• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Untwinked druid help

Jul 3, 2005
Australia
Untwinked druid help

Need some advice on my *cough* mighty *cough* druid (mighty as in he MIGHT be the worst equipped char uve ever seen in act 4 normal - he still uses his FIRST maul i ever gambled in act 1 normal, despite spending almost all my dough on gambling em mauls) (AND normal hellforge gave me an el. yes, an EL. a freaking el. why, oh why??!) :rant: .

so heres the build i was thinking:

13 WW
20 Fury
12 Lycan
15 HoW
20 Fireclaws
20 Fissure
1 bear

With pre reqs.
i plan on using Stone endgame (i play 1.10 vanilla) for the def, bonuses and charges of molten boulder.

see, i use fury for non phys immunes and fireclaws for phys immunes.

might merc. havnt decided yet between 2h mauls (which are fun in normal) and 1h/ shield. eventually in hell i would twink items to survive.

1) does anyone know wat kind of damage i would end up with and if it would be feasible in hell
2) is 2H survivable in hell? i ask this cos of all the rogue/skele archers that seem to pack a big punch
3) long term gear suggestions for high level?

any critique and comments (other than 'u suck n00blar!') would be appreciated, be as comprehensive and brutally honest as possible.

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
You might have trouble getting the runes for Stone, but other than that, you should be fine.

Rizzo

Jun 21, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Visit site
ComeOutAndPlay said:
might merc. havnt decided yet between 2h mauls (which are fun in normal) and 1h/ shield. eventually in hell i would twink items to survive.

1) does anyone know wat kind of damage i would end up with and if it would be feasible in hell
2) is 2H survivable in hell? i ask this cos of all the rogue/skele archers that seem to pack a big punch

2h MAULS!! Mauls are fun and handsome.

1: if you don't use a weapon, I don't think you can deal more than 10-20 damage :p (I have no idea)
2: YES! And it's k00l. Use a ribbie or a big hurty maul. Mauls are fun and handsome.
3: Pick one of those handsome goodlooking mauls...

PsionicAngel

Jun 23, 2003
Heaven
Visit site
ComeOutAndPlay said:

1- It is feasible, don't forget that you can upgrade rares, which are now good again in 1.10
2- That is what High Life, High Defence and Faster Hit Recovery are for.
3- When you get to NM Meph, Shop him a little bit, find yourself a bonesnap, ugrage it, then upgrade it again, and you're set. For the other parts of your gear, I'd say focus on resist and life, if you can some PDR and Crushing Blow.

Death_StrikeR

Jun 23, 2003
Philippines
PsionicAngel said:
1- It is feasible, don't forget that you can upgrade rares, which are now good again in 1.10
2- That is what High Life, High Defence and Faster Hit Recovery are for.
3- When you get to NM Meph, Shop him a little bit, find yourself a bonesnap, ugrage it, then upgrade it again, and you're set. For the other parts of your gear, I'd say focus on resist and life, if you can some PDR and Crushing Blow.
Upgrade a bonesnap? duh!
Maybe I already had found 2-3 IK mauls before i found the needed runes for the upgrade.

ComeOutandPlay -> If you can't really find a descent weapon... try Steel runeword for 2-hand axes till you find a better one.
Then when u reach Act5, have some XP'ing, at the same time, MFing with eldritch, shenk and pindle.

ricrestoni

Jul 29, 2003
Sao Paulo, Brazil
If I were you, I would have a IK Maul or Ribcracker as Fury weapon, and a 110% IAS phase blade in the switch as Fire Claws weapon. Those would give great damage output!

About your build:

start with 1 WW and 5-ish Lyc. Then get a grizzly, max those 4 skills (including HoW, but starting with Fury), then spend the rest in Lycanthropy and only mind WW if you reaaly find some IAS reason. Research that, if you need..

LordMay

Mar 6, 2005
I say leave ww at lvl1. That gives you 11 more skill points which can go into synergies, lycan, or HoW. You can buy better mauls. I just spent about 200k gambling mauls in act4 norm just to find I could have bought a better one in act3. If your gear is really bad than use these runewords.

Helms:
Lore(ort+sol)
Nadir(nef+tir)

Armor:
Stealth(tal+eth)

Weapon:
Strength(amn+tir)
Malice(ith+el+eth)

Another reason 2h is good for fury is that blocking interupts the attack which is something you dont want.

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
ricrestoni said:
About your build:

start with 1 WW and 5-ish Lyc. Then get a grizzly, max those 4 skills (including HoW, but starting with Fury), then spend the rest in Lycanthropy and only mind WW if you reaaly find some IAS reason. Research that, if you need..

Uhh...what about AR? WW gives 15% more AR per level, which REALLY helps out-in all parts of the game.

And HoW could be used, but Oak is also another option.

Moar

Oct 12, 2003
About that upgraded bonesnap...

Could somebody please give the level requirements for both upgrades?

I don't know to what item types it upgrades to or I would look it up myself. :)

Moar

Jul 3, 2005
Australia
Thanks for the replies, guys.

But i was mainly asking about the damage fireclaws would reach with 20 in FC, 20 in fissure and 16 in molten boulder (from stone).

If someone can calculate it or gimme the info I need to work it out, that would be great.

Also, about the idea of a really fast phase blade for switch (which sounds good), should I then use a shield with the phase blade (considering I wont be able to leech). This means id actually have to spend points in dex. Any thoughts?

Sir Lanksalot

May 17, 2005
I live in New Zealand
Wouldn't firestorm be a better synergy for fire claws than fissure. Molten boulder is a pre-req for fissure and IIRC (which i often don't!) putting a point in it would mean you wouldn't be able to use the synergy bug from stone.

With 20 firestorm, 20 FC and 16 Molten Boulder and using chippydip's skill calc, i got 2203-2319 fire damage.

Jul 3, 2005
Australia
Sir Lanksalot said:
Wouldn't firestorm be a better synergy for fire claws than fissure. Molten boulder is a pre-req for fissure and IIRC (which i often don't!) putting a point in it would mean you wouldn't be able to use the synergy bug from stone.

With 20 firestorm, 20 FC and 16 Molten Boulder and using chippydip's skill calc, i got 2203-2319 fire damage.

oops yeah thats what i meant.

as u can probably tell, I havnt used these skills before hehe.

thanks for the calc, i hope thats enuff for hell

Sir Lanksalot

May 17, 2005
I live in New Zealand
The damage isn't too bad for hell, just remember to have a fast weapon when using FC, you'll also have the versatility of fury which means PI's and FI's shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would use a shield with the phase blade but you don't need to worry about high block rate, i would look for a shield with + skills (sigons/lidless) or look for ones with resists.
Also I would personally use oak sage over HoW as with FC you're not gonna need that extra physical damage and the life from oak sage would be more useful when using fury than the ar and ed. With a few points in ww and the ar from FC and fury, you shouldn't have an ar problem even goin untwinked.
Hope this helps

Blascid

Jan 7, 2005
Sir Lanksalot said:
The damage isn't too bad for hell, just remember to have a fast weapon when using FC, you'll also have the versatility of fury which means PI's and FI's shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would use a shield with the phase blade but you don't need to worry about high block rate, i would look for a shield with + skills (sigons/lidless) or look for ones with resists.
Also I would personally use oak sage over HoW as with FC you're not gonna need that extra physical damage and the life from oak sage would be more useful when using fury than the ar and ed. With a few points in ww and the ar from FC and fury, you shouldn't have an ar problem even goin untwinked.
Hope this helps

I read recently that if one equips a shield they'll be blocking and not attacking-but if you're not blocking you could be dead, person pereferance-I suppose. Depend on what your life looks like overall. If you deside to go with Oak you might lean towards no shield.

I'd also say more then a few points in WW-Five-ish sounds a litte better..

jiansonz

Jun 22, 2003
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
ComeOutAndPlay said:

Fury is a fast attack. It will benefit a lot from CB. Therefore I suggest a 'Strength' weapon. 'Black' is even better if you don´t mind the Knockback. Or any of the uniques/set items with CB.

Other than that:

* This depends on if you allow yourself to repeat areas/bosses as you go. If you don´t, cram on as much MF as you dare in Normal and NM, go with a high players setting and let your merc make the killing blow in on all bosses (if he wears MF).

Adventuring in Hell:

* Equpiment that ensures maxed cold/fire/lightning resistance. It´s best to save your Normal and NM socket reward and use it to plug holes in your resist setup if needed (Ral/Ort/Thul in your favourite helm/armor).

* Crafted Mesh Belt (buy the belt from NM Charsi, Fara or Elzix) with resist(s). Very often the best solution for the untwinked melee player.

* Crafted Heavy Gloves with IAS (And resists if possible). Another glove option is to use Sigon´s gloves, paired with one or two more items from the set. They are so common that you can almost count on them before Hell.

* 'Stone' is very hard to collect the runes for. Look at cheaper armor runewords, or just plain 4s armor you can fill with whatever you have.

* Save all three imbues for ethereal elite merc weapons, unless you have found something like Hone Sundan or so.

May 14, 2005
For Fire Claws I suggest you to use Chu-Ko-Nu (exeptional repeating crossbow). It is very fast and gives nice attack speed. 110+% IAS Phase Blade is better if you can find it.

And yes, two-handed is viable, -- my HC druid still alive in Hell.

Sir Lanksalot

May 17, 2005
I live in New Zealand
Blascid said:
I read recently that if one equips a shield they'll be blocking and not attacking-but if you're not blocking you could be dead, person pereferance-I suppose. Depend on what your life looks like overall. If you deside to go with Oak you might lean towards no shield.

I'd also say more then a few points in WW-Five-ish sounds a litte better..

Personally i would see the points in dex as a waste as the FC is only a back-up skill (if i understand correctly) for PI's and so would be used a lot less than fury. I would see those 100+ stat points - used to boost block - better used in vit to boost life. I'm not entirely sure on the block/attack thing but IMHO the useful mods on a shield outweigh the negatives. But i suppose its up to the player to decide what is best for them and go for it.
GL with your druid and let us know how you handle things in hell, i'm sure i have a stone armour lying around somewhere and fireclaws has always appealed..!