• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Woohoo! My necro survived a hell pit run! (& equip q)

Humphrey

Jul 5, 2005
Nottingham, UK
Woohoo! My necro survived a hell pit run! (& equip q)

First time that's happened, the archers on level 2 usually get me. I didn't find much at all, only this:
Cruel Ward
Minion Skull
Defense: 155
Chance to Block: 23%
Durability: 20 of 20
(Necromancer Only)
Required Strength: 77
Required Level: 44
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: **
Fingerprint: 0xd3d7dac8
+11% Enhanced Defense
All Resistances +9
Adds 2-7 poison damage over 3 seconds
+2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
+2 to Life Tap (Necromancer Only)

It's better than the head I was using before at least.

I'd like some recomendations of equipment/runewords for this character for hell. He's a fishymancer. I'm most worried about resistances, they are all currently negative, and mana regen, after a few CEs I've run out.

For runewords I was thinking of making an Insight polearm for the merc, Duress armour for the necro (or Smoke?), and Splendor or Rhyme if I ever find a good enough necro head. Is this a good idea? And what other equip would be good?

Death_StrikeR

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
its a fishymancer right?
Resistances is not much of a trouble since you're rarely hit ^_^

About mana, bring lots of mana potions...(1 set of HP, 1 set of rejuv, 2 sets of MP)
The reason Blizzard let the NPC sell mana potions is to drink it more often that you should, than the latter versions :D

Humphrey

Jul 5, 2005
Nottingham, UK
Death_StrikeR said:
its a fishymancer right?

Gloams, mages, lightning enchanted things, cold enchanted things dying, archers, those little spiny things in act I, other things with ranged attacks. Bosses.

Edit: Yeah I thought smoke looked good, I'd never seen it mentioned before though. Maybe smoke for necro, duress for merc. I just want to make some runewords really.

Indemaijinj

Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
Death_StrikeR said:
its a fishymancer right?

That depends a little on where and what you run.

Yes it is correct that a summoner nearly always gets a fair warning before he is in real trouble and hightail out of any situation with no difficulty, but I still like my near maxed fire and lightning resists once meteors and gloam lightning starts dropping east and west. Without them I would be forced to play much more slower and cautiously and might even be forced to abandon certain runs.
Getting positive hell resists on a fishymancer is really not that hard. Even for the untwinked there are plenty of options. Wear a Rhyme or Ancient's Pledge shield (or perhaps even a 3 ptopaz shield). Gamble for dual resist gloves and boots. Wear resist jewellery. Keep resist small charms.

Death_StrikeR

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
Humphrey said:
Gloams, mages, lightning enchanted things, cold enchanted things dying, archers, those little spiny things in act I, other things with ranged attacks. Bosses.
So what? stray lightning of the gloams is the only elemental damage that troubles a summon necro.... (or diablo's fire attacks.. and thats it ^_^)
Unless you put yourself on the frontline... you will die for sure...
I know it... i played a fishy before... he finished hell in 1.10 without dying even once... i wished he was a HC :D

Indemaijinj -> good point on ptopaz shield... but you will suffer from STR reqs.. rhyme is just the best for poor... lore for helm is good also... and vipermagi is cool...

Indemaijinj

Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
What strength requirements?

A completely ordinary 3 socket Large Shield can be bought from Charsi in Normal. You should be able to afford the requirements of this one. It is not like you are going to block with the darn thing anyway. And if you care about your run/walk speed you could put them in a Kite Shield as well.

Really it is only once you need four sockets strength becomes a problem (but then it becomes a big problem unless you are a paladin).

Death_StrikeR

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
Indemaijinj said:
What strength requirements?

A completely ordinary 3 socket Large Shield can be bought from Charsi in Normal. You should be able to afford the requirements of this one. It is not like you are going to block with the darn thing anyway. And if you care about your run/walk speed you could put them in a Kite Shield as well.

Really it is only once you need four sockets strength becomes a problem (but then it becomes a big problem unless you are a paladin).
oh..yes..
i thought 3 was 4 :D
what am i thinking....lol

San

Jul 15, 2004
Finland
Death_StrikeR said:
So what? stray lightning of the gloams is the only elemental damage that troubles a summon necro.... (or diablo's fire attacks.. and thats it ^_^)
Not everyone is Mr. Perfect. There are some times when you don't have all your skellys up guarding you, and those mean (insert mean big pack of ugly monsters here) decide to start attacking you. In hell practically EVERYTHING has elemental damage.. it's better to be safe then sorry. I know my Fishy hurts big from elemental attacks.

Death_StrikeR

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
San said:
Not everyone is Mr. Perfect. There are some times when you don't have all your skellys up guarding you, and those mean (insert mean big pack of ugly monsters here) decide to start attacking you. In hell practically EVERYTHING has elemental damage.. it's better to be safe then sorry. I know my Fishy hurts big from elemental attacks.
Not really.
Im not saying you ignore resists, its not just as needed as the other chars.
No Mr. Perfect here, must be Mr. Patience. Wait for your summons, or collect them at your side by using the TP tactic.
And try to get the corpses on easier areas.
Or if you already have the pindle red portal, get the corpse there in the garden.

Indemaijinj

Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
Rhyme is awesome on so many levels, but personally I would have no problem sacrificing Cannot Be Frozen for more resists on a skellimancer (unless he happens to be a commando or general). With a properly played fishy chilling is not a danger, merely an inconvenience. You are usually far enough away from the front line to escape whatever is troubling you even when chilled.

And, yeah I know some might find this discussion a bit superfluous given that a Fishy could go naked for all that matters, but not being a "one hit wonder" (one hit is all it takes to do him in, if you can reach him) means you can go a bit faster and act more reckless, and speed is good if you do continuous runs for items.

My point is that it shouldn't be too hard to get decent resists. Even if you go untwinked, the other point being that if you want to make your Fishy sturdier go for resists since elemental attacks are the thing you are most likely to be hit by.