• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Unhandled exception error.

ragnar_ii

Sep 17, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Visit site
Unhandled exception error.

Whenever I do baal runs, after about the 4th or 5th run, when I try to join the next game it sits at the "please wait" screen. I then proceed to hit the windows key to get out of diablo to see the "Unhandled Exception" error. This only happens when I try to join Baal running games. Ive tried turning graphics down to 2D but that didnt work. I tried closing my sound program(cant think of its name right now) and have yet to see if that works. I know my computer isnt overheating because even in game the cpu doesnt rise about 36C and the mobo stays around 22-25C. Only thing I can think of is missing drivers somewhere. Is there anyway to find what drivers I need to update? I just built this PC about 2 months ago, which is why there is a chance of a missing driver. Either way, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FreezerBurn

Banned
Dec 16, 2004
Texas
ragnar_ii said:
Whenever I do baal runs, after about the 4th or 5th run, when I try to join the next game it sits at the "please wait" screen. I then proceed to hit the windows key to get out of diablo to see the "Unhandled Exception" error. This only happens when I try to join Baal running games. Ive tried turning graphics down to 2D but that didnt work. I tried closing my sound program(cant think of its name right now) and have yet to see if that works. I know my computer isnt overheating because even in game the cpu doesnt rise about 36C and the mobo stays around 22-25C. Only thing I can think of is missing drivers somewhere. Is there anyway to find what drivers I need to update? I just built this PC about 2 months ago, which is why there is a chance of a missing driver. Either way, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

probably the new patch. it's been doing the same thin to me. but i have a mac.

ragnar_ii

Sep 17, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Visit site
You havent found a way to fix it yet either then? It makes for really hard leveling. But what I really dont understand is that it only does it when I join baal games. I can join any other games just as fast if not faster then the speed I was baaling and nothing happens. Only baal games. I really dont get it.

Orphan

May 23, 2004
The difference between baal runs and other games is that there's a greater chance of you joining a Baal run game at pretty much exactly the same time as someone else (since everyone sort of tries to get in as fast as possible).

I remember awhile ago, when me and a friend (both of us in the same room) tried to join the same game at the same time, we would get an unhandled exception. We're pretty confident that the error was a result form us joining the game at the same time, because if one of us waited abit, we have no problem.

It might be similar to what your experiancing.

ragnar_ii

Sep 17, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Visit site
Orphan said:
The difference between baal runs and other games is that there's a greater chance of you joining a Baal run game at pretty much exactly the same time as someone else (since everyone sort of tries to get in as fast as possible).

I remember awhile ago, when me and a friend (both of us in the same room) tried to join the same game at the same time, we would get an unhandled exception. We're pretty confident that the error was a result form us joining the game at the same time, because if one of us waited abit, we have no problem.

It might be similar to what your experiancing.

Maybe, although the odds are extremely against that because of how many times it has happened to me and nobody else in the games ive been in. But, Im hoping it is just something like that or lag, due to the massive players in games, related.

Shaven Monkee

May 27, 2005
On your back!
ragnar_ii said:

I get exactly the same thing, only when I'm tryin to do baal runs as well.
I get "unhandled exception 0000000005" or some crap.

Been gettin that for years. All the Blizz fixes DONT WORK. As far as I know there is NO fix.

Please post your system specs. I am curious to see whatcha runnin, I wanna see if there is any commonality here.

Hrothgar2222

Feb 3, 2005
Pennsylvania
I've had the same problem for a while now. Irritating thing is I can remember it starting about 1-1.5 years ago. Cant remember exactly what changed about my comp configuration at the time. It definitely isnt something new in the 1.11 patch. Certainly happens most often for me during baal runs. Much like OP's situation. My comp isnt new like the OP's though.

Specs:

WinXp sp1
Athlon Xp 2000+
radeon 9700 NP (pretty new drivers)
512 mb ram

miroba

Jan 23, 2005
cali
www.myspace.com
the same thing keeps happening to me
it happened to me twice already today
and i had just reinstalled the game
it doesnt happen when i try joining a game
it happens when im in a game
and it just freezes so i have to alt tab out and it says that message
its really gay and frustrating....

Aug 1, 2005
Hi guys. I have been having the same problem.. i think... The one I get says "unhandled acception" then below it says "access violation". If this is the one you are getting let me say this.. I never got this problem until having reinstalled windows on my computer. Thing is, I used someone else's cd's. From the research I've done it mentioned 2 KNOWN reasons..

1) Your video card can't support the game at times... try getting an upgraded one

2) Some unfortunate people like myself, simply get it randomly. Blizzard has spoken of this problem and said it is simply a random problem. They don't know what causes it (aside from reason 1) or how to prevent it.

As the person above mentioned, as annoying as it is, it only takes 2 seconds to reboot. In the beginning I'd have to wait 5 minutes or I'd just keep failing to join games but now I have no problem with that. So if it's not ur video card, then there is no solution other than getting a different computer. Hope that helps.

Fluffballer

May 4, 2005
This is not at all scientific, but it's my hypothesis that this fixed the problem for me. I used to get that ALLLL the time. I'd copy and paste the game name, then change the Baal run number. I stopped copy and pasting and instead typed in the full name. I haven't gotten the error since.

It might be a million other things, but it's worth a try if you're copying and pasting.

Aug 1, 2005
Fluffballer said:
This is not at all scientific, but it's my hypothesis that this fixed the problem for me. I used to get that ALLLL the time. I'd copy and paste the game name, then change the Baal run number. I stopped copy and pasting and instead typed in the full name. I haven't gotten the error since.

It might be a million other things, but it's worth a try if you're copying and pasting.

That's actually quite interesting b/c I copy/paste the game names ALL the time. It's a good theory and I'm willing to test it. From here on I'll try typing the full name and see if it continues to happen. I'll keep you updated.

Aug 1, 2005
Shaven Monkee said:
Well, as I said, I get it during baal runs too. I think it is linked to the cut/paste command as well. Hearing your stories, I am almost convinced it is so.

Today I didn't do any baal runs, however, I also didn't do any copy/pasting and didn't have any problems what so ever. I'll keep you updated once I manage to kill Hell Ancients.. bah!

ragnar_ii

Sep 17, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Visit site
Shaven Monkee said:
I get exactly the same thing, only when I'm tryin to do baal runs as well.
I get "unhandled exception 0000000005" or some crap.

Been gettin that for years. All the Blizz fixes DONT WORK. As far as I know there is NO fix.

Please post your system specs. I am curious to see whatcha runnin, I wanna see if there is any commonality here.

Specs.
Asus A8V MB
Athlon 64 3200+
1GB Corsair ddr400 RAM
80GB Western Digital HD
Radeon 9600SE 128MB

Hope this helps.