Pertaining one of the guides.

SupremeGoddess

Jun 17, 2006
Pertaining one of the guides.

First, I listened to what user Emar said and browsed through some of the guides and yes, I'm a newbie to builds and the purpose of this section is to educate those..myself included..in perfecting their craft, Sorceress builds

I took a look at one of the guides and instead of bumping the thread, I'll ask some of you veteran players. The guide I'm interested in doing is Catch's Blizzard Guide seen here http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180024

He states there is 2 ways you can go about it being pure vita or pure block, I definitely want to go for vita. However, There is one of my main problems.. stat placement. I have all the equipment I want to use at high level, Therefore if I follow his guide, Where do I place my stats as I level? The main thing I'll be wearing where I should be concerned with stat placement are 2 things, my Spirit Monarch which needs 156 str and of course, I looked into polearms to place on my Merc when it comes time (Level 20).. Runeword, Insight, same as Spirit Monarch, 156 str.. and I'll need 93 dexterity.

All that considered, I'll be making a Blizz sorc and of course maxing the synergies in following Catch's Blizzard guide, so more or less my main question is as I level following his guide, Where should my stat placement be going?

First of all, no points into dex and energy ever, so it's just a question of how many points you should put into str. Based on your end-game gear, you can calculate your end-game str easily. I don't know exactly what you're planning to wear end-game, but most of the blizz sorc gears don't have any +str mod, except for War Traveler (+10), Shako (+2), Mara (+5) and STorch (+10-+20), which means you'll need 119-129 str end-game. The single determine factor then is whether you're going to use Enigma or not. At level90, Engima gives +67 str, so if you plan to use that, you need only 52-62 base str. With that in mind, you can pump your base str early to around 55, so you'll have an easier time wearing early/mid-game gears. Use some +str charms at low levels if you need to.
Edit: there's nothing wrong with saving a lot of stat points for later use. Even with crappy gears, blizzard can kill pretty much everything in normal and NM easily, so you can just save those stat points if you're not sure where to put them for now.

SupremeGoddess said:
First, I listened to what user Emar said and browsed through some of the guides and yes, I'm a newbie to builds and the purpose of this section is to educate those..myself included..in perfecting their craft, Sorceress builds

I took a look at one of the guides and instead of bumping the thread, I'll ask some of you veteran players. The guide I'm interested in doing is Catch's Blizzard Guide seen here http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180024

He states there is 2 ways you can go about it being pure vita or pure block, I definitely want to go for vita. However, There is one of my main problems.. stat placement. I have all the equipment I want to use at high level, Therefore if I follow his guide, Where do I place my stats as I level? The main thing I'll be wearing where I should be concerned with stat placement are 2 things, my Spirit Monarch which needs 156 str and of course, I looked into polearms to place on my Merc when it comes time (Level 20).. Runeword, Insight, same as Spirit Monarch, 156 str.. and I'll need 93 dexterity.

All that considered, I'll be making a Blizz sorc and of course maxing the synergies in following Catch's Blizzard guide, so more or less my main question is as I level following his guide, Where should my stat placement be going?

Ok... Why are you hitting 93 dexterity? This is throwing me...

You only need enough dex for your weapon.

Vita build goes like this:
Str - enough for gear
Dex - nothing, unless you need some for your weapon
Vit - Everything
Energy - none

The reason nobody is giving you an exact stat placement (i.e., 43 str) is because it is your character and frankly none of us know what kind of charms, rares and the like you will be toting to gain plus to strength.

Enigma gives:
+ (0.75 Per Character Level) +0-74 To Strength (Based On Character Level)

So if you stop at level 85:

85 * 0.75 = 63.75 str (doesn't work in decimals btw)

This is just to give you an idea.

YOU have to factor in how much your charms give, gear and everything.

If you have no plus to str other than Enigma, then you need to hit 77 str with points for a dusk, then add whatever else you need to hit 156. It's a matter of sitting down, looking at your end-game stuff and planning it from there. You really don't learn anything about your preferences and playstyles if someone tells you what to do based on their playing.

In terms of leveling - You need to figure out how much str you need to invest to wear Enigma and tote the Monarch. Then you invest your str, until that point. After that invest in Vit and only vit.

So go over to AS, look at the stats of all your end-game items, or simply boot up and take a pen and paper and work it out. That will tell you how much strength to invest. Since you are doing Vita, everything else after your str would go there. That is how you would invest while leveling.

kuafu said:
First of all, no points into dex and energy ever, so it's just a question of how many points you should put into str. Based on your end-game gear, you can calculate your end-game str easily. I don't know exactly you're planning to wear end-game, but most of the blizz sorc gears don't have any +str mod, except for War Traveler (+10), Shako (+2), Mara (+5) and STorch (+10-+20), which means you'll need 119-129 str end-game. The single determine factor then is whether you're going to use Enigma or not. At level90, Engima gives +67 str, so if you plan to use that, you need only 52-62 base str. With that in mind, you can pump your base str early to around 55, so you'll have an easier time wearing early/mid-game gears. Use some +str charms at low levels if you need to.

Thank you for the response.

Yes, I'll be using Enigma .. so pretty much just pump up str to around 55 and pour the rest into vit and when I get high level the Enigma will pick up the rest?

Another thing, What about the Merc? For the runeword Insight it requires Dex -> 93

SupremeGoddess said:
Thank you for the response.

Yes, I'll be using Enigma .. so pretty much just pump up str to around 55 and pour the rest into vit and when I get high level the Enigma will pick up the rest?

Another thing, What about the Merc? For the runeword Insight it requires Dex -> 93

The Merc's stats are not based on yours... His are independant of you and should be able to hit 93 dex easily enough - however it may not be at level 20...

kuafu said:
At level90, Engima gives +67 str

How did you figure that?

I'm checking my items as emar suggested and it says 0 to str. based on character level.. hence why I was wondering the above

emar said:
The Merc's stats are not based on yours... His are independant of you and should be able to hit 93 dex easily enough - however it may not be at level 20...

Granted.

Well if it is Level 56 to equip I'm looking right now at some of the items I'm gonna be equipped with and +2 to dex (harlequin crest) .. How exactly do you get dex to 93 for the Merc to hold the insight if you not putting any points in dex?

See, This is the confusing part (to me)

Note that str 55 alone is not enough for you to put on Enigma made in any elite armor. If you plan it carefully and get a torch that gives 15+ stat points, at level 75, you will be able to get 77 str (55 base + 5 mara + 2 shako + 15 torch). 77 str is just enough for you to put on a Dusk Enigma, which gives 56 str at lvl75, so you'll get 133 str. Then you'll be able to put on war traveler (which requires 90str to wear) and get to 143str. That's still 13 str short for Spirit. At this point, you have several choices:
1) Don't use Spirit until later.
2) Use +str charms.
3) Put few more points into str, 13 at most, so not a big deal.
4) Combinations of the above 3.
So the only question left is how do you get to lvl75 without any of those gears:smiley:. It is very easy if you go public NM baal runs; and I don't think it'll be too much trouble if you choose to do it yourself. You can use Shado/Occy/Skin of Vipermagi, which should make you strong enough for NM baal. Get 1 more str from charm and you'll be able to use Lidless too.
One typical mistake is to put on something for extra strength, and then take it off. For example, at lvl67, you can put on shako and mara for 62 str, then put on a Nosferatu's Coil for 77 str and wear enigma. Once the enigma is on, you can take off nosferatu and the enigma will keep working fine. The problem is that if you die, you won't be able to get all your gears back (unless you use the nosferatu again). If you die and go back to recover your body, since you can't put everything on, you'll have some gears back and the rest still in the body. If you die again and leave the game, only 1 body will be saved and you'll lose the items on the rest bodies. The saved body is the one with highest value in gold, so you'll very likely lose your enigma in that case. For that reason, be very careful of pre-buffing str using gears (using charms is fine as long as you carry the charms all the time).
Edit: engima gives 0.75 str per level. At lvl90, it's 0.75 * 90 = 67.5, rounded down to 67.

SupremeGoddess said:
Granted.

Well if it is Level 56 to equip I'm looking right now at some of the items I'm gonna be equipped with and +2 to dex (harlequin crest) .. How exactly do you get dex to 93 for the Merc to hold the insight if you not putting any points in dex?

See, This is the confusing part (to me)

:shocked:

Ok.

You would be Hiring an Act 2 Merc. Let's call him Hajeed (that's what mine is called).

You buy Hajeed and he has some str/dex/vit/life already on his screen (hit O). When Hajeed levels he invests his own stat points - you don't invest anything. Since Hajeed is investing his own points he will get to 93 dex on his own. Your Sorci and Hajeed are two seperate entities. Your stats will only help you and Hajeed's stats will only help him. Investing in dex on the Sorci will only allow the Sorci to wear certain items and will not in anyway influence anything Hajeed can wear.

Soooo at level 56 or whenever Insight can be equipped, go to Hajeed and try to put it on him. If he says 'I can't' then look to see that he has the strength and dex requirements met. If not, there are items that you can put on HIM to get him up to the requirements.

kuafu said:
Note that str 55 alone is not enough for you to put on Enigma made in any elite armor

Read the opening line and you are correct, my friend

I checked the armor that I have and you need 77 str. (level 65)

Personally, It's mainly the spirit that needs 156 in my whole setup. +775 defense. However, I feel the spirit will help in the long run. Even though it's Level 54 to equip I probably won't be able to wear it till I get my Enigma on at Level 65 but even then..

You figure if by by Level 65 I have my base str. at 62 as recommended and I put on the Enigma which from what I read in this thread gives you +67 str. what is that? 129? What about those near 30 str. points Ill need to equip the shield? War Travelers boots and harlequin (helm) combined will only give +12 so I'll still need about another 15 to str.

emar said:
:shocked:

Ok.

You would be Hiring an Act 2 Merc. Let's call him Hajeed (that's what mine is called).

You buy Hajeed and he has some str/dex/vit/life already on his screen (hit O). When Hajeed levels he invests his own stat points - you don't invest anything. Since Hajeed is investing his own points he will get to 93 dex on his own. Your Sorci and Hajeed are two seperate entities. Your stats will only help you and Hajeed's stats will only help him. Investing in dex on the Sorci will only allow the Sorci to wear certain items and will not in anyway influence anything Hajeed can wear.

Soooo at level 56 or whenever Insight can be equipped, go to Hajeed and try to put it on him. If he says 'I can't' then look to see that he has the strength and dex requirements met. If not, there are items that you can put on HIM to get him up to the requirements.

Lol.

Simple enough.

See, I catch on. It's just a matter of explaining the little things to make me a better player. I'm learning alot in this thread :)

SupremeGoddess said:
Read the opening line and you are correct, my friend

I checked the armor that I have and you need 77 str. (level 65)

Personally, It's mainly the spirit that needs 156 in my whole setup. +775 defense. However, I feel the spirit will help in the long run. Even though it's Level 54 to equip I probably won't be able to wear it till I get my Enigma on at Level 65 but even then..

You figure if by by Level 65 I have my base str. at 62 as recommended and I put on the Enigma which from what I read in this thread gives you +67 str. what is that? 129? What about those near 30 str. points Ill need to equip the shield? War Travelers boots and harlequin (helm) combined will only give +12 so I'll still need about another 15 to str.
Read the rest of my reply and you'll see my answer:smiley:.

That's what I'll do then.

I'll make sure I have 62 base str. by Level 65 and I can do as you said.. either just find charms or just add in that extra str. I'll need while leveling.. We'll cross that bridge when we get there

However.

Looking at my list right now, early on.. Basically Level 29.. Need str. @ 60 to wear my Frostburns.. Plus it be nice to have 60-62 early on anyways to wear mediocre items to prevent me from dying.. (armor, etc.) so should I get my str. @ 60-62 first, then do vit the rest of the game?

If you don't have +str charms now, just get your base str to 60 and have a much easier life with gears. Stats allocation is not a very strict thing (far less strict than skill points allocation), a few points off the ideal setup isn't going to make any noticeable difference. I pumped my max-block sorc's dex to 300 by mistake and I'm still doing fine now:smiley:.

Okies.

I'll do my str. first then and get that out of the way then it's vit, baby :jig:

So what you think of Catch's Blizzard guide? I see the user is banned so it would be kinda pointless to have made a response in his thread rather then creating a solo topic as I did

Think when done if I have my skill tree done as he suggests and I do the str/vit as we talked about in these 2 pages and when I finally get all the gear I talked about on my character that I'll be able to solo nightmare meph? lol.. maybe even handle some solo hell :evil:

SupremeGoddess said:
Okies.

I'll do my str. first then and get that out of the way then it's vit, baby :jig:

So what you think of Catch's Blizzard guide? I see the user is banned so it would be kinda pointless to have made a response in his thread rather then creating a solo topic as I did

Think when done if I have my skill tree done as he suggests and I do the str/vit as we talked about in these 2 pages and when I finally get all the gear I talked about on my character that I'll be able to solo nightmare meph? lol.. maybe even handle some solo hell :evil:

His guide is really so-so. It's not as comprehensive as it could be. Some things he doesn't go into in great depth, but you should look at are:

FCR- 105 is optimal, you can drop a break below is need be. Check out the Strategy Compendenum.
FHR - 86 is dandy, again drop the break if you need to. Spirit does give some kicking FHR though.
Resists - You really need to have positive, if not max resists across the board in Hell mode.

His guide was pre the new RWs - obviously. Your sorci should be able to do well in Hell provided you can hit the above and get decent HP. I currently have a 93 Blizz sorc and she is fully capable of solo Hell Baal runs, CIs or not, along with many other MFing areas.

emar said:
I currently have a 93 Blizz sorc and she is fully capable of solo Hell Baal runs along with many other MFing areas.

Well hell.

You are the man to talk too then. I'm an East player now playing on West since it went down days ago so so now my new home is US-West.

I tried seeing if you had AIM but didn't see anything.

You pretty much know what I'll be wearing and you know the synergies I'll be maxing after Blizz .. Will I do just as good aside from the points allocated in str., and becomming this pure vita blizzard sorc

(crosses fingers)

emar said:
...I currently have a 93 Blizz sorc and she is fully capable of solo Hell Baal runs, CIs or not, along with many other MFing areas.
What's your merc gear? I'd like to know how you handle IM-casting oblivion knights in the throne, which has unbreakable cold immunity.

On a random note and instead of making another topic.

How well would a Torch & Anni aide in all of the above we discussed?

SupremeGoddess said:
On a random note and instead of making another topic.

How well would a Torch & Anni aide in all of the above we discussed?
A lot. Average torch + average anni save you 30 stat points, and give you +30 resist all and +4 skills. Definitely get both if you can.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High