• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Where do I look for runes these days?

Penumbra

Aug 4, 2005
Planet Earth ^^
Where do I look for runes these days?

The last time I played this game, searching for runes, The Countess was the prime spot to hunt for 'em (in Hell mode, at least). I am wondering: what is NOW the best place(s) to hunt for high runes, other than trading?

Naitti

Mar 2, 2004
Lahti, Finland
irc-galleria.net
If you are looking for high runes.. You'd better find yourself very, very much time doing the hunt. Just run through places where there are tons and tons of monsters, kill all, pop all chests, etcetc.. And you still might not find a single high rune ever.

Bert

Apr 18, 2005
Belgium
The fastest way is prolly hf rushes.

With some luck you get a rune um+ with Gul being the highest.

You should be able to trade for a HR pretty easy after some succesfull hellforges

Bert

Sh4dovv

Banned
May 19, 2004
Australia!
you cant look for hi runes....they have such an incredible low drop rate, you may never ever see one drop [i havnt, ive played for 2years]

pretty much they just drop every now and then randomly anywhere

Sh4dovv

Banned
May 19, 2004
Australia!
Bert said:
The fastest way is prolly hf rushes.

With some luck you get a rune um+ with Gul being the highest.

You should be able to trade for a HR pretty easy after some succesfull hellforges

Bert
easy? on new ladder?

even if u got 10 gul runes, that would not get u a ber rune right now assuming there are 1-2 on the server atm

Penumbra

Aug 4, 2005
Planet Earth ^^
Not everyone uses Ladder, you know. =P I prefer sticking to the old ways and staying HC or SC, Non-Ladder.

All I really want is Fal, Ohm, and Um.

Mar 9, 2004
this past ladder season I have played moderately (compared to many at least), hard to extimate really, but sometimes not at all for weeks and some weeks maybe 20 hours. In that time I found 1 ohm, 2 vex, 3 ist (plus a bunch of hf runes, highest being gul)... so I guess I was was quite lucky overall. However, statistically I would find 15 vex runes for every jah rune (for example).. so runes as high as jah ber cham zod need massive amount of time to find.

What I think helps is to always try to play in full or nearly full games (just finding them can be hard).. that decreases the chance for a no-drop.. thus giving you more drops overall... and then as someone was saying above here, just try to kill monsters as fast as you can... and open all chests. Also try to stay as much as possible in areas that have highest area-level (85)... for example, the pit, ancienct tunnels, ruined temple, chaos sanctuary, worldstone keep. There you at least have a chance of high runes dropping. (countess for example can drop Lo at highest).

Other than that, trade for runes, but then you have to accept that they will likely be dupes. Without the dupes if you found a high rune like jah it would make you very very rich.

edit: for fal and um your best chance is to go to countess or some easy act boss like mephisto or superuniques like shenk. For ohm your best chance would really be to cube from hf runes... but since you dont play ladder, follow teh above guide for high runes.

Naitti

Mar 2, 2004
Lahti, Finland
irc-galleria.net
Penumbra said:
Not everyone uses Ladder, you know. =P I prefer sticking to the old ways and staying HC or SC, Non-Ladder.

All I really want is Fal, Ohm, and Um.

Maybe you should do a hf rushes then. You can get that um from nightmare hf and if you get ist from hell hellforge. On nonladder ist ~ hr, or am I completetly wrong?

Penumbra

Aug 4, 2005
Planet Earth ^^
Well, I'm hell-bent on getting Chaos, no obstacles are too much for my quest. Thanks for the advice, although I have never found even one unique item in the Pits during my runs.

HoshNasi

Jun 21, 2005
How does one rush HF as fast as possible? I have seen lvl 1 chars in hell and just scratch my head at it. How are they getting past the ancients? Anyone know?

Also there is a pretty popular D2 website that has a posted dupe method that is working for 1.11 (so the forum says). It involves mucho lag and trades. It won't be long guys before the dupes hit.

Penumbra

Aug 4, 2005
Planet Earth ^^
Oh no.. ph34r the wrath of the Soj descendants. Dupes :(. I believe level 1s get to Hell mode by being rushed along with another person who needs the quests. The lvl 1 stays in town, while the Rusher and higher level go and get the quest. Because the other rusher needs the quest, the lvl 1 can just stay in town and get it.

buttershug

Feb 13, 2005
Centre of known civilization
Penumbra said:
Oh no.. ph34r the wrath of the Soj descendants. Dupes :(. I believe level 1s get to Hell mode by being rushed along with another person who needs the quests. The lvl 1 stays in town, while the Rusher and higher level go and get the quest. Because the other rusher needs the quest, the lvl 1 can just stay in town and get it.

Could you have 6 lvl 1's in town getting the quest?
If so I could see a group getting organized.
Basically it would work out to 7 hell forges for one char getting to level 40.
I realise all the chars would have to be rushed but getting to level 40 would take the most time.

Aug 4, 2005
California
Sh4dovv said:
you cant look for hi runes....they have such an incredible low drop rate, you may never ever see one drop [i havnt, ive played for 2years]

pretty much they just drop every now and then randomly anywhere

Just wondering( I don't play much)
Vex=HIgh Rune?
So far it's the only good rune I've ever found in a game I played, and it was completely by accident.
I was just going through the Halls trying to get to Nihlathak and some monster dropped it.

Guess my chances of that ever happening agian are low?

muzyk

Aug 13, 2005
Toronto Canada
best thing for you to actaully do to get those HR is just Mf the ussual spots find some nice items and trade them for HRs thats what i do. Because to get good items you have your MF% to increase your chances of finding nice stuff however for runes its all random. So imo best way is just to find nice items and trade them for hrs

Evrae Altana

Aug 13, 2005
Rubby Ducky
You can also run an area with a lot of monsters in it. For example, the Flayer Jungle in Act 3 or the Cow Level have hordes of monsters. Just kill, kill, and kill some more and you might find a nice rune.

Ãœber

Aug 12, 2005
Act 5
forget the countess

Did around 100 runs for those keys in about 2 days. i got about 15 amn runes 5 sheals and probaby 3 hels and around ~10 sol, nothing special unless this was ladder.

I say do the rush for hellforge games.

Hacknshoot

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Ãœber said:
forget the countess

Did around 100 runs for those keys in about 2 days. i got about 15 amn runes 5 sheals and probaby 3 hels and around ~10 sol, nothing special unless this was ladder.

I say do the rush for hellforge games.

It's like everyone can hell rush or something... I can't, and I find good runes from the Countess anyway. I got a Mal the last run I did on the old ladder, and I never upped it...

Myrakh-2

Jun 23, 2004
flyff.cable.nu
Hacknshoot said:
Iand I find good runes from the Countess anyway. I got a Mal the last run I did on the old ladder, and I never upped it...

IIRC, IST is the top of her special rune drop; above that she's just an ordinary monster.