Fast necro Uber Tristram run (video)

Gero said:
IS mage really worth it? i myself was thinking about maxing Revive, since amp, and life tap only counts for melee

Mages are incredibly underrated and are definitely worth maxing. Revives however are best left at 1 point. A skill bonus of 15+ is easily attainable and you will rarely ever need that many revives. I only use them for uber runs and when I get bored :D

FooSoft said:
Mages are incredibly underrated and are definitely worth maxing. Revives however are best left at 1 point. A skill bonus of 15+ is easily attainable and you will rarely ever need that many revives. I only use them for uber runs and when I get bored :D
well im thinking about leaving CE lvl 1 dont think its worth it, and whats so good about mages? elemental damage is no use in Ubers right?

tunis said:
when you tele how did you get your summons to stick close to you like that?

I've found that when I revive Maulers in Durance 2, my minions don't scatter when I tele. Without some melee revives, they will scatter immediately after the teleport. Watch Foosoft's first video, where he starts with ranged revives. Again, they scatter right after the tele.

EDIT: Is this a bug?

--Curby

Gero said:
well im thinking about leaving CE lvl 1 dont think its worth it,

If you ever run Worldstone Keep, Chaos Sanctuary, or the Pits, maxing CE is worth every point. The only time you'd actually want a small CE is if you have a very tightly packed group of enemies, and no other enemies anywhere nearby. This is not the case in the three popular places I mention, or pretty much anywhere else in the game.

See also the Fishymancer guide, and my thread about the efficiency of CE as you go up in skill level.

Gero said:
and whats so good about mages? elemental damage is no use in Ubers right?

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the poison mages keep the ubers from regenerating if you have to step back and regroup, or if you have to go into town.

He probably has other reasons too, as I admit I'm a bit skeptical about maxing Mages. He has an Infinity pole that likely boosts their effectiveness.

FooSoft: If you didn't have an Infinity or any plans/ability to acquire one, would you still max mages? Why? Thanks!

--Curby

I'd definitely max mages even w/o Infinity. Reasons are:

1) Free prevent monster heal from poison mages (10+ minutes at high levels!)
2) Free Chill/slow effects from cold mages
3) Fire and lightning mages do a reasonable amount of damage
4) Mages help a lot against "hard" physical immunes/resists (switch to using lower resist instead of amp for those situations)
5) Mages are an additional meat shield to prevent you from getting hit
6) Mages send tough monsters into recoil, reducing amount of damage they do to you/your minions
7) Mages help a lot in tight areas like maggot lair and arcane sanctuary
8) There is absolutely no better way to spend the last "maxable" skill on a necro. Poison/Bone skills will be too weak with such a small investment, and curses/golems/revives/summon resist are all one point wonders which would be silly to spend additional points on.

Don't compare them to normal skeletons, they have a different purpose. Think of mages as "Utility" instead of direct damage minions. At higher levels though their damage is quite good, and they rarely die. I've had mage vs skeleton duels with people who had their skeletons in mid 30s and my mages owned totally them.

Jiggyness said:
might as well ask......y do people get nightmare mercs...Cheaper??? Different kinds???

Nightmare mercs have different auras ( act 2 mercs, ofcourse)

diablo loves donutz said:
Why clay golem? I'm just asking cause I've never done a summoner before.

Clay Golem slows anythin he hits..
so Dec + Clay Golem really slow down enemy

One more question, these videos all use "real" time, right? They aren't sped up at all? Your reflexes and muscle memory are amazing. =)

--Curby

Yeah it's all real time. I don't have the video editing skills to do it any other way anyhow haha. Both runs have a few mistakes in them, I'm still out to make a run that I'm perfectly satisfied with :wink:

Good job on the runs.
Is there any particular reason why you don't use the beast runeword? And what about the famous AOKL switch for casting?

bonespike said:
Good job on the runs.
Is there any particular reason why you don't use the beast runeword? And what about the famous AOKL switch for casting?

This was answered on previous pages I think. I'm adding some of my own thoughts:

1) HOTO>Beast because the main boss/uber killer is CB on the merc and revives, not the skellies. For nonbosses, I use CE heavily to clear the board. HOTO is also cheaper and more well-rounded.

2) HOTO>AOKL because it is more well rounded, see also point 1.

3) CTA>AOKL switch because the life bonuses are worth more, and any damage bonuses from high RS/SM are irrelevant due to point 1.

Honestly, +3 to all skills for all classes isn't shabby, and HOTO helps teleport by decreasing mana drain and speeding up fast cast. With trang/magefist and Arachnid, you go to 10 frames.

I used to lust after a Beast, but a deeper look at HOTO, combined with its low cost of 2 Guls (to make a Vex) convinced me. =)

FooSoft: Here's another question then. If you have Enigma and enough Str to wear it, you can certainly wear a Monarch at your level. So why not use a Spirit Monarch for an extra +1 to your cries? I can tell that you don't need it, but a Spirit shouldn't be too pricey relative to your other gear.

--Curby

curby said:
FooSoft: Here's another question then. If you have Enigma and enough Str to wear it, you can certainly wear a Monarch at your level. So why not use a Spirit Monarch for an extra +1 to your cries? I can tell that you don't need it, but a Spirit shouldn't be too pricey relative to your other gear.
--Curby

You're 100% correct. I *should* be wearing a Spirit on switch. Only reason I'm not is because I've been too lazy to get one (I only bother using BO on Uber runs).

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High