• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Which Merc can do most elemental damage?

salvo

Jul 8, 2004
T R I S T R A M D2EXP v1.12 RRM/RWM
Which Merc can do highest elemental damage?

Hello everyone

i'm planning to build an Enchantress (twinked) without any backup attack skill, so against PI i will rely solely on my merc. Which merc and setup gear is the most appropriate? Choices are:

Fire rogue
Lighting iron wolf
act2 or barb with certain gear setup? Rainbow facet is essential?

Thankyou in advance

-salvo

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
i have no experience with Enchant, but wouldn't the synergized skill with Fire Mastery be enough to get rid of PIs? if you go with a Act2 Def (Holy Freeze) merc, you'll have additional cold damage as well, plus the slow effect which will be very helpful. don't forget that you can Enchant him as well.

btw, IIRC, Fire Mastery is applied twice when using enchant. first when you cast the spell, and second when you actually deal the dmg.

jiansonz

Jun 22, 2003
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
Llathias said:
btw, IIRC, Fire Mastery is applied twice when using enchant. first when you cast the spell, and second when you actually deal the dmg.

Correct, but only if the sorceress herself is attacking, and only in melee. The Enchanted weapon is treated like any weapon with fire damage, and Fire Mastery boosts those (same with lightning damage and its Mastery; and cold damage weapons take advantage of the reduced resistance due to Cold Mastery)

salvo

Jul 8, 2004
Llathias said:
i have no experience with Enchant, but wouldn't the synergized skill with Fire Mastery be enough to get rid of PIs? if you go with a Act2 Def (Holy Freeze) merc, you'll have additional cold damage as well, plus the slow effect which will be very helpful. don't forget that you can Enchant him as well.

what a stupid me! its enchantress! damage is both fire and physical! Other than fire, that means lite iron wolf is the best choice?

or maybe i'll change my plan to pure Zealtress.

Now lite Iron wolf VS fire rogue, which one can deal more elemental damage?

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
i'm afraid i don't understand why you want the fire dmg from the Rogue when you're playing an enchantress...

and i still suggest an Act 2 HF merc.

San

Jul 15, 2004
Finland
Yep, you'll definitely want a melee merc, since sorcs aren't that great tanks.. of course the most safe melee mercs are the Act 2 Holy Freeze/Defiance mercs. I'd go for Holy Freeze, if you're worried of finding too many PI/FI's. Besides, you can think that the Holy Freeze halves the damage dealt to you, because all the monsters are slowed by ~50%..

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
Yeah. Two elements is enough to get through the game without parking too many monsters. Go with a HF or Might with reaper's.

salvo

Jul 8, 2004
@thias: I Probably going to pure Zealtress without Enchant.

@San: Twinked with wispy and enough vita sc, i'm sure i can reach more than 1k life. I think 1k life with good resist and PDR is sufficient to tank in Hell.

allright, allow me to reveal my build plan:

Widow the TITAN Melee sorc

main weapon: Passion superior Thunder Maul 13%ed
Inventory: full of sc of vita and shimmering

str : all
dex : base
vit : base
nrg : base

i have 2 plan of build:

1. Enchantress

20 Warmth
20 Enchant
20 Fire M.
20 Tele
1 Mana shield

Merc: act2 HF

2. Pure Zealtress:

20 Tele
20 Mana Shield
20 Shiver armor
20 cold nova
1 CM

Merc: fire rogue

the nova is used only to slow down enemy, not as main attack.
I also wonder how much IAS i need to reach optimal attack fps, i'll search for an ias calculator.

end game gear:

Leviathan
Veil of steel
Verdungo
Soul Drainer/Dracul Grasp
Wartrav
triple angelic

whaddaya think :)

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
instead of the "Pure Zealtress", i'd go with a frost zealot, but that's just me. if you want the challenge, go for it!

NeckRomancer

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
salvo,

correct me if I am wrong. You're going for a melee sorc with the "Pure Zealtress" right?

in such a case, enchant greatly enhances your Attack Rating. but in such a case, you can go use a Demon Limb on switch instead of putting points into Enchant.

I just want to ask: why 20 Tele? Is it a synergy for ES?

PS: I'll PM you the site of an IAS calculator.

Death_StrikeR

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
Focusing only on fire skills/enchant will make suffer you alot!
believe me, im stucked in actIV,
believing that a melee sorceress is not nice having other casting/support spells..

TK/ES is a waste...
Absorb before resist is not nice...

maxing frozen Nova is a real waste... be contented with your merc..
still not? equip him with +slow target ... ie... uniquie fuscina and unique death mask...

Get a holy freeze merc... he'll buy you some time in melee battle longer...

Have a support skill, for Fire immunes....
Have a 20 FO, and 10 CM...
and 1 point in Static, too!

That's all...

And dont think of using a cryptic sword for PASSION..
its slower than you think... and require you much IAS than a phase blade..

salvo

Jul 8, 2004
I wants challenge, altough i haven't yet decided between pure zealtress or Enchantress.

Enchantress alone is adequate since it is dual damage (physical and fire), plus Frozen orb will make things much easier, but i don't want another backup attack. And yes, a HF merc will help a lot.

pure Zealtress probably much harder for she is only physical damage, but dont forget we still have berserk as a secondary attack altough it is very slow for a soso to swing the Thunder Maul (even with 400 str?). So we are going to need a fire rogue equiped with WWS (amplify!) to break the PI.

The Titan is now clvl 14 and she is very fun to play! i invested one point on shiver and one point on cold nova, both proven really useful!

While writing this post, i make up my mind:

20 warmth
20 Enchant
20 Fire M,
20 Tele
1 shiver armor
1 cold nova
1-20 ES
left on Blaze for style point

since i dont wan't another backup skill, Tele & ES is the best choice.
This char is heavily twinked, she should be able to kick *** even without HF merc. WWS Fire rogue is my choice (another style point )

She going to be very cool and fun yet challenging :thumbsup:

@ron: thanks for the link, she need 60%ias to reach optimal breakpoint
(cannot use soso, but paladin, do they have diffrent ias need for thundermaul?)