• These forum archives have been curated by the community bringing two decades of Diablo 2 knowledge to new players. They are purely for reference and cannot be posted in. Use the main PureDiablo forums for all new conversation.

Thinking about a making a comeback

Madness

Jun 22, 2003
Israel
Visit site
Thinking about a making a comeback

Hey guys, I wandered out of my native OTF for the first time in a while...

With graduating and not finding a job I've been looking for a way to pass the time. And as the newer games tend to require newer computers, and newer cash, I've thought about retunring to good ol' Diablo.

Last time I played was in the early days of 1.10, right as it came out. Then the ruined economy, swarms of hackers and cheaters, and general ****ty attitude, caused me to quit cold turkey, just as I perfected my Iron Barb (etheral Arkains for teh win). I wonder if anyone from the ETF still remembers me, as that place was my home before I quit.

So anyway, the only thing stopping my is the general feeling that today's Diablo II is much different than the one I played. So many new runewards, items, and skill tweaks probably changed the bulids completly.
Im afraid to become lost and thus quickly bored with all the new things (these uber quests sound pretty wacky).

My hope was that I could get some feedback from you guys, that will help me decide if I should really get back into this.
I've never been too much into PvP, my love for the game is saved for PvE, and working in teams has always been fun. At least until finding people who still do it became impossible. So are there still (maybe now with the new ladder season and all?) people who play the game for what it is?
How hard is it to start from scratch again? Is it possible at all, or is the economy still so messed up?
What realm should I play in, I used to play Europe, and I thought that's what I'll do this time, but does it matter?
How are the new items? They seem so powerful compared even to the top items back in 1.09. Are the old items still used?

I'm sure Ill think of more specific questions, but I wanted to hear what you guys have to say about 1.11 Diablo.

Any input would be appreciated,

Madness

Madness

Jun 22, 2003
Israel
Visit site
I never liked hardcore, I mean, Im far from being a perfect player, thus, I usually dont make a big deal of dying. And I dont like to lose hours of work over a minute of lag, lack of attention, or just plain lack of luck. :teeth:

About the Single Player, I guess I could, but playing alone bored me eventually, and it's a lot harder to find people to play with.

Evrae Altana

Aug 13, 2005
Rubby Ducky
Welcome back, even though I have absolutely no clue who you are. :lol:
In 1.11, Blizzard did a mass banning of accounts and CD-keys linked to the use of Maphack. Now the B.net world is relatively hack free, at least for now.

How are the new items? They seem so powerful compared even to the top items back in 1.09. Are the old items still used?
Since you said the last time you played was in the early days of 1.10, I'll assume by new items you mean 1.10 items. Yes, they are powerful and over time, they came to replace most of the 1.09 items.

How hard is it to start from scratch again?
It's not hard to start from scratch again. Since ladder has just resetted, now would be the time to start fresh, since the new ladder is not flooded with items at the moment.

Cooked

Jul 2, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
It can get confusing but it is still fun. Some builds which were good became no good, then are playable again. I had a Frenzy barb but there was no real interest in Frenzy, now Frenzy is all the rage again, especially with the advent of the new "World Event" (Smiters seem the most popular.)

On a side note... has anyone seen the SoJ counter this season or did the new "event" replace the old one? And here am I with 100+ SoJs saved for 1.11.

rykuss

Banned
Aug 15, 2004
Running the deserts of Athas.
Madness said:
I never liked hardcore, I mean, Im far from being a perfect player, thus, I usually dont make a big deal of dying. And I dont like to lose hours of work over a minute of lag, lack of attention, or just plain lack of luck. :teeth:

About the Single Player, I guess I could, but playing alone bored me eventually, and it's a lot harder to find people to play with.

Hey there and welcome back. It shouldn't be too hard to find a questing party right about now, although i have been going it solo myself. Since the reset and now that MH, bots and the like are gone, it's pretty much a level playing field. Good luck and happy hunting!

keithano

Aug 2, 2005
Macau
www.fotop.net
Go for UsEast or West with new ladder, u have enjoy the game just rite after the reset of the ladder.

I was back 3weeks ago at the end of the ladder2. After a week of taking back all the stuffs, I was able to catch up the new ladder. Though I'm not on the top 1k , but I was pleased by having fun doing quests with other players , which are of the same lvl of me. Not just rushing thru acts and quests.