding 'Infinity' herself than for a regular Lightning Sorc with an 'Infinity' Merc. You also don't generally see Fire Sorcs leaning towards 'Obedience' Mercs, or Cold Sorcs leaning towards 'Doom' Mercs.

Your build idea sounds pretty cool. Maybe instead of an Insight, go with an Infinity merc (if you can afford it) and you probably won't have to worry about Fire Immunes.

Conviction + Lower Resist = Dead Fire Immunes. Unless my assumption is incorrect about the two stacking.

This looks like a very intersting build.
This may be a stupid question but is eschutas a sorceress only weapon? If not, you could definitely use that for the extra fire damage.
Your merc could be the fire-immune killer right? or maybe you could put a couple points in summons and get a merc with that runeword that provides concentration. That might be a possability. Anyways, when you do make this guy, let us all know how he turns out. I'm interested in this, this could be a good ladder reset character (once i get trangs).
God luck :thumbsup:

The confused necromancer _has_ to have at least a point in confusion. It only makes sense :D

And I think you've got too much into lower res. It's got big "diminishing returns" after around level 10, I think.

If I were to make this character, he wouldn't be a necro.
He'd be a barb, with a 30/30 fire facet sword and wizardspike.
20 points in Warcry, Battle Orders and Taunt.

Stun them with WC, then plant meteors and firewalls all over.
Someone wrote a little report on it a while ago.

nickedoff said:
The confused necromancer _has_ to have at least a point in confusion. It only makes sense :D

And I think you've got too much into lower res. It's got big "diminishing returns" after around level 10, I think.

If I were to make this character, he wouldn't be a necro.
He'd be a barb, with a 30/30 fire facet sword and wizardspike.
20 points in Warcry, Battle Orders and Taunt.

Stun them with WC, then plant meteors and firewalls all over.
Someone wrote a little report on it a while ago.
Well, the point of the necromancer is for the corpse explosion and being able to use FULL Trang-Ouls.

Also, there will be 1 point in every curse a standard amongst any necromancer I build.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High