RW dilemma: Death vs CtA

nex

Aug 1, 2005
RW dilemma: Death vs CtA

I have enough runes left from my HF rushing to make one of these runewords.

Death
5 Socket Swords/Axes
Hel + El + Vex + Ort + Gul
100% Chance To Cast Level 44 Chain Lightning When You Die
25% Chance To Cast Level 18 Glacial Spike On Attack
Indestructible
+300-385% Enhanced Damage (varies)
20% Bonus To Attack Rating
+50 To Attack Rating
Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
50% Chance of Crushing Blow
+0.5-50% (per Character Level) Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)
+1 To Light Radius
Level 22 Blood Golem (15 Charges)
Requirements -20%

Pros:
- insane dmg
- huge CB
- very nice DS
- it's cheaper than CtA and I will still have some runes left
Heh, that thing has potential for higher dmg output than BOTD when you count in CB and DS. Just imagine eth Death zerker on zealot with Fortitude @ 4 fpa zeal *faints*
Cons:
- lack of IAS makes for very limitied usability, it's almost class specific RW, only fanatic zealot and frenzy barb have enough skill IAS to use it. (and I guess it's wet dream of every furysin but that's irrelevant for me).
- much cheaper Oath has comparable dmg (good roll) and great IAS for Mal only. No DS & CB though.

Call To Arms
5 Socket Weapons
Amn + Ral + Mal + Ist + Ohm
+1 To All Skills
+40% Increased Attack Speed
+250-290% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Adds 5-30 Fire Damage
7% Life Stolen Per Hit
+2-6 To Battle Command (varies)
+1-6 To Battle Orders (varies)
+1-4 To Battle Cry (varies)
Prevent Monster Heal
Replenish Life +12
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Pros:
- extra life & mana obviously
- every char can use it
Cons:
- In case of bad roll gain/cost ratio goes straight to hell. Ohm and Ist for +1 BO (3 after other bonuses) is ****ty investment IMO (yeah, I know I can prebuff it with +all skills. But still it sucks).

So, what would you do? I have no idea what to do. :undecided:

I would go for Death if these are the two you are going for. Personally I probobly would have made a Oath instead with the Mal rune (personally like that runeword more) and with the other stuff you should be able to do an Exile which is pretty much one of my favorite runewords.

But thats my opinion.

But Death is the choice 9 times out of 10 in this case between the two. The second is not worth the runes at all if you ask me.

Well, I have a zealot using Death... and for pvm the 60 IAS isn't a problem.

Put on Highlords, Andy's Visage and double IAS jewel your Hoz + Andy's = 60 IAS if you really are partial to dracul's for lifetap

Or Highlords, Andy's Visage, LoH = 60 IAS

That is my set up for pvm. I do 2-7k damage with 92% DS and 80 % crushing blow (duress). Cuts through p/8 baal like none other. Plus the glacial spike helps much more than you might think.

However an Oath with a Guillames Helm/Highlords/Gores does almost the same thing and with fortitude, Death may be an over kill in the damage department.

Personally I'd got with CtA, because although my zealot loved it, now that he's done, I don't get much use out of it. Also you already have a fortitude. Show the love to your casters!

Edit: if the mods allow I could lend you mine for a few days.

jantia said:
Personally I'd got with CtA, because although my zealot loved it, now that he's done, I don't get much use out of it. Also you already have a fortitude. Show the love to your casters!

Yeah, that's also my concern. Expensive thing for only one (or two) chars. But I'm not neglecting my casters, I bought Death's Fathom and made HOTO for them :cool:

jantia said:
Edit: if the mods allow I could lend you mine for a few days.

Thanks for the offer, but I can imagine and simulate with other equipment what Death does. But you could teleport yourself to SPTF and state your price for that skiller you offered few days ago in my thread :wink3:

I'd definitely make a CtA. Due to Death's lack of IAS, it's only useful for a very few characters... Zealot mainly. CtA on the other hand is very useful for almost every character, even to some non-Barbarian melee builds("some" because melee builds usually have very few +skills). For characters with lots of +skills, CtA makes a very noticeable difference in efficiency.

CtA = One of the most versatile character building blocks in the game.
Death = Zealot's dream.

Edit:
Denton said:
even to some non-Barbarian melee builds("some" because melee builds usually have very few +skills)
More explanation for why I wrote "some": Of course CtA is better than nothing even with no +skills at all, but usually there is something more worthwhile to be put on switch than a CtA with very few or no +skills from other equipment. Well you could keep the CtA in cube with you and equip it only to cast BC+BO, then switch back to something more useful for your weapon switch, but I don't think it's worth the trouble - with very few or no +skills that is...

Denton said:
I'd definitely make a CtA. Due to Death's lack of IAS, it's only useful for a very few characters... Zealot mainly. CtA on the other hand is very useful for almost every character, even to some non-Barbarian melee builds("some" because melee builds usually have very few +skills). For characters with lots of +skills, CtA makes a very noticeable difference in efficiency.

CtA = One of the most versatile character building blocks in the game.
Death = Zealot's dream.

I agree with all that excpt I would also add Frenzy barb to the Death list. The only way you can make death versitle enough for all characters is to put it into a phaseblade making the built in indestrutcable mod useless. Go with CTA to benefit more characters and if you have a mal left over, make another OATH.

monsinour, [darthvaderinsidemyhead]noooo![/] You got me there. I wonder why I forgot to include Frenzy barb. Well good that you mentioned it.

Hmm, what an unnecessary reply. Well, post count +1.

I would say Death (mainly for zealot) it is one very nice end-game weapon.

As for CtA, allthough it is nice, it's only a "on the switch weapon". For SC/PvM the bit of more life usually doesn't make a huge difference. (if you play HC or PvP it might be different though)

Randall

PS.
Or do a few more HF rushed and take both :evil:

Randall said:
I would say Death (mainly for zealot) it is one very nice end-game weapon.

As for CtA, allthough it is nice, it's only a "on the switch weapon". For SC/PvM the bit of more life usually doesn't make a huge difference. (if you play HC or PvP it might be different though)

Randall

PS.
Or do a few more HF rushed and take both :evil:
Seconded.
Exactly my thoughts.

Death in an Zerker like this

Berserker Axe
One-Hand Damage: 36 to 159
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Dexterity: 49
Required Strength: 128
Required Level: 64
Axe Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x29c42196
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (5: 0 used)

CtA. I hate making runewords, especially ones of that level, that I know maybe 3 characters can make use of. There are many other weapons that you can use in place of death, but CtA is unique and can be of use to every character you make. I wouldn't even consider death, personally.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, you convinced me CtA is better idea. I made it and not only I didn't get bad roll, I got a very good one (IMHO, but I'm happy with anything higher than +2 BO :smiley: ):

Call to Arms
Crystal Sword
'AmnRalMalIstOhm'
One-Hand Damage: 19 to 58
Durability: 15 of 20
Required Strength: 43
Required Level: 57
Sword Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0x8db3a11d
+290% Enhanced Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +12
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
40% Increased Attack Speed
+4 to Battle Orders
+4 to Battle Cry
+4 to Battle Command
Prevent Monster Heal
+1 to All Skill Levels
Socketed (5: 5 used)

Lol, I feel kinda weird for puting 290ed/40ias runeword in crystal sword :grin:

Good roll, nex. A fine choice.

Try it on a sorc and get back to me. I want to know if it's worth blowing my Ohm.

-GG

IMO it is worth Ohm (I'm not sure what I would be saying if I got +1 BO), Sorc became real tank with it. And zealot with more than 2k life is immortal. Great thing, only problem is to decide which of my chars should use most of the time :smiley:

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High