• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

whats the best type of barb to start ladder with?

Aug 3, 2005
whats the best type of barb to start ladder with?

i was thinking frenzy but people are telling me that it sucks, leading me more into boring old ww'er. any suggestions?

Volvagia

Jun 20, 2005
North Carolina
I started with Frenzy. IMO since ww has no synergies, it is not damaging enough to be effective in hell without a high end weapon. Frenzy and Conc both can reach much more respecatble damage levels, and personally I find Frenzy more fun PvM than ww. And most people aren't going to worry about being serious competitors in duels for awhile.

Aug 3, 2005
how did you distribute your stat points as a frenzy barb?
im looking into this one

20 frenzy
20 bo
20 shout
10 taunt
10 double swing

or is war cry needed?
if so

10 war cry and 10 shout, how does that look?

gorf

Aug 2, 2005
Under your bed
Ash Houseware's guide rocks for frenzy barbs.

I was #101 on the barb ladder last night with my frenzy barb studzilla. Realistically though, most barbs, bowazons, and other item dependent characters just aren't going to get as powerful as fast. I would highly recommend warcry, because though your def may be higher than a zerker, you're going to get hit, and often. Assuming 2xbotdz don't somehow materialize in your inventory, hell is going to be an excercise in tanking for sorcs for quite a while. I used warcry almost exclusively while tanking baal runs from lvl 30ish to lvl 48, and recommenced the process in nightmare before passing out around 4AM. I'm definitely not the most experienced barb out there, but that has been my experience. Just warcry until you're running out of mana, then frenzy briefly to leech leech leech. Watch out for Lister, though. That guy hits hard, and laughs at warcry.

Gorf

My lvl 68 skills (iIrc)

Bash-1
Double Swing-1
Double Throw-1
Leap-1
Leap Att.-1
Frenzy-20

Increased Stamina-1
Increased Speed-1
Iron Skin-1
Natural Resist-4
Sword Mastery-rest 10ish I think

Howl-1
Taunt-1
Shout-5
Battle Cry-1
War Cry-2
BO-20
BC-1

I would agree with your last statement about giving up shout for WC, but I don't think you'll need 10. I don't know, up to you.

Anyone who's played the uber three a bunch think that a barb using a maxed warcry would be a good teammate for extreme minion control?

JonnyK

May 23, 2004
I've made a conc barb for this ladder (my first one) I like it because BO is a synergy, so there's no question on maxing that or not. I can't decide right now if i want to max a weapon mastery or berserk. I think zerk is good enough with a point + item bonus's. I'm going to wait till i get either a good sword of axe, hopefully axe, and put points into that mastery, i've got max bo/conc right now with 11 points saved up @ lvl 65 for whatever mastery i decide to go with. a guide i read recommended axe, so you can get eth berserker axes with runewords, and there's some decent uniques as well. I think it should be a nice build when i'm finished.

Pherdnut

Sep 13, 2004
If you're playing with a group, leaper barbs can be a lot of fun and useful too but they don't move very fast solo.