• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Zealot or Smiter? Need some opinions...

Cragthorn

May 28, 2005
Minnesota
Zealot or Smiter? Need some opinions...

This is my first ladder season, I made a blizz sorc just to do some mf'ing. I'd like to make a paladin and hopefully have a shot at getting a hellfire charm eventually. I've played a zeal pally a little in the past. Is the zealot viable for pretty much all the end game content? Or should a person go with a smiter? What are the pros and cons for each from some of you that have played them?

tmd turka

Aug 2, 2005
Cragthorn said:
This is my first ladder season, I made a blizz sorc just to do some mf'ing. I'd like to make a paladin and hopefully have a shot at getting a hellfire charm eventually. I've played a zeal pally a little in the past. Is the zealot viable for pretty much all the end game content? Or should a person go with a smiter? What are the pros and cons for each from some of you that have played them?

I personally would go with a smiter simply because they are very effective in duels and I think they are slightly better in dealing with the 3 ubers in Tristram. However they are a fairly expensive build but most good builds are.

Darnoc

Jan 20, 2005
Chicago Burbs
a good zealot costs mor to build than a smiter, but why not build a hybrid smiter/zealot=smealot? There's a guide for it in the guide sticky that's pretty decent; I'd say make sure you put a point in vengance to deal with PI's though, and you might not want to put points in defiance if you choose to use a defiance mercenary.