• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

To wait or not to wait

OCAU_MIKLE

Banned
Jan 4, 2005
To wait or not to wait

Ok guys. i rescently aquired this sheild:
Code:
Sacred Rondache
Defense: 342
Chance to Block:  48%
Smite Damage: 35 to 58
Durability: 35 of 35
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 99
Required Level: 52
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 82
Fingerprint: 0x6a08f967
All Resistances +44
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 0 used)
My problem is that i dont have the runes to make an elixe :(. Should i keep this and hope that the required runes fall or trade it for something usefull. It was found on vanilla 1.10 and socketed using 1.11 (Etheral bug). Any suggestions / donations are welcome :thumbsup:.

- OCAU_MIKLE

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
This would be better posted at the trading forum.

There probably would be people willing to trade nice items for that.

Congratulations on the nice find.

EDIT: changed "definitely" to "probably" because now I'm not sure because of the relatively low defense.

Mankey

Mar 31, 2005
California
essojay said:
EDIT: changed "definitely" to "probably" because now I'm not sure because of the relatively low defense.

Well without the eth bug it would only have ~ 246 def. Fairly high CTB as well. One of the better exile worth shields if I've ever seen one. (Although I doubt I would have rolled on in a cube hoping for 4 sockets)

Lucky_Seven

Aug 5, 2003
Portugal
I don't think that is lucky but i'ts my opinion, if you don't get 4 sockets in first try you can always try again....

To legit players the only choice is a socket quest by Larzuk, a good shield for exile is expensive and rare to try 4 sockets in the cube.

It's a traded shield or self-found?

I have 2 nice shields for exile but no runes.... I would never use a cube recipe to try the 4 sockets.

Royal Shield
Defense: 261
Chance to Block: 45%
Smite Damage: 24 to 32
Durability: 31 of 31
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 104
Required Level: 41
Item Level: 79
Fingerprint: 0xe5ae986b
All Resistances +44
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Vortex Shield
Defense: 310
Chance to Block: 39%
Smite Damage: 5 to 87
Durability: 46 of 46
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 138
Required Level: 66
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x7248817
All Resistances +42
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Thirty-Thirty

Dec 16, 2004
Germany
Lucky_Seven said:
To legit players the only choice is a socket quest by Larzuk, a good shield for exile is expensive and rare to try 4 sockets in the cube.
Bear in mind that in 1.11, the cube socketing recipe adds the ethereal bonus a second time, which makes it very tempting. The two shields of yours could have base defences of 391 or 475, if I'm not mistaken. The worst possible roll on Exile's defense bonus would make those into 1251 and 1520, respectively. That's absolutely positively freakin' insane.

Uzziah

Feb 20, 2004
Lucky not really, getting 4 sockets when the max is 4 sockets is a 50/50 crap shoot.

The added ethereal bonus is well worth the 50/50 chance at getting 4 sockets and keeping the 4 socket shield for exile.

The quest gives max sockets to a white item, the cube recipe gives equal chance to 1-6 sockets. So 1/6 to get 1 socket, 1/6 to get 2 sockets. . . 1/6 to get 6 sockets. But with a max of 4 sockets you get 3/6 to get 4 sockets otherwise written as 1/6 to get 4, 1/6 to get 5 but reduced to 4, 1/6 to get 6 but reduced to 4.

parawizard

Jul 10, 2004
I have been doing Lower Kurast/Flayer Runs. I did 7 tonight :) Nothing higher then a dol unfortunatly. This will be the last thing I need to make for my zealot! and then hell be uberly pimp :uhhuh:

Lucky_Seven

Aug 5, 2003
Portugal
Better a bird in your hand then 2 flying :D.

More defense don't do much for you and a eth paladin shield without 4 socks = crap.

But is me that look at this items as very rares.

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
if i may hijack this thread, would you try the socket recipe in this shield i just found from a rack on the way to the Hell Countess:

Gilded Shield
Defense: 155
Chance to Block: 52%
Smite Damage: 20 to 28
Durability: 42 of 50
(Paladin Only)
Required Strength: 89
Required Level: 38
Item Level: 78
Fingerprint: 0xd5f9d169
All Resistances +44

i have nowhere near the required runes for an exile, so i need either 2 (Rhyme or Splendor) or 3 sockets (Sanctuary, if i can find the runes); most likely a Rhyme. Now if only Spirit was possible in vanilla SP...

ps. my zealot is currently using a 41% res. all, +26% fire resist, +30% poison resist, 17% fhr rare Aerin shield

Lucky_Seven

Aug 5, 2003
Portugal
In this case you don't take a big risk try to socket with the cube.

2Socket -> Rhyme/Splendor
3Socket -> Ancient's Pledge/Sanctuary
4Socket -> Spirit with RWM :| (Very good for a Hammerdin)

GG :D

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
Definitely go Spirit with that shield. Otherwise, you might want to socket it with 4 perfect gems (preferably sapphaire) and sell it to a pvp pally.

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
i took the runes and the ruby and the shield and put them in the cube to socket. it gave 4 sockets. then my sister started arguing about why we'd socket the shield and exited without saving. ahh... she can cube a stashful of runes to get a Thul but goes crazy if i make Stealth in a Normal armor...

then i tried to explain that it was no worth without sockets and that we had more than enough runes, so convinced her to socket again. she offered backing up and trying till we get 2 sockets (habit from savable games), but that was rejected and now i have a 3 os 44 res all Gilded shield!

now, what do you suggest me to do with it? even 3 perfect diamonds give better resists than Ancient's Pledge (would've been much better if it stayed 4os). Elds might also be an option. i don't have the runes for Sanctuary, none of them, so what should i do?

essojay

Jun 26, 2004
NH
Frankly, Ancient Pledge is only something you should use in the low levels when you have the runes from the Barb saving quest in normal. After that, it's better to save some pdiamonds and socket them for more resists. Of course, now you have a 3-socket shield, so it would seem a waste when you could have had even more resists with a 4-socket shield. :(

Lucky_Seven

Aug 5, 2003
Portugal
Llathias said:
i took the runes and the ruby and the shield and put them in the cube to socket. it gave 4 sockets. then my sister started arguing about why we'd socket the shield and exited without saving. ahh... she can cube a stashful of runes to get a Thul but goes crazy if i make Stealth in a Normal armor...

then i tried to explain that it was no worth without sockets and that we had more than enough runes, so convinced her to socket again. she offered backing up and trying till we get 2 sockets (habit from savable games), but that was rejected and now i have a 3 os 44 res all Gilded shield!

now, what do you suggest me to do with it? even 3 perfect diamonds give better resists than Ancient's Pledge (would've been much better if it stayed 4os). Elds might also be an option. i don't have the runes for Sanctuary, none of them, so what should i do?

You used the cube to socket your shield and first time you got 4 sockets then you socket the same shield second time and got 3 sockets, is this?

Llathias

Banned
Mar 12, 2005
Turkey
Task Menager

i know it's not right, that's why I didn't do it say, till I got a 2 os one. and also the reason why i specifically mentioned that, for i still feel bad despite i got a crappier result than the first. and the unsaved exit was not to try again; i wanted to do that because that was my first attempt at socketing (don't use the Cube except for the rune/gem upgrade), but my sister objected to the use of the runes. then i convinced her that the shield was worthless without sockets.

and no, i didn't reroll any RW, quest rewards, imbues or anything. neither do i have any form of interaction with anyone, currently including my other characters.

Sleepless

Dec 17, 2004
vajurewi said:
ok totally noob question - what is the eth bonus for Exile?
Exile has ED%,self repair mod and offer defiance aura. So 1.11 eth bugged (+50% eth ED reapplied when socketing with the cube) elite shield is the pwnzor for exile.