• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Ultimate Slowazon?

JanusJones

Feb 10, 2005
St. Louis, MO, USA
Ultimate Slowazon?

Quick question, folks. I have ICE in a Blade Bow and did a few fast calculations, figuring out that I could hit a 2 fps (machinegun, baby!) Strafe rate with only 60% IAS. Since Slow is capped at 50% but stacks with the slowing effect from Holy Freeze, I was thinking about the following equip:

Blackhorn's Face with a 15% IAS jewel
Atma's Scarab (for the lovely CTC Amp Damage on hit!)
Treachery (new Assy runeword - 45% IAS, Venom, and Fade)
Clegaw's (more slow and the all-important Knockback mod)
Nosferatu's Coil (10% slow to hit the 50% cap)

Boots and Rings can go any way - I was thinking Gore Riders for the Deadly, Carrion Wind (for leech and the crowd control provided by the Twisters on hit), and, of course, Ravensfrost.

I could, I realize, swap out the Clegaw's for a nice pair of Dracul's, which would garuntee survival in Hell (had a pair on my Windforce strafer and niether she nor her merc EVER died). For the sake of making a specialized build, however, I'm SORELY tempted to go for full slow. I also have a nice eth Reaper's Toll to stick on my merc, allowing for Decrepify on top of the other slow effects.

Am I crazy, or would this work?

Wmeredith

Sep 16, 2004
It works beautifully, I played a build like this for awesome party support most of the last half of ladder. Minus the "treachery" of course. I would usually start with a strafe volley to get everything nice and slooooow. Then I would unload Frozen Arrow into the packs, which would stop dead anything but champions and uniques. This is a great char to have in your party, it almost makes tanks obsolete.

My only caveat with your plan: get a dual leech ring instead of that Carrion. Nothing will ever get close enough to you to get hit by the tornado proc', and you'll need some sort of Mana leech.

JanusJones

Feb 10, 2005
St. Louis, MO, USA
Wmeredith said:
It works beautifully, I played a build like this for awesome party support most of the last half of ladder. Minus the "treachery" of course. I would usually start with a strafe volley to get everything nice and slooooow. Then I would unload Frozen Arrow into the packs, which would stop dead anything but champions and uniques. This is a great char to have in your party, it almost makes tanks obsolete.

My only caveat with your plan: get a dual leech ring instead of that Carrion. Nothing will ever get close enough to you to get hit by the tornado proc', and you'll need some sort of Mana leech.

I agree about the mana leech - having tested out the ICE bow on my Windforce strafer, I was surprised at how quickly my blue globe drained. Another concern, however, was the lack of resists - frankly, I won't have any! Which may mean a single hit from a Gloam will equal instant death (as it so often does). Of course, I may get away with it by pumping my vitality to around 350 or so . . . but even with a ton of life, sometimes Hell can stomp you if you don't have enough resists.

Thanks for the friendly reply man!

Bionic

Mar 27, 2004
Slow missiles and Decoy solve my Gloam problem, and I too have negative resists all around.

Aug 13, 2005
Wow, someone finally posted something on the slowazon build. I initially built my amazon around activating "on striking" effects, and it quickly becomes obvious to include a good amount of slowing gear. My dream gear is a bit like this:

Ice RW bow / Thunder stroke & Lidless (weapon swap)
Blackhorns
Chains of Honor
cleglaws/draculs/lava gout (swap as neccessary)
atma's
Goblin Toes or Gore rider
arachnid's mesh
Resist all rings

Really, I would recommend ditching the Treachery and put back in some decent resist all gear, if any attacks gets through to your character with this build, it'll likely be magical missile.

Anyway, the skill I maxed with my character on ladder is not freezing arrow. Instead, I poured 16 points into poison javalin & 20 into Plague. The idea is to have the poison doing a good level of damage over time, while I'll still be able to keep strafing with the bow in the same time to add even more damage on top, and also activate effects like open wounds, curses, crushing blow, etc. I only need a few levels in strafe to hit 10 enemies so the bow skill tree took me less than 15 skill points. This allowed me to put the rest of my points into pierce, penetrate, critical strike, valkyrie, and decoy to make it last a few hits. I reach my designed skill levels around late 70s and if I had take it all the way to 99, I would have around 20 skill points to spare...

Atlas, I'm not very good at trading, and before the reset, my ladder amazon got to lv 86 using the below, have 6 skill points left unallocated, and is just tremendous fun to solo through hell with:

Elite Riphook / Random +3Java skill & Sigon shield
Blackhorns
smoke Runeword body
cleglaws/draculs/lava gout
atma's
Dual resist rare boots,
resist all rings
Random resist belt
Bunch of resist charms, + a few cold sc.

Poison Javalin 8.6k(12 sec), Strafe damage 500-600, 30% Open wounds, 2% Amp damage, significant slow, knock back/10% Life tap/Lv10 enchant, all resist 60+ in hell, multi-elemental (poison, physical, lightning from "lightning bolt" skill) damage to handle almost any monster.

JanusJones

Feb 10, 2005
St. Louis, MO, USA
Hey, the thread lives - yay :clap: !

So I have re-considered - with the 20% IAS on my Blade Bow ICE, I realized it will only take 40% more to hit the 2 fps breakpoint. Highlord's, Nosferatu's, and a 15% IAS jewel will work just fine (gloves have to stay Clegaw's). That will leave me some wiggle-room to choose Fortitude for the extra 300% ED. Now the one thing I will miss is the Atma's Scarab for the sexy Amp Damage, but still, 2 fps and 300% ED is just nice.

droid

Aug 6, 2008
California
Re: Ultimate Slowazon?

why are you necroing this post? Nothing's changed for slowazon (or the similar medusazon) in 1.13. They still work fine, and they still dont do anywher near enough damage in Hell to be viable. Except we know theres no /2 breakpoint for Strafe now, apparently...

If the game had any use for party-support builds, slowazons/medusazons would be very useful. But D2 is geared more towards being able to dish out huge offense as fast and hard as possible, which is why you only see FA or MS/Strafe bowzons. The best way to slow a monster is still just to kill it dead.

DH Amazon

Jul 4, 2003
Visit site

why are you necroing this post? Nothing's changed for slowazon (or the similar medusazon) in 1.13. They still work fine, and they still dont do anywher near enough damage in Hell to be viable. Except we know theres no /2 breakpoint for Strafe now, apparently...

If the game had any use for party-support builds, slowazons/medusazons would be very useful. But D2 is geared more towards being able to dish out huge offense as fast and hard as possible, which is why you only see FA or MS/Strafe bowzons. The best way to slow a monster is still just to kill it dead.

Upping is good, something to talk while waiting new patch.

At least some areas, like worldstone 2 is easy area for slowazon in full games.
Easy to access and those souls/beetles etc... are easy target.

And full game pits too.

Soloing chaos is fast almost any bow-char, so that one area too.

Upped Riphook, Blackhorn's, Highlords, Forty, Loh, Razortail, War Travs, raven, mana leech rare ring. Demon Limb at switch for enchant charges.
8fpa multi, 50% slow, max pierce, both merc and char almost immune to lightning(souls).
Might merc, eth-Reapers, Blackhorn's, Forty.

droid

Aug 6, 2008
California

Yeah Slowazons are good for surviving Souls, but again the damage is way too low. I cant even imagine trying to get through WSK in a full game with ~1k damage strafe, its slow even with a Silence crusader bow and a good deal of CB.

I'd swap LoH for Cleglaws though for the extra slow + KB, I thought 75% was max for HST on normal mobs? And you're going for a max damage build there? Usually I'd go more like Duress + Gores + Atma's and do more of a strafer build, especially if you were specializing in WSK where Strafe is your best friend for sniping Souls down the hallway off-screen.

DH Amazon

Jul 4, 2003
Visit site

Yeah Slowazons are good for surviving Souls, but again the damage is way too low. I cant even imagine trying to get through WSK in a full game with ~1k damage strafe, its slow even with a Silence crusader bow and a good deal of CB.

I'd swap LoH for Cleglaws though for the extra slow + KB, I thought 75% was max for HST on normal mobs? And you're going for a max damage build there? Usually I'd go more like Duress + Gores + Atma's and do more of a strafer build, especially if you were specializing in WSK where Strafe is your best friend for sniping Souls down the hallway off-screen.

That 75% should be max, and cleglaw is best choice for gloves.

That knockback from Cleglaw's was main reason to reject them as they push monsters away. Merc can't curse them fast if I push them away.
After decrepify curse, souls takes 6x (damage resist goes from 90 to 40) more damage so cursing really helps.

After 50% slow and decrepify curse, monsters are slow enough.

Souls have quite low life, but have 90% damage resist and are poison immune. Those other mods in items, monster cannot heal (from helmet) and open wounds helps a lot in full games, as those two mods are only way to stop life regeration if monster is poison immune.

Those other monster (in worldstone 2) are almost as easy as Pits monsters, they die easily, at least after decrepify curse.

That 1k damage seems low after max grand charms, ~30-35% deadly strike and ~70% critical strike.

Silence is slow against souls, as decrepify curse boost damage 6x and amp 11x. It's safe, but very slow.

naranjadita

Feb 18, 2010
Moon

Just a random thought.
Has anyone mentioned upgraded WWS? Looks pretty cool IMO as it has resists, Amp, and does double damage at almost 100% rate on high levels.

alphaz

Oct 23, 2007
NZ <-> Malaysia

Just a random thought.
Has anyone mentioned upgraded WWS? Looks pretty cool IMO as it has resists, Amp, and does double damage at almost 100% rate on high levels.

There is a guide for witchwild strafezon somewhere in this forum, I have had one not too bad.